Question Sending a car-seat message to preschool parents, what would you include?

vrclay

I'm sending an email message to my child's preschool parents to see if they are interested in purchasing some of the extra seats I have as a result of out-fitting our school van with new seats. There was some trial and error before we got seats that fit.

I want to include info on where to have seat instected locally and would like to include info on the benefots of RFing and 5 point harnesses. I also want to keep it short. I'll direct them to this site as well.

What would you include?

ADS

vrclay

Anyone? I'm sending the message this afternoon.

Here is my draft - I'd like it to be shorter.

While we’re talking carseats, did you know that this week, September 19 - 25, is Child Passenger Safety Week?

Did you know that children are 5 times safer riding rear-facing. AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends that all children under age 2 years be in a rear-facing car seat. Even if their legs hit the back of the seat.

Certified technicians recommend pre-school age children remain in a 5 point harness seat until about 5 years old. Even then, until your child can sit without slouching, leaning over, and playing with the seatbelt, it’s best to keep him or her in a harnessed seat.

Another great resource I found while researching is www.car-seat.org. It is an on-line forum with information provided by Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians. They give wonderful advice about which seats would work based on your children and vehicle.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has estimated that close to 3 out of 4 parents do not properly use child restraints ... and if you are one of them, that child safety seat may not protect your child the way it should. You can have your seat installation inspected at Fairfax County PD, Mount Vernon District 2, 2511 Parkers Lane. You need to call for an appointment - 703-360-8400

Angela

That sounds great. I would probably use bullets to make the 'facts' stand out more and make it more precise. So maybe say:

While we’re talking car seats, did you know that this week, September 19 - 25, is Child Passenger Safety Week? Here's some helpful info I'd like to pass on about car seat safety:

-Did you know that children are 5 times safer riding rear-facing? AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends that all children should be in a rear-facing car seat until at LEAST age 2.

-Certified technicians recommend pre-school age children remain in a 5 point harness seat until they can sit without slouching, leaning over, and playing with the seatbelt or at LEAST until 5 year olds.

-Check this site out for more info: www.car-seat.org. It is an on-line forum with information provided by Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians.

-The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has estimated that close to 3 out of 4 parents do not properly use child restraints.

-Certified Technicians also recommend that you have your seat installation inspected. You can take part in this FREE service by calling 703-360-8400

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would definitely include VAs law. (I'm going by the location I see for you, if you're in a different state then obviously use the right one! LOL)

http://www.vahealth.org/Injury/safetyseat/laws.htm

The major requirements of Virginia's Child Safety Seat Law:

"•Child restraint devices are required for children through the age of seven (until 8th birthday). Safety seats must be properly used and approved by Department of Transportation standards. There is no height or weight requirement associated with this law. The Virginia law is based solely on age. "

And I would include that the law is only the bare minimum standard. That most kids at the age of 8 cannot be transproted safely in the vehicle using only the vehicle seat belt. That once the law is complied with, parents should do the 5-step test. If their child does not pass, they should remain in a booster until they CAN pass.

Link at the bottom for a PDF that can be reproduced and handed out with your letter:

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

cat mommy

I would probably mention that kids can be comfortable ERF and that breaking their legs is unlikely to happen but it is better than breaking their necks. A

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would probably mention that kids can be comfortable ERF and that breaking their legs is unlikely to happen but it is better than breaking their necks. A

If I were sending info home to new parents, I would definitely include that.

But I can say that in my experience, you're only going to get people to read a few lines. So I'd suggest that the op make her points short and sweet, and concentrate on points that are going to be pertinent to the preschoolers whose parents she's sending the flyer home to.

:twocents:

swtgi1982

in all honesty if your preschool is anything like ours, I would just aim to get kids, or keep them in a harness. We have a ton in NB turbos who in no way meet weight reuirements

karlatta

I know you already sent a message, but in case future readers come looking...

I think that if I were addressing preschool parents, I would concentrate my note on 1) correct booster fit and use, and 2) correct harness fit and use. I don't know that I'd even worry about ERF, since the chances that someone will turn their 3 or 4yo RF are pretty low, and as mentioned here, parents aren't likely to read a bunch of details.

I'd make just a few points:
- how to tell if a booster fits correctly
- when a child is ready for a booster
- when a harness is outgrown FF
- use a top tether for a FF child

mommyfrog

Except that a lot of preschoolers have younger siblings. I'd leave in something about rf to the limits of the convertible car seat or at least 2 years.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC