Nautilus in overhead bin?

ninejr

Do you think I could fit a Nautilus in an overhead bin if I took apart the top and bottom?
I am trying to figure out a way to not check one of our seats when we are traveling in Dec.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Do you think I could fit a Nautilus in an overhead bin if I took apart the top and bottom?
I am trying to figure out a way to not check one of our seats when we are traveling in Dec.

What's the height on the bottom portion? We traveled with two backless Turbos a few years ago and they fit in the overheads (on the smallest plane with a bit of wiggling, but not too bad). If the backless Nauti is the same height, it'll fit. If it's any taller, it won't.

If you can post the Nauti height, I can measure the Turbo height & let you know.

ninejr

I'm sure I've missed something, but why not just use it on board?

Wendy

The baby is on lap so I would use the Marathon for A during the flight but for B in cars once we are there. I was wondering about the Nautilus because I am certain the Marathon wont fit overhead.

DH says that we will just have to find a box that will fit the Marathon and then we will just use the Nautilus on board.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It probably would fit overhead in two pieces, but it'd take up most of the space. You could probably put the bottom under the seat in front of you and the back up above, though.

No chance of buying the baby a ticket and using both seats on board? That'd be safest for both baby and carseat.

Otherwise, yeah, pack up the Marathon in a box as if you're going to ship it, and then gate check it. Maybe you can email around a local mom's list to see if someone just bought a Marathon and will let you use their box?

Wendy

ninejr

No chance :(, I already tried to get DH to agree to buying the baby a ticket. We really don't have a lot of money right now, we didn't even buy the 3 tickets we have, my uncle did, and I am really not comfortable asking him to buy another one since they are international tickets and expensive (I could probably talk DH into a $300 ticket, but not $700).

That is what I was thinking about the Nautilus, the back overhead and the bottom under the seat in front of us. What I am really hoping is that there will just be an extra seat next to DH and we can just put the baby in her seat.

We normally don't bring seats at all when we visit my family because my parents have seats for the girls to use (and we have a CARES harness for A), but the reservations that we got this time have an overnight lay over in Seattle so we have to have seats to get from the airport to the motel and back (despite the fact that when I called the motel they said that we could just bring the kids in their shuttle/12 passenger van with out seats :eek: since it is only 2 miles)

ninejr

What's the height on the bottom portion? We traveled with two backless Turbos a few years ago and they fit in the overheads (on the smallest plane with a bit of wiggling, but not too bad). If the backless Nauti is the same height, it'll fit. If it's any taller, it won't.

If you can post the Nauti height, I can measure the Turbo height & let you know.

Bottom portion = 11" tall, 16" back to front, 20" side to side
Back portion = 10.5" deep, 24" long, and 18" side to side
(these are approx since I just went out to the car to measure and didn't uninstall)

andre149

I'd post an add on craigslist looking for a box... I'm sure someone would be happy to give you the box from a recently purchased seat :) I certainly would be if someone needed it and was willing to come get it lol.

Eclipsepearl

Overhead bins are not one standard size and different airlines might have different overheads, even on the same aircraft.

The center bins on 747's are usually very large and could fit a car seat.

You mentioned that this is an international trip? Are you flying a U.S. company? Remember that foreign companies may not accept your seat and force you to check them as luggage (happened to me).

o_mom

Can you swing the cost of something like a RideSafer Travel Vest?

You could use that in the shuttle and then the seats you have at your destination (still taking the Marathon, but not having to check/stow anything). You could take the CARES harness as well in that situation and if you get an extra seat put the baby in the MA, older one in CARES.

ninejr

You mentioned that this is an international trip? Are you flying a U.S. company? Remember that foreign companies may not accept your seat and force you to check them as luggage (happened to me).

Yes it is a US company and it is just Canada to the States so the flights are short and the planes are smaller than an overseas flight.

Can you swing the cost of something like a RideSafer Travel Vest?

That had crossed my mind, would I have the same difficulty getting the RSTV in Canada as I would getting a US seat in Canada?

o_mom

That had crossed my mind, would I have the same difficulty getting the RSTV in Canada as I would getting a US seat in Canada?

I'm not sure on that... I didn't see you were in Canada when I posted (read Seattle and that put me in US mode :eek:) . You might find someone in swap that would send to Canada or if you have someone with a US address that could re-ship that would be an option. Maybe someone from Canada can chime in on that point.

mytwobugs

This may be a long shot, but since it sounds like you really only need the extra seat for the trip to and from the airport, could you see if the hotel would be willing to make 2 trips. First trip: one parent and one child in marathon from airport to hotel. Van goes back to airport with Marathon. Second trip: other parent and other child in marathon from airport to hotel. Next am same thing in reverse.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC