Next Gen. Marathon or Roundabout question

abemom2

With the sale at Dear Born Baby, I'd like to get the new marathon. Which material is comfortable, not too sweaty or plasticy? I'll need to send someone to get it, so I won't be able to see it before getting it. It will be for my 4 yr. old almost 35 lb. son, who on his own free choice enjoys RF!

ETA: Looking at the measurements, I think I'll get the Roundabout. My kids are short, and gain slowly, and it's a difference of $40. My 5 year old is still less than 40 lbs., so it will definitely last him till he's ready for a booster. Are there any structural differences between them? Is the Onyx comfortable?

Thank, Ana

Last edited:
ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just how short is your son in the body? What seat is he in right now, what slots is he using, and where are the tops of his shoulders in relation to the slots?

Nobody in Canada has seen the new covers yet because the seats aren't in store yet so far as I know.

From what I've read the MA65 shell is already shorter than the original MA, I'm not sure how many 4yr olds would actually fit it rf'ing...

chay

I wouldn't recommend a Roundabout55 (I'm assuming that's the Roundabout you're talking about). According to the web site the top harness slot is 1" lower than the new MA65 and I'm assuming that means the shell would be shorter as well which means he'd have to have an incredibly short torso to fit RF (even the new MA65 is pretty short). Perhaps someone on the U.S. forum could verify but I believe they have different shells.

Most people in the States have been measuring the new MA65 to be slightly shorter than the old version. I got to play with one on the weekend at an event, I didn't get to measure it but it doesn't look any bigger than the old version . My fairly short torsoed 4 year old would be close to (possibly over) the 1" on a old MA (he can't RF by weight) but he has many, many inches above his head for growth in a Radian as a comparison. For a 4 year old I'd look for something that is going more likely to get to 40lbs RF in - a Radian or a Complete Air.

ETA - the middle of the Onyx is the same as the old MA Onyx - it is sort of slippery kind of stuff (not sure if that would qualify as plasticy for you). I have 2 of the old ones and my kids don't mind them and I like that they are easy to clean and hide the dirt well. The Cowmoo one is the same fuzzy fabric as the old MA Cowmoo cover. Not sure about the other covers since I didn't see them.

Chila88

We just received our Marathon65's at BRU today :thumbsup: The headrest raises and no more rethreading.

What?????? :( I was just there on Tuesday and you didn't have them!!! I'm dying to come in and play with them....although I'll probably want one, which isn't good considering I just bought a Frontier for my older daugther instead of a new covertible.

snowbird25ca

We just received our Marathon65's at BRU today :thumbsup: The headrest raises and no more rethreading.

Amazing, they arrived slightly ahead of schedule! Last conversation I had with a boutique in the city I was told that production had been delayed by a week and they were hoping for this week. They must've shipped quickly - or maybe they shipped first to BRU instead of retailers?

I admittedly haven't followed the MA65 release very closely because neither of my kids will be using the seat. :eek:

techie

What?????? :( I was just there on Tuesday and you didn't have them!!! I'm dying to come in and play with them....although I'll probably want one, which isn't good considering I just bought a Frontier for my older daugther instead of a new covertible.

Ha ha, sorry! Just got put out yesterday afternoon. Only the Onyx in right now, Blueprint shouldn't be far behind.

The Boulevards should be in next week, cross fingers!!

Athena

I wouldn't recommend a Roundabout55 (I'm assuming that's the Roundabout you're talking about). According to the web site the top harness slot is 1" lower than the new MA65 and I'm assuming that means the shell would be shorter as well which means he'd have to have an incredibly short torso to fit RF (even the new MA65 is pretty short). Perhaps someone on the U.S. forum could verify but I believe they have different shells.

They are the same shell in the U.S. Just the harness slots differ. I'd be surprised if a 4 yo fits in it RF, unless they are tiny.

DadToThree

We recieved all our stock yesterday too! Exciting times! Snuggle Bugz is having a tent sale on Saturday Oct 2, 2010! More details to come...

dingohate

What is the sale that Dear born is having!?!

I'd love to order from Snugglebugz in support but I'm in the GTA... Dad2Three will anything be available online October 2nd? I need 2 new Marathons!

abemom2

I forgot his # measurement, but he's in the 3rd slot in the TF. He's really enjoying being RF, so is another Radian the only option?

Thanks again, Ana

ETA: I'm reading some reviews on the Complete Air, and it seems like a bit seat for RF - we might be getting the Dodge Grand Caravan, and I would be putting this in the back bench. My 2 younger ones will be in the middle.

Last edited:

techie

My BRU now has two diff coloured Marathons (a 3rd is Special Order) and two diff coloured Boulevards (one reg, one CS, a 3rd is Special Order). No Advocates yet.

They are pretty snazzy looking, loving the new patterns!

chay

abemom2 - the Complete Air will likely take up less room than a Radian because it is easy to get installed more upright (up to 30degrees). Radians are tall and have a RF boot that you have to use which makes them fairly reclined in most vehicles.

If you have your heart set on a new Marathon I'd try your kid in it and see how much room he has over his head and see if it's enough to RF as long as you think you want to. If it isn't enough then the Complete Air and Radian are your best options because both should have more inches to grow.

snowbird25ca

We ordered a Boulevard from TRU but no word yet if shipped. How come all these places out east have Britax Tent Sales? Any in BC??

Only certain higher volume Britax retails get Britax Tent Sales. I know that there was one in BC in the Vancouver area this past spring or early summer. There was one at e-children in both Edmonton and Calgary at the end of June too.

So they happen, but I think because there are more of the "big" Britax retailers in ON, we hear of them out east more often. :thumbsup:

I'm also really liking the covers on the new Britax seats. Haven't had a chance to play with the seat much but agree with the recline mechanism seeming flimsy at first. Don't know if it loosens up over time or if it's just sturdier than it feels, but it definitely caught me off guard despite having read about it here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC