Is there a law against reselling used carseats?

Katina128

I'm on a board for moms local to me, and some have said there is a law about selling used carseats. While I hope this is true, I need proof to back them up. Can anyone tell me if there is such a law for Tennessee? TIA!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm on a board for moms local to me, and some have said there is a law about selling used carseats. While I hope this is true, I need proof to back them up. Can anyone tell me if there is such a law for Tennessee? TIA!

I don't know specifically about TN, but it's not a law anywhere else. The 'used seat checklist' at www.cpsafety.com is a great resource... basically it advises against buying a seat that you don't know the history of, as it may be unsafe to use.

:)

Knittingfor4

Maybe not a law, but last I checked around here the resale shops weren't even taking them. Maybe certain companies have policies about it.

U

Unregistered

Um can you add Michigan to that as well? I am trying to find out for my sister who has a newborn and bought a carseat from a consignment shop that the hospital informed her she cannot use or be reported to child protective services... the merchant doesn't want to give her back her money.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Look at the carseat swap here -- techs, including techs in MI and TN, sell their seats all the time. It's not illegal to sell used seats. It's not illegal, though it is a "parental decision", to buy them. Consignment shops are generally buyer beware.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
California has a law against selling crashed seats, but not used ones in general.

The hospital does not have the authority to tell people what seats they can/can't use. If someone is doing something inherently dangerous, they can report to the authorities like anyone else could. Since there's no law against using a second-hand seat, the cops would probably laugh and ignore.

That said, a seat shouldn't be used if you're not 100% confident of the history, and there's no way to know the history of a consignment store seat.

tjham

I know that around here (Phoenix area), Savers and Goodwill do not take car seats anymore, but the smaller thrift shops do. I have bought several to get them off the shelves, if they are cheap enough. I figure it's a donation to the charity.

She must have told the hospital she bought a used seat, otherwise how would they know? It's good they are trying to make sure the baby is safe, but they probably don't have a legal right to tell her that.

And the consignment store probably doesn't have to let her return it. :(
Consignment stores usually have signs saying "all sales final".

Bolly

There are laws and rules that were recently enacted in regards to what can be sold at Thrift Stores etc... I think it is more to do with testing etc... which is't done with used goods. I also vaguely remember something was done about it because of all the protests. I will look it up when I have time later but I am betting that is what it stems from.

mommyx4

Maybe not a law, but last I checked around here the resale shops weren't even taking them. Maybe certain companies have policies about it.

It's not a law in NH. What I was told by a friend who works at a consignment store is that their insurance company prohibits it.

Kobain's Mommy

Only small thrift shops here sell used seats and one really run down children's resell shop. Larger places either won't take them if you bring them in. If someone leaves them at the night/after hours drop off spot they throw them away. One small children's resell shop (similar to Once Upon A Child) will only take the covers. Most won't want to just sell the cover so they take the whole seat home and put it on CL.

mom of six

Um can you add Michigan to that as well? I am trying to find out for my sister who has a newborn and bought a carseat from a consignment shop that the hospital informed her she cannot use or be reported to child protective services... the merchant doesn't want to give her back her money.

I would report this to the manager of the Birth Center of that hospital. That is totally inappropriate behavior on the nurses part. The only right a hospital has is to inform and educate about best practice. They can in no way serve as an enforcement agency or threaten like that. If you do not get an appropriate response from the manager of the birth center then report it to the Director of Nursing or ask to speak to the hospitals legal team. Nurses should not use fear tactics to achieve compliance.

I worked as a nurse in a Family Birth center for 8 years. You just can't treat people like that.:(

YinzerMama

Our thrift stores won't take kids anything due to recall issues. They turned away a little tikes basketball hoop I was trying to donate - luckily the guy in the car behind me said he'd take it.

I would hate to see a law banning the sale of used car seats. There IS a risk if the seat has been in an accident but I think MOST people are just selling because they don't like or need the seat for whatever reason - child has outgrown it, no longer using grandma's car, whatever. You have to weight the pros and cons and see if their story makes sense. I would suspect that the vast majority of infant seats are sold because they are outgrown and people are done having kids or just don't want to hold on to it for another kid.

I have sold used car seats and I can say with 100% certainty that there was nothing wrong with them so I feel like it would be very hypocritical of me to say to someone never to buy a used car seat. A consignment store does add a 3rd party to the mix where you're not even meeting the owner but again with an infant seat most are really just outgrown. Personally I'd economize elsewhere but I'd also strongly suspect that seat is fine and threatening to report to CPS is way out of line.

It would sure be nice if there was some sort of indicator on a seat that let you know it had been compromised like the thing on your cell phone that tells you it got wet. I swear one of my Britaxes had something but maybe I am imagining. Some strap that was supposed to break the stryrofoam in the event of impact?

Athena

Who at the hospital? It would be great for you to report them because scaring a new mom like this is inappropriate and mean. I agree with others that this is not grounds to report her to CPS. Unfortunately, I don't think the store has to refund her money.

I worked as a nurse in a Family Birth center for 8 years. You just can't treat people like that.:(

Unfortunately, some do. I was mistreated horribly by some of the nurses at our birth center, to the point of feeling very frightened. I did write to the center and they apologized and all that.

I swear one of my Britaxes had something but maybe I am imagining. Some strap that was supposed to break the stryrofoam in the event of impact?

The tether does have an indicator, some stitching that is supposed to rip. you can read about it on their site.

bpirof

I know where I live in New York, consignment shops can only sell seats new, sealed in the box, in Vermont they can only sell cars seats purchased from the manufacturer

bpirof

Was the car seat expired?

MommyShannon

There may be an issue with the seat. It could be expired, recalled, or just not fit the baby. All those would be reasons for them to not approve of the seat. They also may be concerned that she doesn't know the history of the seat so it might not be safe. Is the baby small? Some babies are too small for some infant seats. The straps have to come from below the baby's shoulders.

mom of six

There may be an issue with the seat. It could be expired, recalled, or just not fit the baby. All those would be reasons for them to not approve of the seat. They also may be concerned that she doesn't know the history of the seat so it might not be safe. Is the baby small? Some babies are too small for some infant seats. The straps have to come from below the baby's shoulders.

But none of these reasons are grounds for threatening to report to CPS.

Sometimes nurses get on a power trip. We know more about some things than the average person and people tend to believe anything a nurse says. It can go to your head. Then you start thinking you really do have power and threaten people with stuff that isn't true to gain compliance and the average citizen believes you because "you are a nurse". Not all nurses are like that, obviously, but there are enough that are...:(

MommyShannon

I'm not saying its right or not for them to threaten CPS, but those may be their concerns. Is it a "proper use" state that is making them feel empowered to report illegal use? Personally, if a nurse is showing concern, I'd want to step back and make sure there isn't one of those issues I listed. If she gets confirmation from a trained cpst that its safe, then fight it. Those would just be things to check and the nurse may not know anything about it but maybe there is a real danger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC