Question Radian XT general and TF comparison questions

trinalb

After a lot of research I think I have decided on a Radian XT for DS, mostly because it RF longer and has SI protection. I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice and, since I can't actually see them in person before buying, I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind helping me out. DS is in a True Fit at the moment so some questions are comparisons, but please answer any that you can. Thanks!

• Which Radian XT fabric/pattern do you have and, appearance aside, do you like it? I mean, does it seem comfortable for your LO or is it hot or scratchy, etc.? Is it durable, does it wash well, show stains easily, etc.? Do you like the microfiber velour or the polyester mesh better? Pros and cons to each?
  • How difficult and time consuming is it to remove the fabric for washing? Do you have to uninstall and reinstall the carseat to do so?
  • I have heard Radians are difficult to install; what makes them so difficult?
  • How much room does it need (front to back) for RF installation? How does it compare to the TF for space? I would LOVE to see a Radian/TF comparison photo if anyone has one!
  • Once installed, is it easy to adjust the shoulder harness length with the front adjuster? How does it compare to the TF? The TF is a pain to adjust and DH is constantly leaving the straps too loose because of it.
  • Does the Radian XT or the TF have more legroom for your LO? Do you have a comparison photo?
  • And I would LOVE to know if any of you has installed a Radian in a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, and how well it works (or doesn't).

Thanks again SOOO much! This forum is awesome! :love:

ADS

April

I prefer the plush covers. I have several Radians with different covers. I love the look of our mesh (Rio) one, but it gets fuzzy on the bum area and I don't like the feel of it. So I would prefer a plush cover (Flora being my all time fave). The mesh is less hot in the summer though.

The cover is difficult to remove. For me it took about 7 minutes, which in my opinion is a long time.

In terms of installation, I think its two things: 1) its incompatible in more vehicles than other seats, and 2) there is a learning curve to it. There are lots of Radian tips and tricks to be found on this forum though. I can usually install a Radian in under 5 minutes (mind you I'm a tech whose owned 5 RNs in the past 4 years). Usually if I can't do it in 5 minutes, it can't be done. Most times LATCH installs are fine. Most of the issues are with a FF seatbelt install.

It takes up the most room front to back of all the convertables RF. So more room than the TF with the headrest on.

I do not find the harness easy to adjust when installed, especially RF. It has a ratcheting harness adjuster, so instead of one smooth pull, you have to pull, release, pull, release, little by little until its tight enough.

The RN and TF have the most legroom, and I don't know if they can be compared, as they are just different. (Apples to oranges really). With the TF there is that deep wide shell, so easy to criss cross their legs. With the RN it is very low and they are no "sides" so most kids hang their legs over the sides.

No idea on the pathfinder, sorry! You might try searching the Radian Succesfull Install thread for "Pathfinder".

All in all, I love the Radian. I think it is a seat you just have to get used to.
Posted via Mobile Device

firemomof3

Here is my then 3y/o in both seats:
kenzieincarseat012.jpg

Feb2010056.jpg

I like both seats but prefer the longer crotch strap on the Radian for the older kids and the higher rf weight limit.

mkmama

• Which Radian XT fabric/pattern do you have and, appearance aside, do you like it? I mean, does it seem comfortable for your LO or is it hot or scratchy, etc.? Is it durable, does it wash well, show stains easily, etc.? Do you like the microfiber velour or the polyester mesh better? Pros and cons to each?
  • How difficult and time consuming is it to remove the fabric for washing? Do you have to uninstall and reinstall the carseat to do so?
  • I have heard Radians are difficult to install; what makes them so difficult?
  • How much room does it need (front to back) for RF installation? How does it compare to the TF for space? I would LOVE to see a Radian/TF comparison photo if anyone has one!
  • Once installed, is it easy to adjust the shoulder harness length with the front adjuster? How does it compare to the TF? The TF is a pain to adjust and DH is constantly leaving the straps too loose because of it.
  • Does the Radian XT or the TF have more legroom for your LO? Do you have a comparison photo?
  • And I would LOVE to know if any of you has installed a Radian in a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, and how well it works (or doesn't).

I have the red mesh cover, not sure what its called...I like it, except it leaves little pattern marks on their skin when they're wearing shorts/sleeveless shirts. Washes up great, shows no wear/tear so far and I've had it since January...its been in use almost constantly, first by my 5 year old and now by my newborn.

The cover is a PIA to remove...I HATE it, and its one of the main reasons my newborn currently has the seat -- no crumbs to make it need washed sooner! I've never had any trouble taking covers off any of my seats, but I had to consult the manual for this one and it took me more than 10 minutes to get off and then another 10 to get back on. Definitely have to uninstall the seat to remove the cover.

Radian takes TONS of room RF, especially for a little baby that needs 45* angle...it takes WAY more room than my TrueFit. When I install it as upright as possible (I have a good vehicle that it installs very upright in, unlike most vehicles where its a chore to get it upright) it takes a smidge more room than the TrueFit installed as upright as allowed with the headrest on.

Radian and TF adjust about the same in my opinion after installed...the Radian adjuster is a bit easier to reach (depending on how upright it is) but since it is ratchet adjust, its still just as much of a pain as the TF. I'm one that's not bothered by the TF adjuster being buried though because I very rarely use the adjuster, I just pull the shoulder straps loose on one side then the other to get arms in since its a continous loop harness.

Both offer plenty of leg room...like PP said, kids tend to just hang their legs over the sides of the Radian, and the TF has some of the best legroom inside those wide sides...my 2.5 year old still has tons of legroom left in the TF.

Haven't installed in a Pathfinder, sorry!

trinalb

Thank you so much for all your helpful responses! It is so awesome that this forum is available to help people make informed decisions on purchases and ensure safe carseat use!

Just another couple questions...

Does the crotch strap on the Radian have more than one position?
Since the fabric is difficult to remove, is it "wipeable" to clean up minor messes?
And, is there a way to safely retrofit the fabric cover to make it easier to take on and off?

Thanks again so much! :D

mkmama

Just another couple questions...

Does the crotch strap on the Radian have more than one position?
Since the fabric is difficult to remove, is it "wipeable" to clean up minor messes?
And, is there a way to safely retrofit the fabric cover to make it easier to take on and off?

Thanks again so much! :D

The mesh ones aren't wipeable...if you wipe them, all that happens is the crumbs fall down into the cover -- PITA if you ask me. I'd SO love to have a non-mesh cover, but its not happening for awhile. I just make sure every time I take the seat out of the vehicle to move it that I shake it upside down (which is quite the chore since the seat is so heavy!!) to remove as many crumbs as possible and take a vacuum to it every time I vacuum the car.

trinalb

The mesh ones aren't wipeable...if you wipe them, all that happens is the crumbs fall down into the cover -- PITA if you ask me. I'd SO love to have a non-mesh cover, but its not happening for awhile. I just make sure every time I take the seat out of the vehicle to move it that I shake it upside down (which is quite the chore since the seat is so heavy!!) to remove as many crumbs as possible and take a vacuum to it every time I vacuum the car.

Hmm, this is good to know, thanks! I was debating between the red mesh and brown microfiber seats and looks like I will have to opt for the brown. It's a shame they don't have some better boyish/gender neutral colours or patterns for these seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC