Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Can I ff in the front seat of a truck...

We Have an 03' Dodge 1500 Quad cab. I am having some friends over tomorrow and we would like to take a little trip. My question is, can I put my 3.5 year old FF in the center seat (between driver and passenger) with airbags on driver and passenger sides? Thanks
    Jeni- CPST and Mom to: Parker 6 Diono Mont. and Combi Hbb, Myles 3 Foonf and RXT. Day care provider to J, A, Z, Radians x 3!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Can I ff in the front seat of a truck...

It depends on the truck. Some absolutely forbid it; some say that the airbags will not intrude and allow it. I was THINKING Dodge was in the "forbid it" camp; can someone confirm or refute?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

would the manual tell me this info?
    Jeni- CPST and Mom to: Parker 6 Diono Mont. and Combi Hbb, Myles 3 Foonf and RXT. Day care provider to J, A, Z, Radians x 3!

Possibly. It never hurts to check!
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Nope, It is not in there.

Did you try looking under both the airbag section, AND the child restraint section? Including all of the warning boxes? I've found things tend to "hide" in vehicle manuals!

If you're sure it doesn't say anything, I would error on the side of caution and NOT put your DS in the front.
    Last edited by soygurl; 09-21-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    ~Kelsie, CPST. Full-time nanny to C (3.5y), RF in a MySize70, and R (born 6/11/14), riding in a Coccoro. Loving Auntie to many!
    "We do the best we can with what we know, and when we know better, we do better" - Maya Angelou

Okay, found the thread; it's GM that completely forbids use of that spot for a child seat.

Ford allows it.

Since Dodge says nothing in your manual, if there is a top tether anchor there I'd guess they would have said something if you were not allowed to use it, like GM does, unless anyone has a manual that says differently...

(If you do not have a tether anchor in that position, I'd be uncomfortable putting him there.)

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    Okay, found the thread; it's GM that completely forbids use of that spot for a child seat.

Ford allows it.

Since Dodge says nothing in your manual, if there is a top tether anchor there I'd guess they would have said something if you were not allowed to use it, like GM does, unless anyone has a manual that says differently...

(If you do not have a tether anchor in that position, I'd be uncomfortable putting him there.)
    That's interesting. DH's Chevy Silverado 1500 regular cab truck has a middle tether anchor. Its an 03 so the passenger air bag can be turned off with the key. The passenger seat has a full set of LATCH. Anyway, point being, I guess its ok to put a FF seat in the middle of his truck, even though its a GM vehicle?

Sorry, hijack over.
    Angie, mama to Lily

ERF in a HeadWise 70 and Radian XTSL

Check your manual to see if there is a prohibition. Later model year GM vehicles HAVE top tethers in that spot BUT are very, VERY clear that it is NOT to be used for a car seat due to airbag intrusion. (So, um, why have the tether anchor? LOL.) But, since the one case where it is not permitted it seems to be VERY clearly prohibited, in a case where it is NOT prohibited I'd be okay doing it, unless someone knows otherwise.

I knew it couldn't be Dodge, since we, um, did it.

I couldn't remember what the heck it was, after a long search I found it. (Should have searched the tech forum first!) I think Dodge is OK with it since they don't prohibit it. Usually when a child seat is prohibited in a specific spot, they are very clear on that.

13. Thank You from: