Question Can I ff in the front seat of a truck...

jenfrogmom

We Have an 03' Dodge 1500 Quad cab. I am having some friends over tomorrow and we would like to take a little trip. My question is, can I put my 3.5 year old FF in the center seat (between driver and passenger) with airbags on driver and passenger sides? Thanks

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It depends on the truck. Some absolutely forbid it; some say that the airbags will not intrude and allow it. I was THINKING Dodge was in the "forbid it" camp; can someone confirm or refute?

soygurl

Did you try looking under both the airbag section, AND the child restraint section? Including all of the warning boxes? I've found things tend to "hide" in vehicle manuals!

If you're sure it doesn't say anything, I would error on the side of caution and NOT put your DS in the front. :twocents:

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Okay, found the thread; it's GM that completely forbids use of that spot for a child seat.

Ford allows it.

Since Dodge says nothing in your manual, if there is a top tether anchor there I'd guess they would have said something if you were not allowed to use it, like GM does, unless anyone has a manual that says differently...

(If you do not have a tether anchor in that position, I'd be uncomfortable putting him there.)

wvmommy007

Okay, found the thread; it's GM that completely forbids use of that spot for a child seat.

Ford allows it.

Since Dodge says nothing in your manual, if there is a top tether anchor there I'd guess they would have said something if you were not allowed to use it, like GM does, unless anyone has a manual that says differently...

(If you do not have a tether anchor in that position, I'd be uncomfortable putting him there.)

That's interesting. DH's Chevy Silverado 1500 regular cab truck has a middle tether anchor. Its an 03 so the passenger air bag can be turned off with the key. The passenger seat has a full set of LATCH. Anyway, point being, I guess its ok to put a FF seat in the middle of his truck, even though its a GM vehicle?

Sorry, hijack over. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Check your manual to see if there is a prohibition. Later model year GM vehicles HAVE top tethers in that spot BUT are very, VERY clear that it is NOT to be used for a car seat due to airbag intrusion. (So, um, why have the tether anchor? LOL.) But, since the one case where it is not permitted it seems to be VERY clearly prohibited, in a case where it is NOT prohibited I'd be okay doing it, unless someone knows otherwise.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I couldn't remember what the heck it was, after a long search I found it. (Should have searched the tech forum first!) I think Dodge is OK with it since they don't prohibit it. Usually when a child seat is prohibited in a specific spot, they are very clear on that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC