Snugride 30 semi- review with pictures

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I spent a half hour getting to know the Snugride 30, here are just some observations. All measurements are approximate, as it's hard to get an exact reading depending on thickness of the cover, and the curve or slant of the slots and seat bottom.
This is the Brownstone cover that's part of the Quattro Tour travel system at Babies R Us. The cover was nice, a sort of soft gray/green microfiber, with a cottony plaid on the sides.
It comes set up for an average sized baby, so the straps are in the second from the bottom, crotch strap is set to the outermost position. I didn't measure those, just the inner crotch slot at about 2.5 inches, and the bottom shoulder slot at about 7". Surprisingly, even a 16" soft bodied baby doll fit well in it, I think it would work for a real 4 pound (the minimum weight limit) preemie. The super shallow crotch strap setting should really make it easy to keep a baby upright without the use of extra rolled washcloths.
I did measure the top of the seat at about 20.5". Probably not tall enough for an average height and weight child at 30 pounds, but it seemed like a convenient size to carry around, and is ample to get most babies to somewhere between 8-15 months, I predict.

The bottom of the seat is nearly the same shape as the other Snugrides, so it should work fine in Graco strollers. But did it fit in different bases? I had to know! It sure didn't fit in the 22, and it fit in the 35, but I would not use it that way unless Graco approves and labels it for such use. The 22 didn't fit in the 30 base. The 30 base is visually much narrower and boxier than the 22 and 35. I measured it about 14" at the widest point, and it has a lower height all around than the other two bases.

Product page: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4232169
Online Manual: http://download.gracobaby.com/ProductInstructionManuals/PD115793B.pdf
Web album: http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Snugride30Brownstone#

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There's no lock-off and I've confirmed with Graco that the Snug 30 is compatible with the Infant SafeSeat, Snug 32, and Snug 35 bases. :thumbsup:

So you could buy a SR30 and a 35 base as a spare if you needed one with a lockoff. :thumbsup: Nifty cool.

canadiangie

There's no lock-off and I've confirmed with Graco that the Snug 30 is compatible with the Infant SafeSeat, Snug 32, and Snug 35 bases. :thumbsup:

Cool. Now let's hope Graco can list that kind of info in the manual of the SR30 and also have it listed on their spare base boxes. :whistle:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh man, the manual. I have all kinds of issues with that manual. If you do a strict intrepretation of it, no locking clips allowed with the base. If your lap/shoulder belt tips the base when the retractor is locked and you can't use LATCH, you're SOL. Well, I guess you can go buy one of their other bases, lol. :p

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Oh man, the manual. I have all kinds of issues with that manual. If you do a strict intrepretation of it, no locking clips allowed with the base. If your lap/shoulder belt tips the base when the retractor is locked and you can't use LATCH, you're SOL. Well, I guess you can go buy one of their other bases, lol. :p

So, in your opinion, would it still be okay to use a locking clip? I mean, what other option is there? Why would in be prohibited?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't have it in front of me now, but I don't remember it being expressly forbidden, just that locking clips were omitted from the base section. And it does say something about if it doesn't work with your seatbelt, try a different position.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmmm, methinks a revision of the manual is in order. I know they don't mean to forbid locking clips. :)

ulrich7

Does anyone else find the descriptions confusing? In the overall description it says comes with Snugride30, then in features the car seat features says for infants up to 22lbs. Also down further it says comes with SnugRide35. I think they need to fix the descriptions so they all match.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Does anyone else find the descriptions confusing? In the overall description it says comes with Snugride30, then in features the car seat features says for infants up to 22lbs. Also down further it says comes with SnugRide35. I think they need to fix the descriptions so they all match.

Do you mean on the BRU page, or in the sr30 manual?

TerisBoys

Do you mean on the BRU page, or in the sr30 manual?

TRU page. "Car seat features" where it gives the seat specs says up to 22#. At the bottom of the page where it says "Product Description" (purple box) - "This travel system includes our ultra-comfortable Quattro Tour® Stroller, the top rated Graco® SnugRide® 35 Infant Car Seat, and stay-in-car base."

mominabigtruck

So how would you compare it to a ss1? You know for those of us who already have one but could possibly be compelled to buy something new just because it's new:whistle:

Is there any features that would just scream buy me even though I have a perfectly usable seat already? Just wondering cause I've never used a ss1 for a newborn, only bigger babies .

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So how would you compare it to a ss1? You know for those of us who already have one but could possibly be compelled to buy something new just because it's new:whistle:

Is there any features that would just scream buy me even though I have a perfectly usable seat already? Just wondering cause I've never used a ss1 for a newborn, only bigger babies .

The base is a little narrower, if you have a three-across, it might work better. Other than that it's just a Snugride, really. If you have an emergency preemie, it would be tops on my list for "Honey, go buy a new seat so we can pass the carseat test and leave the hospital", though :thumbsup:

emtb79

TRU page. "Car seat features" where it gives the seat specs says up to 22#. At the bottom of the page where it says "Product Description" (purple box) - "This travel system includes our ultra-comfortable Quattro Tour® Stroller, the top rated Graco® SnugRide® 35 Infant Car Seat, and stay-in-car base."

Then also at the top of the page it says this next to the picture of the travelsystem itself:

The Graco Quattro Tour Travel System - Brownstone includes the Quattro Tour Stroller, the SnugRide 30 Infant Car Seat and a stay-in-car adjustable base.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sort of a random assortment of copy/paste from the materials Graco hands them, I guess. The information cards in the store are just as uninformative, unfortunately :(

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I tried DS in this seat today at BRU, boy was it cramped compared to the SS1!!!! He HATED it, and screamed the whole time

He is 4.5mo, 14lb 8oz 26.5in and his feet were already off the end (worse than the SS1) and he was almost at the 3rd slot!!! Crazy long kiddo! :p

xursusmaritimusx

great review!
i played around with this seat the other day and i also noticed problems with the canopy and handle.

if the canopy is in certain positions you can barely slide your hand in at the handle without adjusting the canopy first!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC