What IS this thing?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eresh

A lady at work was cleaning out her garage and found a car seat and a booster seat she used for her now 21 yo. She wanted to know if she should just toss them or take them to Goodwill :eek:. I asked for the booster seat for the BRU trade-in event and pretty much everybody told her to cut the straps and toss the seat (thank goodness). Anyhow .. here's the booster seat. I can't figure out how this thing worked ... lol

5011451085_520d319a9c.jpg

5011451109_95e24f40b9.jpg

5012054160_7bab957e3c.jpg

ADS

mamom

We used to have one of those for my nephew, it is a shield booster. The regular car seat belt went through it somehow, I forget how and the "internal" seatbelt held the kiddo, it seemed really safe then

aeormsby

It's a shield booster, but different than the one my brother had when he was little (he's 27) - the one we had IIRC was like that but had a groove on the outside of the shield where the seatbelt would fit.

AtTheSouthDam

I had one of those and turned it for the BRU trade in event. I never figured out to attach it to the car but I didn't try very hard either ;)

ETA: Found a pic of DD2 in it, 32-33# at the time :)
ciaraingerrybooster.jpg

Mine had a DOM of 12-28-1990.

Last edited:

Eresh

Nice. I've never seen anything like it. Did they even have car seats when I was a kid in the '70s? I don't recall that I ever rode in one.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Nice. I've never seen anything like it. Did they even have car seats when I was a kid in the '70s? I don't recall that I ever rode in one.

Yes, but they weren't very common and certainly not required. I was born in 1977 and rode in one until I was 4. (I never had a shield booster, though.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't remember sitting in one, but my mom was quite proud of the fact she bolted a seat to the back wooden shelf of her convertible Karmann Ghia when I was a baby (probably '73 when I could sit up and ride forward in it, at 6 months old? Ugh).

Yeah, if you google around, you'll see they had fairly carseat-looking things back in the 60's, and various belts and straps and cloth seats for kids earlier than that. There was no dynamic crash testing till 1981, so seats weren't sturdy, just a place to prop the baby :eek:

Jennifer mom to my 7

I rode in a GM loveseat as a baby:love: Of course, they wedged it between the 2 front seats of the 65 mustang fastback, or the 66 thunderbird:whistle:

I was born in 1971.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It had a belt path just under the seating area and you used the shield until 40# then the shield came off to use it as a backless booster.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
My friend still has one and she still USES it for her six year old. He's been in it since three or four. I've told her time and time again that it isn't safe. She did buy him a new booster last year because of it. He used it for maybe a year in her car and is now in a backless again (although the current one isn't expired or recalled). He still uses that awful shield booster in his grandma's car though.

Mom2FiveGirls

My sister had one of those (she'll be 20 in November). A little girl at the school my girls go to (she's in 1st grade) has one very similar. I wish I could make myself say something to her parents but umm....they don't seem very approachable.

macmomma

I bought one for my son when he was about three- wished my scanner would work I have a pic of him in it with an aftermarket back support thingy.... what was I thinking?!?!?

jaded

That seat was VERY popular back in the day, I still see them occasionally, but not as often as the FP tshield.

aclayton74

I had one of those for Anthony in oh about 1996. You could also buy an optional back part to it. The back part was soft. The seatbelt goes under the seat portion. We used it for about 3 weeks until I looked back and Anthony had crawled out of it. So back into the Evenflo Ultara he went.

babyherder

That's my seat!!!!! Ok, so that one wasn't literally mine but I had one JUST like it. Even had the same cover. I was 3 or 4. I remember trying to close the shield and it was hard to get it to actually latch. My parents just buckled the seat belt around the seat. Kind of under the shield. I was so excited to get it cause it had pretty rainbow squares on the cover!!!! And I could lay my head on the shield to sleep. Thank goodness we were never in an accident.

emtb79

I am actually embarrassed to say I used one about 12 years ago when I graduated and started watching kids before I knew what I know now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC