Earliest age outgrowing a MA?

geberika

CPS Technician
I met a woman at a MNO last night who claims her 2.5yo is too tall for her MA. I was really surprised -- my fairly long-torsoed 5.5yo just outgrew it within the last six months. Child is not freaky-tall or -long ;) so I'm surprised. I didn't see a pic of the car/install etc, so I'm just curious.

ADS

LuvMyCharlie

Definitely possible. My DS outgrew it RF and FF at around that age:

He was around 39" tall here
4538835727_4e1b74df91_z.jpg

jjordan

Well, yes, it is *possible*, but it's not likely. I'm guessing that either she is mixed up about what it means to outgrow the seat by height, or she is mixed up about what seat it is.

ETA: if he were 39" at age 2.5 (like the pp's child), then he would most definitely look tall for his age - that is above 95th percentile height.

hsjwmom

My cousin's kid outgrew my MA by 3. I was floored. He was not tall, he just had a ridiculously long torso. Long enough torso that that he actually looked a bit odd. :eek: His older siblings were the same way...in the 3rd row of my Sienna, their heads were way above the headrests at their highest settings.

katieskrew

My girls are almost 4 (they are a little on the small side) and still have a while before they will be out of them.

girlscarseat.jpg

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
It could be...my dd never *looked* insanely big for her age..because she wasn't...she was between 50-75th percentile, so just a bit over average, in overall height...but her TORSO, which can be really hard to tell with clothes on, especially like a dress or long untucked T shirt, was VERY long...and it really only does take an inch or two in TORSO to make a GINORMOUS difference in how a child fits into SEATS....but an inch or 2 difference in OVERALL height is nothing really.... I learned to expect that her torso height tended to be equivalent to the TORSO height of children 6-10 inches taller, OVERALL than she was. We haz short chicken legs lol.

Here is a pic of my friends child, in his outgrown marathon..he is 2..almost 3, but still 2 years old. Yes, it's a marathon. And then a picture of him in the regent she bought him, at age TWO, because he was so big. MY friend is 6 feet tall, her husband is well over 6 ft tall, they are very large poeple. (i haz permission)

marpic-2.jpg

regentpic-2.jpg

skylinphoto

I have small kids. WAY small kids. Torso makes a big difference though. My dd is shorter than my ds was at her age but has much less room in seats than he did. He's 4.5, 39 in tall and recently outgrew the scenera FFing (over the top slot). My dd is 2.5 yrs old, barely 34 in tall and if she were FFing, would need the top slot. Crazy difference since she's shorter than he was. She just has a longer torso.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC