Concerns RE: EMS removing my seats.

Mae

I was thinking the other day, if I were to ever get into a crash with one of the kids, would EMS know how to take my seats out to keep the kids in before getting to the hospital?

I ask because I don't use a seat belt install with my Radians, and the LATCH connectors/anchors are very hidden. Also, you would have to physically peel the cover back to loosen the connectors before unLATCHing them. I know they have magical tools that can cut through anything, but honestly, I don't think they could fit their tools to GET to the LATCH strap.

There is also the tether strap, which even *I* fight with from time to time (you have to uninstall, then loosen before you can pop it off and it's just a royal PITA for some reason) but they can just take their magical tools to that and cut it. So I'm not worried about that.

Does anybody else share this concern with me? Pictures below to show the discreetness of my LATCH connectors. Without the seatbelt pulled back, the LATCH strap is almost completely hidden.

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_9792.jpg

IMG_9805.jpg

IMG_9802.jpg

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Remember that in a crash, those belts are going to stretch. I think they'd be able to cut them.

If they weren't, they'd stabilize the child and remove from the seat if absolutely necessary.

Reactions: Mae

Mae

Remember that in a crash, those belts are going to stretch. I think they'd be able to cut them.

Duh, I suppose I forgot about that tiny factor. :p

I suppose once it is all stretched out, they could just cut 'em. Well that makes me feel better. LOL.

natysr

DH was in an accident. The base of Jordan's infant seat was installed in the back. Jordan was not in the car with him.

EMS cut the latch strap that the base was installed with.

Mae

DH was in an accident. The base of Jordan's infant seat was installed in the back. Jordan was not in the car with him.

EMS cut the latch strap that the base was installed with.

They cut the base out ... even though J wasn't in the car? :confused:

natysr

yep. I don't know why. we didn't notice until we went to the tow yard to get our belongings out.

Either it was a message to say...hey, don't use this again....or maybe they needed to bet behind DH to check him out, move him, etc. Dunno.

DH didn't wake up until he was already on the stretcher.

Reactions: Mae

NannyMom

When I took my tech course, 1 of the instructors was EMS. He said he makes sure his "guys" know to cut harnesses and seatbelts to guarantee replacement. And, since the base should be replaced after a crash anyway, I could see them cutting it.

Mae

That makes logical sense. Although, if a parent really wanted to, they could just use the seat belt ...

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Even if they couldn't quickly get the entire seat out, they are equipped to safely remove the child from the seat for transport. Most likely they'd cut the harness straps and slip a KED in behind the child, buckle them into the KED and then remove. For small babies they can use a rigid splint to do c-spine stabilization if they have to remove from the car seat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendrick_Extrication_Device

I wouldn't worry about it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC