how to compare swedish seats?

zoecoltsmama

Hi All,

I have seen lists on car-seat.org that compaire stats on US certified seats as to just how large a child they will rely acomadate, or for how long they can remain rear facing in each seat. Since so meny US seats now go up to 40lbs RF, but would never actualy get many kids to that weight RF do to size constraints. These lists include things like each seat's tallest harness slot, how deep and wide the seats are, how much space is between the car seat back and the carseat back (child's leg room), how much space the seat takes up in the car, other pros and cons ect.

I am wondering if anyone has ever made a list like this with sweedish seats? I know most seem to go up to 55lbs rear facing, but after that it gets a little confusing to me.

I originally thought we would go directly from our son's bucket to one of the swedish seats available. But a generous relative bought us a brand new Recaro instead. We do love the seat but my tallish boy will grow out of it RF sooner than I want to switch him around to FF and since we have to get another car seat anyway, I am back to looking at the seats on CarSeat.se.

Does anyone know where I could find this info? Those of you who have purchased swedish seats, do you have these stats? Adventuredad perhaps?

ADS

Adventuredad

Measurements of the seats can be a decent indication but it can also be more confusing. Comparing seat shell height between Swedish and US seats is mostly meaningless since Swedish seats can be used until tip of ears are at top of seat shell. Some US seats also don't look very large but need an enormous amount of space in the car

Most compact Swedish seats are Britax Hi-Way and DuoLogic. They fit nicely in small and large cars. Parents use these in small cars such as Nissan Micra, Opel Corsa, Renault Clio, VW Beetle, VW Polo, and Peugeot 107. Hi-Way is approved to 55 lbs (25 kg) rear facing and DuoLogic to 40 lbs (18 kg) DuoLogic can be installed both with Isofix and seat belt which is unique. Maximum rear facing weight for any Isofix seat is 40 lbs. Both these seats are often used RF to age 4-4.5 years or about 110 cm of height (44 inches)

Most common Swedish seats shipped to US are Britax Multi Tech and Britax Two-Way. They can be used rear facing and later on forward facing. Both of these seats have tall seat shells and last rear facing to around 6 years or 125 cm of height (50 inches) if desired.

MT and TWE need relatively little space for their great capacity and fit fine in regular mid size cars such as a VW Golf or a Toyota Corolla. They can be used in tiny cars as well if front seat is moved a little more forward.

Maxi Cosi Mobi is another great seat with same seat shell height as Hi-Way. It has fantastic recline modes which can be changed while driving and the design is as always great with Maxi Cosi.

BeSafe Izikid X3 come both with and without Isofix. Last slightly longer than Mobi/Hi-Way and is approved RF to 40 lbs. The two Izikid seats and DuoLogic are the only three seats in the world which has passed the Swedish Plus Test which is by far the strictest standard around.

May I please ask what car you drive? And how tall your child is? If you want more detailed info about the seats with photos of how they fit in various cars then email me at hakan AT carseat.se

Leche Mami

It seems like seats that can RF so long must take up a heck of a lot of space, huh? We have both the multi-tech and the Two-Way. Our two US seats (Boulevard and TFP) both take up the same ammount of space as the two Swedish seats! We are supremely happy with them. We also have an older (5 years old) Swedish seat that RF to 40 lbs that is ISOFIX. Personally, while we do love the ISOFIX, the other seats install soooooo solid and are much less cumbersome than ISOFIX that I personally would go for a higher weight seat if you are going to import one.

zoecoltsmama

My Son is 17 months w/11.5" or so seated toursoe and weighs is about 21lbs. He is tall and lean for his age, so I need a seat that will acomodate his body type the longest.

I have an old car, a '94 toyota corolla station wagon. I have tried to fit a Radian RF in the center of the back seat w/no problem, also fit a TFP in same spot fine, but never used them day in day out like that. I have installed my Recaro in the center and to the side, on the side it does end up tuching the seat in frunt of it.

I love the desine of the Maxi Cosi, it does seam so "cosi" but thought it was a 40lb limit? That defeats importing for me? I think? Or is it a much higher hight range anyway?

So the highest shoulder strap slots is what I am looking for rite? Am I correct that these seats need the straps at or above the shoulders?

zoecoltsmama

oops Modi goes to 55lbs as well, wonder why people don,t get this seat more?

Does anyone happen to know of a pic of all these seats sitting next to each other?

Adventuredad

Mobi is quite a popular seat over here. And it goes to 55 lbs just as you say. It has a great recline mode and the design is nice. Due to the recline possibilities it does need a bit more room than some other seats. Mobi is most often installed in front seat over here with deactivated airbag. It fits perfectly this way in nearly every car. Using the front seat as as safe or safer than using the rear so we use it extensively. I know US policy is sadly to prohibit deactivation of airbag in passenger seat.

We recommend keeping straps at our above shoulders for the Swedish seats but this is in reality not a firm policy. Even if straps are below shoulders it does not affect safety negatively. Seats can be used until tipo of ears are at top of seat shell. This means about one third of a child's head can be above top of seat shell before it's time to change seats.

We install all seats with support leg, unless it's a Two-Way which lack support leg, and also leaning on front seat or dashboard. This is the safest way to install a RF seat.

If you prefer to see photos of the various seats in different cars please send us an email.

Last edited:

Joddle

I just purchased a Britax Hi-Way and LOVE it!!! I use if for babysitting as I don't have kids of my own. The youngest bub I've had in it is 6 months, his torso is about at the bottom strap level. The oldest child is 5 next month, and he is on the highest strap with only an inch above the shell. I'm not sure about his actual height and weight, but he's average height and very skinny. It's so easy to change the strap heights while the seat is installed, and changing the recline for younger bubs involves losening the seatbelt, adjusting the recline, and tightening again. For me, it's perfect!

Joddle

It's a smooth pull one and allows it to get really tight :) I'll post some photos of a babysitting child it it next time I have one over. I have a 1998 Subaru Forester.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC