Oh boy... need to start thinking about a new ERF seat for DS

Mommy0608

He's 30lbs! :eek: Add fall/winter clothes, shoes and jacket and he'll be getting pretty close to the 35lb limit of his seats. My bare minimum for turning my own kiddos FF is age 3 (he just turned 2 last month). I wish I knew how long it would take him to gain 2-3 more pounds. We've been weighing him on the Wii, and it seems like every time I do it, he's gained a pound! We weigh him once or twice a month. So, if he continues at his current pace, he could likely gain that before winter even hits. Yikes! Should I wait it out, or start checking out the options? WWYD? DH said I can not buy a new seat unless I sell a seat (or two). I just gave away my SS1 to a friend and didn't charge her for it.

I'm thinking about getting a Radian (possibly a used one from a friend), which installs beautifully RF in my van but not as easily in DH's Civic. The Momentum 65 installs great in both vehicles, but has a shorter shell. I don't really like the MyRide, also don't care for the Complete Air (bought and returned on the day it was released last year).

It's funny how different my kids are. They are about 10" different in height, but approximately the same weight. DD fluctuates between 27-31lbs (usually around 29lbs), and now DS outweighs her. DD was 27lbs yesterday, but it was a different scale, so I suppose there's room for error.

Not really sure what the point of this is... I guess I was just shocked when I realized how steadily and quickly DS is gaining weight! I really did not want to buy a new seat. (Okay let me clarify... of course I want to, but it's just not in our budget right now). Any thoughts? Should I wait it out or scrimp and save to get a new seat ASAP?

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Personally, I'd probably try to wait it out. You don't need a new seat right now. You don't really know if he's going to continue to gain like this. It'll be easy to get a new seat quickly if you do end up needing one. (Easy meaning that you can have a new seat in a couple of days even if you have to ship it, not so much that they're easy to afford.) You might even be able to borrow from a friend for a while in a pinch. :whistle:

My main point in saying wait it out, though, is you never know what's going to come out. If he gets to 34 lbs., get a new seat, but otherwise, hold tight to see what's new.

(Oh, and I'm not saying don't play around and figure what would work ... just don't commit yourself to buying yet.)
:twocents:

mcomommy

I agree I would wait and see . . . my ds is 5 days younger than yours and has been hovering in the low 30s for about a year. He hit 30lbs at one year old and is still under 35lbs (he was 33 last time I weighed him) at two. I bought an XTSL because I was afraid that he would not make it to three rear facing (my minimum also) but it looks like that is going to be overkill and I could have just used the Radian I already had. Oh well. It would not hurt to start saving though, just in case.

Mommy0608

Thanks! I guess I just kind of got caught up in the shock of him hitting the 30lb mark (and that's without clothes!) I think clothes, shoes and jacket would easily be 2-3lbs, so that leaves only 2-3lbs for him to gain and safely stay RF in his current seat. He just gained 3lbs in less than 3 months... actually about 2 months. He was only 23lbs at a year I think. I know he's having a growth spurt because he's eating like a horse and sleeping a lot, and he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down.

I think I'll start trying to figure out what seat(s) to sell and saving some money. If I come across a deal that's too good to pass up, I will probably take it, because it seems highly unlikely that it'll take him 11 months (until his 3rd birthday) to gain 2-3lbs. It's possible of course, but just doesn't seem likely.

emandbri

I'd wait too. Since Elizabeth rode in my mom's comfort sport with a rf limit of 30, my marathon that went to 33 lbs, and my other marathon that went to 35 I weighted her often so make sure she didn't go over any of the weigh limits. I was shocked when she hit 31 lbs but she then stayed there for 9 months. She then jumped to 35.

Mommy0608

Yeah, I'm really hoping he'll just level off and stay at 30lbs for a while. No way to know for sure, though. :( If only I had a crystal ball. :p

I talked to DH more about it, and he said to wait it out a little while, but if a good deal comes along, don't pass it up. He's totally on board with ERF, and said that he thinks Tyler will gain 2-3lbs before we should turn him around, so he agrees we need to find a new seat. :thumbsup:

Off to scrounge for deals...

Spam

It could take awhile, but it also could not. A weighed 31lbs at 18 months and weighed 36lbs at 2. He's been hovering right around there since. Somedays he's 35 sometimes 37lbs.

Have fun finding a new seat :D That's always fun!

NannyMom

Yeah, I'm really hoping he'll just level off and stay at 30lbs for a while. No way to know for sure, though. :( If only I had a crystal ball. :p

I talked to DH more about it, and he said to wait it out a little while, but if a good deal comes along, don't pass it up. He's totally on board with ERF, and said that he thinks Tyler will gain 2-3lbs before we should turn him around, so he agrees we need to find a new seat. :thumbsup:

Off to scrounge for deals...

great plan :) Start setting the money aside, and decide what seat will fit the bill. Get all your ducks lined up, so you're ready when he reaches the 35 pounds :)

Mommy0608

Yep... going to check out all the options, decide what seat will work best, and then start saving and looking for deals. I'd like a Radian of course, but I need to look at less expensive options first. Going to check out the MyRide, OnSide Air, Momentum 65 and Radian... what am I missing? Probably won't get a Britax convertible... if I'm going to spend that, I might as well get a Radian for the extra height. Ruled out the Complete Air, Scenera and Triumph 65. Am I missing any other 40lb seats?

Mommy0608

No it's not, if it went to 40lbs RF, I wouldn't be in this predicament. :p That's his primary seat right now and I love it! If they'd make it 40lbs RF, that would be perfect.

AtTheSouthDam

Yeah, wait and see and save. Ciara went from 29# to 32# pounds last fall in like 8 weeks. Then she was a whole a 34# 10 months later. It can take a while. I think kids gain in spurts. :)

cookie123

I weighed Matt today and he was 29.5 lbs. He was 26 lbs earlier this summer. He's 3 months shy of 3. I'm hoping he makes it to 3, since he gained a bunch recently. He's in a Radian, which I think mine has a 33 lbs limit.

I think you should wait and see. It COULD take awhile to gain that 5 lbs. We might see something new and awesome before that happens that you just have to have. Oh, and have a back up plan!

Mommy0608

He was 30.2lbs tonight. The eating/sleeping streak is showing no signs of stopping. I need to dress him up in winter weight clothes/footwear and see where he's at, then I'll know how much weight he can gain before he hits 35lbs fully clothed.

I realize it could take a while, but it could also happen in just a couple of weeks. Thanks for sharing experiences. I'll just start looking at the options and trying them in my van and with Tyler, then I'll make a plan.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC