Convertible recs for Honda Civic

U

Unregistered

We are looking to buy a convertible seat for our LO who is almost 4 months. He is currently in a Peg Perego PV, but it is expiring and the seat only goes to 20lb and 26 inches. DS is 16 lbs and 25.5 inches.
I have heard lots about Britax but after doing more research it doesn't seem to be the most recommended here.
Cost is not an issue, I would like RF as long as possible and ease of use is important. IE: easily adjustable straps, installation in case of changing cars, etc. Something with a higher height limit would be great as I'm expecting DS to end up quite long and I've heard most kids grow out by height far before weight. Also, our car is not that big, so I don't want the driver or passenger to be sitting on the dashboard.
I also wouldn't mind something cute looking (that's why I considered the Britax, I'll be honest I like that cow print!)

Thanks for your help!
Megan

ADS

chay

Welcome!

If you want to RF as long as possible you want a seat with a high RF limit (40-45lbs) and a tall shell. In Canada your options are
- Radians (RF to 45lbs or 40lbs depending on model), FF to 65lbs extremely tall shell and high top harness slots (THS)
- Complete Air - RF to 40lbs FF to 50lbs (many lean kids will outgrow many of the 65lbs seats around 50 anyway), tall shell and high THS
- MyRide - RF to 40lbs FF to 65lbs - not a tall shell and many don't like how reclined it is FF
- new Britax - RF to 40lbs FF to 65lbs - shortest shell of the ones I've listed (although MyRide isn't huge either) which is why they aren't the most recommended here

What year is your Civic (ie do you have UAS)? Where do you live? (trying to figure out if you can get a tech to help with a Radian install - they often aren't easy but a tech that knows the Radian tricks should be able to teach you).

Pixels

If you have a 2001-2005 Civic, don't get a Radian. It doesn't fit well outboard (not enough front to back room), and center initially worked but in less than a year it was over reclined.

brightredmtn

If you have a 2001-2005 Civic, don't get a Radian. It doesn't fit well outboard (not enough front to back room), and center initially worked but in less than a year it was over reclined.

Really? I just installed my Radian RF center in my mom's 2003 Civic and over the course of the week I didn't notice that it became over reclined in that time. I always find that seats need to be reinstalled periodically for adjustments so this wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I've installed a Britax Marathon Classic in her car too. My only complaint with that seat is that the belts would slip in the built in lock offs and I'd have to readjust every few days (this frequency would have been a deal breaker for me if I was the owner of the car.)

amyd

My XT fits beautifully in my 04 Civic. It's braced on the front seat, but I don't have advanced airbags so no worries there. It's pretty upright installed outboard & I have lots of room to sit in front of it (I'm 5'10"). It's not reclined enough for a 4 month old, IMO, though, but I bet it would be fine in the center and wouldn't over-recline until the baby's quite a bit heavier at which time it could be moved outboard.

Pixels

The Radian in the Civic worked for nearly a year. Over that year, the vehicle seat cushions became more and more compressed, and the Radian reclined more. My DD was only about 20-22 pounds when the Radian hit 45 degrees exactly, and I pulled the Radian out of my car. I did reinstall many, many times trying to make it work, but it just wouldn't.

If I put the Radian RFing outboard, it doesn't leave room for the person in the front seat. I can brace against the front seat, but it lifts the base of the Radian off the vehicle seat, which isn't allowed. The usual trick I see to get the Radian more upright, especially outboard in the Civic, is to pull the boot forward of the bight. SKJP has said that this is not allowed, the boot must be fully in the bight.

amyd

The Radian in the Civic worked for nearly a year. Over that year, the vehicle seat cushions became more and more compressed, and the Radian reclined more. My DD was only about 20-22 pounds when the Radian hit 45 degrees exactly, and I pulled the Radian out of my car. I did reinstall many, many times trying to make it work, but it just wouldn't.

If I put the Radian RFing outboard, it doesn't leave room for the person in the front seat. I can brace against the front seat, but it lifts the base of the Radian off the vehicle seat, which isn't allowed. The usual trick I see to get the Radian more upright, especially outboard in the Civic, is to pull the boot forward of the bight. SKJP has said that this is not allowed, the boot must be fully in the bight.

Too bad it doesn't work outboard for you. Fits great for us. Boot's in the bight & the base is fully on the seat. I don't have quite as much legroom as I'd like, but it's doable & I'm far enough from the airbag, I think. I can't drive with the Radian behind me, though. DH & I aren't both in the car all the time, though, so it's workable for us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC