Safety of backless vs highback

agurlsride

when it comes to a booster like the SR/C or FPSVB...My 9.5 and 10.5 kiddos both ride in FPSVB's and I was just curious as to how much safer it is (if any) with the back if there isn't any SIP. My oldest is getting to the point where he is somewhat embarrassed in a booster but if its a lot safer with the back then I really don't care how he feels about it, I'll keep the back on. I don't know if it matters but they ride in the third row of our MPV.
DS1 is 53" and 58lbs
DD1 is 50.5" and 52lbs

ADS

agurlsride

Well...that link said enough, the back stays on. Do you think I should look into using something with more SIP? I have a Start and an old style PW. The Start has a DOM of 2004 though..I can't remember if it was decided that the old Starts followed the expiration guidelines or not.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
I'm very pro highback booster. However at 10.5yrs I think you have to take into consideration the feelings of your child. I would be ok at that age to put a child in a backless. Eventually your son will not need a booster at all.

I'm not familiar with your van. Does it have side curtain air bags that would protect him in the 3rd row?

agurlsride

No, my van doesn't have Side curtain airbags, as much as I wish it did....
I have really only heard him mention it once, when I made him take his booster with him to a friend's house (much to my dismay, I found out that the friend's mom didn't make him use it and then told him to keep it a secret).
If he really starts to feel self conscious I will definitely think more about letting him go without the back. The nice thing is he walks to and from school so his friends dont have to see him in the car...his half brother is starting to say something when he comes to visit in the summer tho...not cool, he is 12 and 145lbs and even though he is too big for a booster, he doesnt really fit well in a seatbelt...but I can't do anything about that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC