Successful Seat Check Yesterday in Omaha

NebraskaMom

We had our first check out of 3 here in the Omaha area yesterday at the Children's Hospital and it went really well. The weather was cold, cloudy, rainy and nasty but since we were in the parking garage it was alright.

Not sure how many seats were checked yet, but there were a few times where we had cars in all the stalls, and everyone was doing something.

I had 2 backless Graco boosters w/o screws...both parents looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked about them.

April and Jen were both there :D They are both awesome in person, both made me feel comfortable enough to not shake while talking to parents. Thanks ladies!!

ADS

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
You did great! I was exhausted and frozen when I got home.

It did go very well until I got a mom who came in with her 3 foster kids with no car seats. The 6 & 1 year old were just in seat belts. The 13 year old was in a lap belt only with no head rest. Mom said she got a call that we were giving out seats for free. :eek:

We were giving out boosters for free, but not other seats. She drives a van that she just bought used. Had dealer plates in the window and told us she didn't have any money for car seats. She ended up getting a titan for free and rf the 1 year old. The 6yr old was given a hbb. I told her that the 13yr old has to ride with a lap/shoulder belt and needs a head rest behind her. She was very rude besides.

See you Sunday. :)

NebraskaMom

I wondered what the deal with them was. I walked down there only to hear Tim say "and you don't have any car-seats for these kids" :eek:

So...they were foster kids, and the state doesn't check to ensure they'll be safe riding around with her? Hmmm....

Well at least they drove away safer than they came. Too bad she came looking for handouts in her recently purchased van.

The last van I took at 12:20 (yeah, I'm a sucker) too me until 1:30. 1994 Town and Country, lap belt only in the rear center, the rest of the belts were ELR with locking latchplates. It was quite a situation, Dad kept challenging me on the 8 year old needing a booster (came in one that was missing screws...we replaced it...), and kept asking over and over and over when the 3 year old girl could be in a high back booster with just the seatbelt since it's a PITA to buckle her in the Scenara (his words). They also had a newborn, who was actually 100% correctly in the seat and it was level.

They drove away happy that we were able to complete the check, but I truly worry that they'll move that little girl to a hbb in the next few months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC