Do I do what she wants or what I want?

glockchick

I told her she could pick between the Monterey, ProBooster, and Frontier. She can't try them out ahead of time because no where carries them locally. She chose the Monterey in Pink.

I want her in the Frontier. I want her in a harness until she outgrows it. I know that logically there's no proof she's safer in a 5 pt than a booster, but after seeing crash tests of both boosters and 5 pts, I want her in a 5 pt. Logistically it helps with the time it takes getting everyone into the car. She can buckle and unbuckle the Frontier herself but can't do a booster.

She tried the Frontier a while back and liked it. Now she's telling me that the buckle hurt her crotch. I think she just wants a booster. :p

Should I exercise my parental authority on this one or save it for other battles?

ADS

Dillipop

Since you gave her the choice of what I assume you consider appropriate choices, I think you need to stick with it and do what she wants. If you really wanted her harnessed, you should have only given her the choice of harnessed seats.

How old is she? If she's 5 or more and you think she'll sit appropriately, I don't think you should go back on your word.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If she's 6 or older and has the requisite maturity, I'd go with what she picks. I let my 6 year old go back and forth between a booster and harness as she wishes (she opts for her harness less and less) and only make the decision for her that she be harnessed for a loooong road trip when there's going to be a LOOOT of sleeping. I think by our next road trip, I'll be fine with her boostered full-time even for that, if she wishes.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If you gave her a choice, you should honor it, IMO.

I personally did not give my 6yo a choice of how she wanted to ride (I did let her choose covers and asked her opinion about comfort).

christineka

If you gave her the choice, I think you should live up to your word. Buy from somewhere that has fee returns, though just in case it doesn't work out.

glockchick

She turned 6 in June. You're right, I should have limited her choices more if I didn't want her choosing anything else. :eek:

glockchick

Is the Oobr worth it? That's what she really wants.

I found it for $240 and while that price for just a booster floors me, if I could find a reason it was worth it, I'd probably do it for her.

Can you say spoiled? :rolleyes:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Oobr is a very nice booster. You've got another girl to pass down to later. Whether it's in your budget, is something only you can decide. :)

glockchick

Well now that I pointed out she can use the FR as a booster, she wants that. Cup holders. :rolleyes:

I should have just bought it and told her about it after wards. ;)

emandbri

The monterey does have cup holders as well. I think either choice is fine. The frontier could be handed down but something new might come on the market you want instead anyway! lol

Benjamin didn't have much room in the old frontier, not enough to justify buying it. I did kind of want the new frontier since he would fit in it but he was doing fine in the boosters and I have bought quite a few seats over the years. :eek:

annb

The being able to do the belt in the Frontier is interesting because my dd just learned how to do that today. This reminds me I need to go weigh my dd and decide what seat is moving to the back of our Sienna.

When I was getting boosters for ds, cupholders were big on his list as well!

emandbri

I measured Benjamin's shoulders and they are 12 1/2 inches. The wings are out a bit in my siggy. Hopefully others will respond and you can get a better idea if she will fit in the Monterey or not.

mum2two

My skinny 7 year old didn't fit in the Monterey, no matter how I moved the headrest the shoulder belt didn't give me, or many posters on this board a good feeling.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC