12 yr old sitting in front seat

U

Unregistered

My son is 12 yrs old 5'3 105 lbs. I make him sit in the back of both of our cars. He knows the rules. Well....he takes a ride with Grandpa and sits in the front. It's a P/U truck with the extended cab so it's not like he HAD to sit up there. My dad argues that the airbag was turned off and he's big enough. I want to send him video or something regarding the safety of the back seat. It says right on the sun visor 12 and under are safer in the back. Told him that and of course all I heard was "well back in the day........." I am so tired of pleading my case with my parents and the in-laws.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It's a hard call -- if there aren't any headrests in the back, I'd prefer the front (for a kid who no longer fits a booster)....

j4m4d8

Here's an interesting study focusing on the need to develop better rear seat-belt mechanisms, but it presents some information on front versus back seat safety for restrained occupants as well. Unfortunately it doesn't totally support you in your argument.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-01/esv/esv19/05-0212-O.pdf

The back seat is definitely safer for restrained 9-12 year olds than the front seat with the air bag OFF. However there is no statistically significant benefit to the back seat versus the front seat with the air bag ON for restrained 9-12 year olds. The crash tests they did indicated that smaller people (5th percentile female sized) are as likely to benefit from better front seat belt design as from sitting in the back.

The reason for those warnings about children 12 and under sitting in the back seat is because UNRESTRAINED children have a greatly increased risk if there is an air bag.

In an extended cab pickup it is quite likely that the front seat is just as safe for your son IF you turn the air bag ON. (I'm assuming this truck has a manual switch, because I am smaller than your son and the air bag is always on when I ride in newer vehicles.)

However, I'd be peeved at both son and grandpa; they should respect your rules. It is not as if they presented a reasoned argument as to why it would be a good idea to sit in the front seat. It's your call what you want to do about it. It's certainly not unsafe to sit in the rear seat, especially if there is adequate head restraint.

By the way, GRANDPA is definitely as safe or safer in the front. People over 50 should ride in the front if possible, preferably with an air bag. The rest of us are generally as safe or safer in the back, although for the petite among us, it may be a toss up. There just isn't enough data to call it.

Julie D.

Kellyr2

From the rules perspective, I totally agree.

At the same time, I'm 5'4" and weighed just 105 until my DD weaned 2 yrs ago and I gained 10 lbs. (and then got pg and gained more, then lost it all, back to 114 now...) so I'm barely bigger than your ds, and I always ride in the front. Sure, technically, we're all safer in the back.
In the front though, at his size, I'd definitely want that airbag on. Unless he's quite leggy and short torsoed.

but yeah, discipline-wise, i'm right there with you. But safety wise, I think in this case, it's a pretty gray area.

kmamabear234

I was the OP to the thread but I had to register to keep going on this thread...So I'm now a member!

The reason I was always telling him he needed to be in the back even though he's not a small kid was because I remember sometime back hearing on the news that the child body even if it's adult in height and weight is not as mature as a older child like a teenager. Meaning the bones and muscles. This was when a study was done and they were trying to raise the age to 14 or 15 to sit up front.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC