new marathon shock

so I had some time to kill when I went to the carters store to make an exchange this morning (I really should check the size of what I am buying before I buy it lol) Anyways..stoped in at bru to kill a half hr, and I decided to give the new marathon a go at the store on their store seat..first how the hell do you install anything on that seat, it moves and I am far to short to get in behind it and tighten it.. but that is besides the point.

So got it in there enough to see how it worked. Then Bribed Nolan in there. To my shock he has a ton of shell still over his head.. and I really liked it.. NOT GOOD I wanted to HATE this seat badly. How does he still have the same amount of shell in this seat as he does in his my ride (eyeballing it) with a shorter shell?

on a side note an annoying employee hovered the whole time, asking if I needed help and if I had latch ect.. I got Nolan in the seat and he starts in.. "umm how much does he weigh" me "24 lbs" him "how old is he?" me "2" him "are his legs always bent like that in the car?" Me "yep" him "uhmm.." me cutting him off "I don't know if teach you guys this but rear facing is 5 times safer, children should remain rear facing until the weight of the seat is maxed out and they have 1 inch of shell above their head, even if their legs are bent, that is not remotely a safety concern, further more the AAP has changed their recomendation to 2 years and 30 lbs OR even if possible the seat is maxed out rear facing, he will stay rear facing till he is 4 years old or has reached the limits of the seat like his sister did, thanks though!" He goes "oh uh yea right" (like he knew that or something) lol I felt kind of bad but I really get so annoyed at the crappy info they gives these employees at BRU.

I was polite and I am sure there were variations on the wording as these blurt outs of car seat rants I give to people go blurry for me then I get embarassed but yea I did that lol

ADS

NebraskaMom

The employees at BRU really need to be certified (in my humble opinion) but that's another story, I'm sure.

I'd love to work there on weekends, just in the car seat department...too bad my closest one is about 15 miles one way and working would = gas money and that's it. I don't think I could convince dh that I need to work there so the parent's aren't misinformed by the employees.

msg221

I agree that they should require more training for BRU employees on the products they sell, especially car seats. About a month ago, I tried Nour in a MA 70 (she will be 28 months next week, 33 5/8 " tall and 23.2 lbs) and the employee said something about how she can forward face in it till she is 8!! Umm, probably not.

Well, I got a MA70 on Thursday and now have it installed in my car. Nour will get to try it out in a few hours when I go and pick her and her brother up to spend the night. I have it right next to his TFP, so it will be great to see the comparison. I can't believe how much wider the TFP looks next to the MA70! I can't wait to see how she fits in it in my vehicle, rather than that awful test bench at BRU. I'll be sure and take pics!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
FYI: the AAP has NOT changed their recommendation. ;) That is not an official recommendation, and the official recommendation is (and has been for many years) to rear-face to the limits of the convertible seat.

tracee877

Yeah, I really wanted to hate it too, but yeah I bought one and love it.:eek: Here's my DS in it who is about the same age/size as yours:

006_1284857823.jpg

ericarizo

I have been going back and forth about ordering the MA70 in Cowmooflage because I worry about the height issues but now that I have seen a RL pic I must have one... Lol. I am also thinking about getting the Frontier85 to match for my 5yr. old.

Yeah, I really wanted to hate it too, but yeah I bought one and love it.:eek: Here's my DS in it who is about the same age/size as yours:

Last edited by a moderator:

arly1983

I even kinda want one for the small factor but its the money thats killing me. I need a money tree...or just a carseat tree.

NannyMom

so I had some time to kill when I went to the carters store to make an exchange this morning (I really should check the size of what I am buying before I buy it lol) Anyways..stoped in at bru to kill a half hr, and I decided to give the new marathon a go at the store on their store seat..first how the hell do you install anything on that seat, it moves and I am far to short to get in behind it and tighten it.. but that is besides the point.

So got it in there enough to see how it worked. Then Bribed Nolan in there. To my shock he has a ton of shell still over his head.. and I really liked it.. NOT GOOD I wanted to HATE this seat badly. How does he still have the same amount of shell in this seat as he does in his my ride (eyeballing it) with a shorter shell?

on a side note an annoying employee hovered the whole time, asking if I needed help and if I had latch ect.. I got Nolan in the seat and he starts in.. "umm how much does he weigh" me "24 lbs" him "how old is he?" me "2" him "are his legs always bent like that in the car?" Me "yep" him "uhmm.." me cutting him off "I don't know if teach you guys this but rear facing is 5 times safer, children should remain rear facing until the weight of the seat is maxed out and they have 1 inch of shell above their head, even if their legs are bent, that is not remotely a safety concern, further more the AAP has changed their recomendation to 2 years and 30 lbs OR even if possible the seat is maxed out rear facing, he will stay rear facing till he is 4 years old or has reached the limits of the seat like his sister did, thanks though!" He goes "oh uh yea right" (like he knew that or something) lol I felt kind of bad but I really get so annoyed at the crappy info they gives these employees at BRU.

I was polite and I am sure there were variations on the wording as these blurt outs of car seat rants I give to people go blurry for me then I get embarassed but yea I did that lol

Bolded mine. I think I measured the MA70 at 23.5 inches. And the MR is 24 inches. So.... not much difference. It's not like it'd be 3 inches shorter than the MR ;) I think part of the height outcry was why UP the weight limit but shrink the shell. Didn't make much sense.

I wanted to hate it. I really did. But I don't. I sure don't :love: it though.

emtb79

I was completely shocked as well I had Hudson FF and after many times of him wiggling and shifting too much he is now RF again. Anyways back to point :rolleyes:... He has loads of room RF and seems to have more shell Rf than FF.

Oh and Nannymom and Chrssyjane thanks for giving me that jump needed to just turn the seat back around. He loves it, no belly issues yet.

cpsaddict

I love my Marathon70. So much so, that the regular Marathon's adjuster is driving me batty. I will be selling my older one to get another 70. Oh, how I adore it. Truly.

Cryssy Jane

I was completely shocked as well I had Hudson FF and after many times of him wiggling and shifting too much he is now RF again. Anyways back to point :rolleyes:... He has loads of room RF and seems to have more shell Rf than FF.

Oh and Nannymom and Chrssyjane thanks for giving me that jump needed to just turn the seat back around. He loves it, no belly issues yet.

Ha ha no problem!!! Always enabling people :)

Chely7425

I want a new Britax... but my kid is 15 months and has already outgrown the RA so I am thinking it wouldn't be a good idea. Not to mention it won't fit in my 3 across!!

emtb79

I want a new Britax... but my kid is 15 months and has already outgrown the RA so I am thinking it wouldn't be a good idea. Not to mention it won't fit in my 3 across!!

Hudson has also outgrown the original RA rear facing and his head is over the top on the seat FF, however he has about 3 inches of growing room in the MA70. This is just a picture of him without it installed just sitting on the seat, he gained a little more room when it was installed and tight.
picture.php

Chely7425

Hudson has also outgrown the original RA rear facing and his head is over the top on the seat FF, however he has about 3 inches of growing room in the MA70. This is just a picture of him without it installed just sitting on the seat, he gained a little more room when it was installed and tight.
picture.php

Don't tell me these things :D I just bought 2 Radians... the husband will kill me if I buy more seats!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC