Quick question for a friend.

judesmommy

Friend has a FF 3 year old. 35 lbs. 42 inches tall. He is currently in a new cosco high back harnessed booster seat. He has about 2 inches before he out grows the seat by harness height.

She would like to get a Britax Frontier.

Is that her best bet?

She likes the fact that it is so tall, harnesses high weight, can be used with the sg adventually and makes a great booster.

_______ >>>>> WHERE could she get the Frontier 85 for the best price?? Money is tight right now. Thanks!

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

Is he close to outgrowing it in any other way? 2" is a pretty good amount to worry about it now. He might grow 2", but it is unlikely that it will all be torso. My kiddos torso hasn't changed in over a year.

judesmommy

She just would feel more comfortable getting a new seat now before he outgrows it so she isn't waiting to the last minute. BTW.... I am sure he is going to grow a ton more this upcomming year. Mom is 6'2" and dad is tall too!:eek:

sunnymw

As long as she can install it properly... I have never done a FN install but I hear that it's more difficult in some vehicles than the Nautilus... then again the Nauti doesn't have the SG on it.

judesmommy

Would that be the best seat for a super tall little boy??? Or are their HWH seats that are taller.... For example the prosport vs. the frontier. The new HWH safety first air seat vs. Nautilus. Is the Frontier her BEST option??

sunnymw

IIRC... the Frontier 85 (not 80) has the tallest slots right now.... (considering that the Regent is retired). I think it's 19.5"

Evolily

Did they change the top harness slots for the high back booster :confused: . According to the spread sheet the top harness slots are 14.75 inches- that didn't change? Both A & C outgrew that seat well before their 3rd birthday, and both are in the nautilus- C still has some growing room and will turn 6 in November. He's in like the 90th percentile for height- so tall.

Honestly, it sounds like he has about a 12 or 13 inch torso, which is short, and the frontier 85 would in all likely hood be overkill.

monstah

Did they change the top harness slots for the high back booster :confused: . According to the spread sheet the top harness slots are 14.75 inches- that didn't change? Both A & C outgrew that seat well before their 3rd birthday, and both are in the nautilus- C still has some growing room and will turn 6 in November. He's in like the 90th percentile for height- so tall.

Honestly, it sounds like he has about a 12 or 13 inch torso, which is short, and the frontier 85 would in all likely hood be overkill.

Yeah, a 3 year old in a Cosco HBB with 2 inches to grow... Sounds like all their height is in their legs. ;) I agree that the Frontier would be overkill, especially if it is a strain on the budget. I'd go with a Nautilus but I would keep him in the Cosco until he outgrows it. Torsos can grow slooow and he could have 2+ years in that seat and outgrow it by weight. :thumbsup: How much does he weigh?

ETA: Hmmm.... something sounds wonky to me. Are you sure he is 42" and still has 2 inches to grow in a Cosco HBB w/harness? I ask because when my DS was 43" he was even with the top slots on the Nautilus but he has a long torso.

jjordan

The measurement database doesn't have harness slot heights for that combination seat, so I'm not sure if it's top slots are the same as the cosco highback booster (14.75", like someone else already mentioned). But if so, his torso is about 14" now, and at not yet 3, it would be nice to have a frontier 85 if it doesn't break the bank. Amazon had it for $209 last I checked.

Another thing, you do sometimes hear about boys outgrowing the nautilus harness early because they start to get uncomfortable with the crotch strap positioning. So for a big boy, that helps tip the scales toward frontier.

Another option would be to get an evenflo maestro (are they still $60 at amazon?) and see how far it takes him. It will last almost as long as a nautilus and is a lot less money.

canadiangie

The top bar position on that seat isn't useable, I don't think. I worked in an "Eddie Bauer" Summit seat not too long ago, and while there was no indication of this rule on the back of the seat, there was the standard warning about it within the manual.

The top useable position measures about 14.5", maybe a smidge more.

So is he using the very top bar position, or the 2nd from top right now?

Evolily

Yep- I'm 99% sure the top "harness position" isn't usable in that seat. If I am right he needs a new seat, and the only acceptable way for him to be transported in that seat would be in booster mode.

judesmommy

No he is using the second to top notch up. She read the Manuel and knows that the last notch is for booster only.

I can take pics Monday and post if you guys think it would help with seat recommendations.

I think she only wants to buy one more seat, ever. So the Maestro might not be a good idea because the booster fit/fixed headrest.

Evolily

In that case, I'd point her towards the nautilus. It'll save her $100+ and it is usually easier to use. Since he has a short torso it should be the last seat she ever needs, both as a harness and a booster, assuming the booster fit is acceptable.

The only situation where I might point her elsewhere is if her vehicle does not have head support, and in that case I'd see if you can find an on sale frontier 80, since she shouldn't need the additional harness room.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd hunt around for a bargain on a Frontier 85, people have gotten it under $200 with enough coupons and stuff. It's just as easy to install as a Nautilus (the Frontier 80 isn't, it's really a totally different seat)--and probably a better install than that Summit she has, that thing can be *really* hard to get a good install, I've found it incompatible with many cars. The top slots of the FR85 are taller than the Regent by half an inch or so, and it's at least 3-4 inches taller as a booster... not to mention the extra crotch room, shoulder room, better sleep support (in most cars), and more ample harness adjuster length and much easier harness height adjustment.
42" and 35lbs, if correct measurements, are shockingly tall and skinny for a 3 year old... so maybe the Nauti would be perfectly comfortable for him, she should probably try it, at any rate. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC