If you were buying based solely on safety

Tamie

Senior Community Member
for a family of five, what would your top three choices be (any category, any criteria ...)

Point and click is much easier than typing right now, so I'm using my down-time to research our next vehicle. :)

Tamie - 1-handed but feeling better

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My choices

Are here, of course: http://www.suvsafety.info .

I'm considering replacing our Odyssey with a Sienna next year, depending how the Sienna does in the remaining crash tests. The side curtain airbags are very important in my opinion, and I'd like stability control as well.

One handed?

Tamie

Senior Community Member
The Sienna really cleaned up in the IIHS tests, didn't it? Which tests remain?

Darren, is the Expedition untested by IIHS? If so, why is that? My BIL is a salesman-turned-manager for a Ford dealership near us and the incentives are so good on the '04 Expeditions that he's trying to convince my SIL to trade her '03 model for the '04, as it would be $50 less per month. She previously drove a new Windstar, and I wish she'd go back to it. He just traded his '02 F-150 for the '04 F-150 Lariat Super Crew. The '03 testing was dismal, which worries me. But you know how loyal and um ... well, all-knowing some people on that end of the business can be. Not all of them, but he definitely falls into that category.

Temporarily 1-handed, I should have said. My right arm was slammed in a door in our home about 10 days ago. The feeling is slowly coming back and it's in a brace for 2 more weeks. Thank goodness it wasn't broken! Hasn't stopped me from helping teach a few folks, with an emphasis on THEM putting their own seats in. That's been the silver lining, I suppose.

Tamie

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Ack!

Sorry to hear about your injury! I hope it improves quickly:)

Many large trucks and SUVs have no crash results. I don't know why the NHTSA and IIHS choose the vehicles they do. In the case of the NHTSA, it's possible large trucks may be exempt, as they are from so many regulations that apply to passenger cars.

If they do get an Expedition, try to sell them on stability control, the side airbag canopy system, runflat tires and reverse sensing. Considering all the other pricey options and the sticker price on these things, the added safety features should be a given regardless of cost.

U

Unregistered

Large trucks are not exempt from NHTSA crash testing.

Both IIHS and NHTSA have operational budgets with limited funds. At a minimum of about $40k per crash test, each can test only a certain number of vehicles each year. And since the more expensive the car, the more expensive the test, each must make decisions on how to limit their tested field based on the available funds.

Also, it's a little early on to have too many 04 models tested just yet. Many haven't been introduced to the market yet and the great majority of the vehicles tested by IIHS and NHTSA are done so after the vehicle becomes publicly available because of both organizations rules on how they obtain vehicles to test.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC