Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Medela Pump In Style vs. Ameda Purely Yours

I am totally clueless when it comes to breast pumps. I used an Avent Isis pump when I needed to pump with DD. With this baby, though, I'll be going back to work around 4 or 5 months pp and will need to pump while at work.

I know that I've got time to decide/figure it out, but am curious who has experience with these pumps? I know that the PIS is the one many people prefer/recommend, but the price tag is a bit high (although totally worth it if the PY is going to be a piece of junk). I read mixed reviews about the PY--some people saying it works just as well, while others saying it's not as good.

I am a 40D (around there) when nursing... was that size with DD and seem to be heading in that direction again this time around. Not sure if chest-size matters or not with how one performs.

Anyone want to give me tips or advice for choosing a pump??
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Medela Pump In Style vs. Ameda Purely Yours

I have used a PY and think it is pretty fanstatic. The Lansinoh pump is the same, if you find that on sale.

When I bought my pump in 07, the only way to get a compact PIS was to buy the most expensive one. The least expensive PY was the most compact! So, I did that.

With either pump, I recommend getting larger flanges - both companies sell them. With Ameda, I went up to the second largest size and was a 38-C before nursing and usually am a 40-DD while nursing. More comfortable and some people say it helps with milk production too.

The PY uses a different system making it "safe" to buy a used pump (they claim it to be ok per the FDA). Many people will buy a used medela anyway.

I don't like that Medela is such a marketing machine, so I support the underdog.