What are forward-of-the-bight belts?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Forward of the bight belts are seat belts that do not come from the vehicle crease. You know the crease where the bum and the back of the vehicle seat meet? Seatbelts should come out of that crease.

Sometimes the vehicle seatbelt comes out of a hole in the bum portion of the vehicle seat. It is nowhere near the crease. These are forward of the bight seatbelts.

My '03 Dodge Grand Caravan has forward of the bight seatbelts in the 3rd row split bench. They make installing certain seats very difficult!

scatterbunny

The "bight" is the vehicle seat crack, where the seat back and seat bottom meet, where seatbelt buckles usually are mounted.

In some vehicles, seatbelts come out not from the bight, but from the seat bottom itself. This makes carseat installation difficult in most cases.

Here's what my forward-of-the-bight lapbelt looked like (it came out of a "hole" in the vehicle seat bottom; the buckle itself wasn't forward of the bight, just the belt itself):
15fb62e1.jpg

scatterbunny

Yes, I think there are, but I don't know makes/models offhand. They would pose the same sort of problems; one side of the carseat fits tightly against the vehicle seatback, and one side (the side with the forward-of-the-bight buckle or belt) is loose.

The "official" fix for this (per tech training and testing) is to top tether the seat, but that will just add stability at the top, it won't help an install that's loose at the belt path get any tighter.

InTheWoods

My '05 Toyota Sienna van has 2nd row captain's chairs w/ forward of bight belt stalks.

Sucks, because 5yo DS is nearing 48 lbs. and I need to start thinking about installing his Wizard w/ the seat belt...if I don't get a tight fit, I might move him to a booster.

Kristin

canadianmom2three

Jenny, Is that the husky you have installed in your forward of the bight photo? or is there some other seat that can be installed with the long belt path? I have always thought if I could just do the long belt path install with the Radian it would work great with our seatbelts...

scatterbunny

No, it's the Fisher Price Futura, discontinued in 2001. Mine expires next year (they were good for eight years), and Hayley's too tall for it now/almost too tall for it, depending on the vehicle. The Futura ONLY allowed the reverse belt path (the reason why i can't buy SK's line that the Radian's sides are too weak for the reverse belt path).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Our 1997 Honda Civic HX 2 door also has buckles forward of the bight in the outboard positions -- but without the hard plastic thingy shown in Jenny's MPV.... Center seat buckle comes from the bight nicely, but it has a difficult hump to wrassle with :dizzy:

Husky works best in all 3 positions using the reverse/long belt path (like the Futura shown above) except that Britax no longer allows this with a lap only belt: so Cosco seats install better in the center :doh: I'm grappling with the parental decision to just use the Husky outboard (since Leila is even with the top slots of the Apex that we've had in the center) or use the reverse/long belt path in center with top tether (retrofit by me) :question: :scratcheshead: I know this would void Britax liability, but it's such a small car & there's so little space between the rear & front seatback so I really prefer her in the center :shrug-shoulders:

scatterbunny

Oh, so you're grappling with the same issue I had in my van. :( No fun at all.

CARSEAT COMPANIES, HEAR OUR CALL--

We need more seats with the reverse belt path!!!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah -- at least she'll only ride in the vehicle for the summer & on vacations since it'll stay with Daddy on the Rez while we use public transportation in the Bay :eek:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Scroll down through the posts HERE
Reverse belt path=long belt path, like the Regent can use with a lap/shoulder install. The Futura ONLY allowed the reverse belt path. The Husky used to allow the reverse belt path with a lapbelt-only, then changed those rules and only allows the short path with a lapbelt. I had a huge problem with that, having forward-of-the-bight lapbelts in my van that only worked well with the reverse belt path.

So right now there are no reverse belt path options for lapbelts, and only one reverse belt path option for lap/shoulderbelts, the Regent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohhh, okay so long belt path and reverse belt path are one in the same? That makes sense since the lbp on the Regent is kind of reversed of the normal belt install on a seat. Thanks Jenny!!! Now I should go erase my question...hehe JK!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the training curriculum states that the only way to help when the vehicle has seatbelt buckles forward of the seatbight is to install a top tether anchor ... in real world situations the best (easiest) method is to use a carseat that allows reverse (long) belt path installation -- however, the Regent is currently the only seat that allows this (& now only with lap/shoulder belts).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC