Please weigh in - what infant seats are particularly good or bad for 3 across?

jjordan

I feel like I am way out of touch with what sorts of infant seats are available these days. Someone asked me about using an infant seat in a 3 across situation and I don't know at all what seats to recommend she try, or which ones she should avoid. Can someone who knows more about infant seats tell me which ones tend to work well in 3 across, and which ones are typically bad for 3 across? Puzzling information (eg "snugride 35 puzzles with a FF marathon," I totally made that one up but you get the idea) would be helpful too, if you know it.

Thanks in advance!

ADS

Chely7425

If you have 2 RF Radians and a narrow backseat a KF30 works very well :) SR35 not so much... you can get it to fit but its a PITA.

glockchick

I agree with the KF30. I used that when CJ was a baby and I loved it. It installed easily everywhere I tried and took up minimal room. :love:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Must depend on the car? My KF was way more bulky at the foot end, where the bigger kids were trying to have their booster arms and seatbelt buckles, and the SR 35 was narrower and easier to deal with (Ford Escape, 2006). SR35 is definitely narrower at the foot end than the SR, though!

Spam

babytrend is the narrowest infant seat. I had no problems doing three across with it (04 grand prix), kf30 also works in some, it fit between a ff ra50 and a cco(00 durango), but i couldn't get it in between a ff scenera and ff ra50 (3rd row 01 town&country) in the amount of time i had, but the cco fit beautifully.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Regarding the BabyTrend Flex-Loc - while it is very narrow, it's also a PITB if it's in the center between 2 other CRs. The issue is that the release mechanism to detach the carrier from the base is located near the seat bight, not on the back of the carrier like we're used to with most other infant seats. If it's outboard, it's not hard to reach but in the center, sandwiched between other seats, it can be problematic. BT also requires the handle to be down in the vehicle which may create other space issues.

I've heard good things about the onBoard models working well in these situations but I don't have any personal experience with that seat in a 3-across yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC