I need advise on SKJP CS!!!

pramaholic

Anyone have any advise on this topic:

I purchased two Radian XT's back in 2009, and just recently found all the warning stickers on the floor of our second vehicle (they are our second set of seats). I took both of the seats in the house, and striped my DS's of its cover. I found some very small pieces of the gray plastic under the fabric (broken off), and small pieces of the foam cracked off. (These have NEVER been in any accident or Motor Vehicle Incident)
On my DD's I found that the belt webbing is fraying, and the fabric is completely faded (I haven't taken the fabric off of that one, because I stopped right there and called SKJP CS). Some of the fabric is starting to rip, and fray as well.

To me, it seems like the seats are deteriorating. I am now uncertain of their safety.

Anyway, I called SK CS and got Shamma? Well, she wanted pictures of everything, so I did that, and never heard anything else until today, when I got a package of stickers in the mail.

No explanation, no guidance on the placement, AND there was only one set anyway.

My point is, I DO NOT feel comfortable using these seats now, but can't necessarily afford to replace them. I have sent another email to SK CS, but no reply.

My question is, WWYD? Or, more importantly, what should I do now?

Anything helps!!

Thanks!!

ADS

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
There is a thread on this and basically your seat is now not 'legal' and if you are not comfortable using it, definitely email back and ask for a replacement. I think the advice is to also talk to Transport Canada or get TC to intercede on your behalf if it comes to that.

pramaholic

There is a thread on this and basically your seat is now not 'legal' and if you are not comfortable using it, definitely email back and ask for a replacement. I think the advice is to also talk to Transport Canada or get TC to intercede on your behalf if it comes to that.

Really! I KNEW I didn't feel comfortable!! Do you have the link to the other thread?

I DO NOT mind contacting Transport Canada, at all, if it comes to that!! Do you have a contact number for TC?

Thanks for reassuring my doubt!!!

pramaholic

Just filed a complaint with Transport Canada. I also sent Shamma another email asking for replacement seats.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I am on a roll!!! LOL!!

I'll keep posting if I hear anything.

pramaholic

Hi Jackie! :happy-wavehello:

Here are the other threads: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=131720&highlight=radian+stickers&page=2

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=134371&highlight=radian+stickers

FWIW, mine's doing it too and I really need to get around to calling as well.

Thanks April!! I am going to read those threads.
What would you say to CS? There is no way in heck I am going to use these seats now. I am suspicious its the plastic in the seat that is deteriorating. I just think its awful that SKJP doesn't even:mad: respond to emails! And they just cut up some sheets of stickers and thew them in the mail. Where do they get off? I am very mad!!:mad:

Zannie

Call them -- they are fantastic on the phone, in my experience.

Our interactions were after a serious car accident and I was using their seat-replacement program. I also had to send pictures, and part of the policy was to return the seats, but the CS person I spoke to said if i would cut the harnesses & e-mail that picture to her, she would send the replacement seats w/out my having to ship the others back.

I swear by my Radian XTs, which my 5 & 7-1/2 yo still sit in comfortably. In the ER we were told my 6-yo likely wouldn't have survived our being hit had he been in a traditional booster & not a 5pt seat. Our Radian 65 seats were purchased in 'O7 & the crash was in '09. I didn't notice any signs of deterioration when I had them stripped down to dispose of after cutting the harnesses.

Good luck!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
This is the Canadian forum and their customer service is handled through a different company.

OP, are your seats still under warranty?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Actually, TJs Kids no longer handles SK distribution so the CS should be similar across the board. I'm curious what they have to say.

-N.

dragonfly8

Really! I KNEW I didn't feel comfortable!! Do you have the link to the other thread?

I DO NOT mind contacting Transport Canada, at all, if it comes to that!! Do you have a contact number for TC?

Thanks for reassuring my doubt!!!

I actually just PM'd you with the links to the threads, then realized I should have put them here!

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Well, I too am starting to lose stickers. They are just flaking off. Luckily I had the seat in the house when I was washing the cover so they didn't get lost. So far two are completely off and now I can see others are about to follow suit.

And my cover is faded and the belly pad is fraying really badly. I have had this seat for only about a year.

And yesterday when I installed the seat, a piece of the plastic casing around the latch strap cracked. SOOOOO....disappointed!:thumbsdown: We will see what CS has to say when I call later this morning. I was all set to buy another seat as dd#2 is coming close to the rfing limit in her other seat.

equilibrium

Are there pics? I have a Radian. What should I look for? We've had it since about January.

Now if this is a huge occurance, is this worthy enough of them redoing something ie/recall like thing?

Last edited:

dragonfly8

There have been alot of seats with sticker issues, so I can't say that it's one year more than the next................

Still, they need to fix the problem!

pramaholic

UPDATE!!!
I just received an email from SK CS. Here is the copy:

"Jacqueline,

I received your email that was forwarded to me, and I looked at your photos.
First, let me take this opportunity to state as clearly as I can that your current seats are more than safe. The stickers are certainly a very odd situation, while very correctable – it is still odd.

Shamma will be in contact with you. We will have two replacement seats sent out to you and we will have UPS pick-up your current seats.
Please pack-up your current seats in the boxes in which your new seats arrive.

Please place all the stickers in a bag (zip lock bag is fine) and do not clean the seats or the cover. Upon return of the seats we will be able to check them out and see what may have happened."

So, it looks as if they are going to replace the seats.

I can post pictures, if anyone is interested in what my problem looked like?

dragonfly8

UPDATE!!!
I just received an email from SK CS. Here is the copy:

"Jacqueline,

I received your email that was forwarded to me, and I looked at your photos.
First, let me take this opportunity to state as clearly as I can that your current seats are more than safe. The stickers are certainly a very odd situation, while very correctable – it is still odd.

Shamma will be in contact with you. We will have two replacement seats sent out to you and we will have UPS pick-up your current seats.
Please pack-up your current seats in the boxes in which your new seats arrive.

Please place all the stickers in a bag (zip lock bag is fine) and do not clean the seats or the cover. Upon return of the seats we will be able to check them out and see what may have happened."

So, it looks as if they are going to replace the seats.

I can post pictures, if anyone is interested in what my problem looked like?

That's awesome! Curious, who was the email from, from SK?
I'd like to see pics if you don't mind sharing!

pramaholic

Lets see if this works!!

P1060225.jpg

P1060237.jpg

P1060229-1.jpg

P1060241-1.jpg

P1060247.jpg

P1060254.jpg

P1060257.jpg

P1060261.jpg

There are lots more too.

dragonfly8

Forgot to add on my last post, the comment stating that the sticker situation is odd..................don't believe that for a minute! There have been many radian's with sticker issues.............:mad::mad::mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC