OK, I don't think I can do the Kia, too hard

Suzibeck

to find someone to work on it. I need a vehicle that will seat 7 and not break the bank. I'd like to keep it under $7,000. So what do you all recommend? I'm very afraid of GM and Chrysler from past experiences. I wish I could afford a Honda or Toyota van, but I can't see that happening.

ADS

southpawboston

my sister has a 2002 chrysler T&C that has been great for them... they have over 80,000 miles clocked on it, i think. the resale value is pretty low on those...

emandbri

Personally I'd get a used toyota. Yes, it will have lots of miles on it but I still think you'd be happier with it then you would with a chyrsler or GM. I have 98 sienna with 122,000 it had 54,000 miles on it when I got it in 2003 and it has been very reliable. The only issue I had was it did have a new transmission but toyota extended the warrenty and paid for it all and gave me a rental. Other then that the only money I've put into it, other then oil changes of course, was having the timing belt changed and a new battery. I'm trading it in for a 2004 because we go on lots of trips with our parents out of town and really need the extra cargo room. If you are willing to make a road trip I'll sell it to you for $5000! lol They aren't going to give me much for the trade in.

Suzibeck

I sure wish you lived closer Emily, I'd take you up on that offer! I don't think our Olds would make it to NE. The one thing I do like about our Olds is that we had the transmission rebuilt, rather than replacing it with another faulty GM one. They gave us a 5 year warrantee on their work and we have passed that point with no troubles. I know many vans have bad transmissions and I fear having to pay for another one right after we break the bank to buy a newer van.

I'll keep searching and searching and searching.

wondering1

If you really want to complete the deal, there are companies that specialize in delivering vehicles. I sold a car on eBay and this worked well for us. The company our buyer used is called A Across America. Borth parties were satisfied with the company. You can contact some local car clubs (antique ones for instance) to see what transport companies they recommend to purchase/sell vehicles.

Suzibeck

Thanks Wondering1.

I may have to rethink the Kia. I talked to our mechanic this morning and he told me he would work on the Kia. I was surprised because a couple of people told me it is difficult to find people to work on them.

I've got signs to go in the Olds and put an add on our church classifieds. I'll look into other classified later when I have time to take pics. I gotta get my kids going on school work and head off to an appointment for myself now. If I can sell the Olds before the Kia sells to someone else, I think we will get it. I want the money I will get from selling the Olds before I buy however. There just isn't much wiggle room in the budget for much of a payment.

It is tough this time of year because dh refs lacrosse. If I sell the van, I REALLY NEED a replacement right away or I'll be home from 7:30 am until 10:00 pm most days without a car.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
My sister just bought a different minivan. They had it down to the Kia or the Uplander. She called her mecanic and they said to skip the Kia. You have to do regular expensive keep up with it. They bought the Uplander.

Synchro246

I don't know about the KIA, though I just bought one for myself :p . . .but when I was looking into hyundai their reliability ratings went up dramatically in the last few years. If you look for repair bulletins for the specific vehicle and year you can get an idea of what to expect.
2002-2005 Kia Sedona Reliability
Nothing on there scared me too much. Just be sure to change the timing belt & tensioner right *before* it's due.

Before 2002 Kia was seperate from Hyundai and their safety ratings show it. I don't know how their new car reliability compares between the two names now.

I won't argue that they have a bad rep, but reputations are not permanant.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC