I saved 2 babies today

Dillipop

Went to the local Salvation Army and looked at seats. There was a gross century convertible that expired in 2005 and an evenflo infant seat from 1997! :eek: I waited around for 15 minutes until an employee showed up in the area. She told me she didn't do anything with carseats and there was a list they followed when receiving them. (I am thinking the recall list) I informed her they were expired and they needed to be removed from the floor and she did it.:2thumbsup: I informed her about the 6 year expiration and hopefully she will inform someone that deals with the children's section. Out of 6 seats, there were 2 expired, 2 that will expire in about a year and 2 that have 3-4 years left. Thankfully they were removed, since I could see a mom picking up a seat and thinking what a deal for $5.

Now I have to add the Salvation Army to my list of weekly chores. Next time I think I should bring in an info sheet about used seats.

ADS

Suzibeck

It is too bad that some stores still sell used seats. When I had a used seat to donate a few years back, I couldn't find any thrift store that would take it. They all said they couldn't for liability reasons. :2thumbsup: You can only find used seats at garage sales in this town.

Good for you for taking action!

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I am pretty sure that Salvation Army has it's own bylaws that state they are not to sell used car seats. I know I have seen it printed somewhere. It was effective in my local salvation army store to tell the manager that I didn't believe Salvation Army's were authorized by their own company to sell used car seats and he immediately removed the seat that was on the floor. I will look it up and try to find it for you.

skaterbabs

That would be great, Jen, because our local one sells them too - with a nice little handwritten sign absolving them of liability. *sigh*

Dillipop

That would be great if you could find a reference to Salvation Army not selling seats. Ours always (ok, so I've only been there like 3 times) has a bunch of seats and they are pretty grody. I can't imagine buying a seat there or thinking of donating my gross expired seat there, either. (not that my seats get gross!) I would love to get a policy from corporate that says they can't sell them.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Awesome! I've been considering monitoring our local freecycle list for expired seats to take them for destroying. :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC