SK Responds to Adjustable Base Question on FB

ADS

Dillipop

I love the response of- some people are idiots and can't figure out the appropriate base to use, so we can't offer it! :rolleyes: (That's my interpretation of the response, at least.)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
How many other convertibles out there actually install WITHOUT pool noodles at a 45° angle in a modern vehicle? Very, very few, if any! So, other manufacturers obviously know that their seat can be installed at the wrong angle if someone puts it directly onto the seat, but yet they have instructions to use a pool noodle or towel AND have a 45° indicator on the side of the seat.

Question for the techs, how many convertibles do you see that are installed too upright for an infant that needs a 45° recline? My thoughts are that MOST people use infant seats and by the time the child has outgrown that, they already don't have to be at a 45° angle. So, does SK think that the amount of people using a convertible for an infant is greater than the amount of older kids RF? Because right now, the majority of older kids have the seat installed more upright using techniques that SK is saying shouldn't be used (base pulled away from bight). Is there really that many infant in convertibles that the parent would choose to ignore the 45° recline indicator?

Pixels

Number of convertibles I've checked for very young infants: 1 (a Marathon Classic, probably wouldn't work anyway). Number of infant seats: Lots.

Of the parents who come to checks, most are aware of proper recline angle and trying to get the proper angle. Some have difficulty obtaining the correct angle, and that's why they have brought the seat in for help. But also remember that these are the parents who actually give a crap.

I think most parents think you have to have an infant seat, and aren't even aware you can use a convertible from birth.

christineka

I think sk should just put a line or one of those bubble indicators on the side of the seat and put a label on stating that the line should be parallel to the ground (or bubble within the lines, or whatever) for an infant. Then give us out toddler boot option. The true fit recline has a bubble indicator with two rear-facing areas. One for infants and one for toddlers. It's been done.

Amaris

If they would do something sensible to make it a better seat for everyone it would be great. I would love to be able to rf Kaitlin again, but it's so over reclined that unless another option becomes available for the RN she's going to stay ffing :(

canadiangie

This is a company who has blazed some trails. The fact that they just can't seem to come up with a solution for the problem makes me think they know something, or have seen something in crash testing. The conspiracy theorist in me gets really suspicious about this topic, actually. We don't need to tell them anything about how the seat installs too reclined in some vehicle, too upright in others, or the fact that other seats (MANY seats) offer variable recline. They know this. And like I said, I also think they know something else, that they aren't disclosing. I mean c'mon, this is a company who says screw it to the countless/endless warning about not using a Mighty Tight and not only do they manufacture it, but they recommend it for their seats. Clearly they are... rebels, or something. Yet the issue of a recline foot being adjustable stops them in their tracks and they need to "carefully consider" blah blah blah. :confused: I don't think so.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC