Phil & Ted's E3- is it worth it?

fullofhope

Has anyone tried this stroller with or without the doubles attachment? I am considering this for my 3 yr old and newborn, but is it worth the investment? Does it feel sturdy? Easy to push/steer? Safe for even the child in the back seat?

Or is there another that I should be looking at instead? I hear mountain buggies are good, or BOB, but if the E3 is good then I really like the idea of a tandem style rather than side-by-side.

Thanks!

ADS

arly1983

I have the e3 and we love it. Since they added the finger guards to the rear wheels the doubles attachment is very safe. I thought none of the kids would want to ride in the back but they all want to. I also thought that I would have nowhere to put my bag when I used the doubles kit but I have been able to put my bag down in there so far with every child I have put down there. I can't say how the doubles kit w/ infant recline would work. I never tried it, I wish I would have but Jackson was too heavy for the double kit then.
As for the pushing, steering, It is my Favorite. IT turns on a dime, and is a smooth ride and super easy to push on most any surface. It is also very sturdy. If I have time later I will try to get a pic.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Has anyone tried this stroller with or without the doubles attachment? I am considering this for my 3 yr old and newborn, but is it worth the investment? Does it feel sturdy? Easy to push/steer? Safe for even the child in the back seat?

Or is there another that I should be looking at instead? I hear mountain buggies are good, or BOB, but if the E3 is good then I really like the idea of a tandem style rather than side-by-side.

Thanks!

Where do I start?? I LOVE my E3! I've had it for about 3 years now. My kids are 5 and 22 months. It is the best double I've had... super easy to push, goes anywhere, narrow, comfortable.

Newborn/Toddler Mode
I put a bundle me in the bassinet and laid Mikkel on that for the first two months to give some extra warmth. Then summer hit and he went in the bed by himself. He was still able to sleep in the newborn bed up until about a year... most sites will say 3 or 4 months but we got up to a year in it (and he's tall for his age - 70%)

I would also pop our snugride (20lb/26in model) in the bassinet for quick trips in/out of stores and Aiden (3 at the time) would sit in the front jump seat. An SS1 will also fit in the bassinet (tried it this past week). It is a bit of tight squeeze, but it's doable.

The best thing about the bassinet is that baby is hidden from the world. People were always trying to figure out where the crying was coming from when he'd wake up from a nap.

Toddler/Toddler Mode
The boys only have a 10lb difference in weight between them, so last year (when Aiden wasn't as tall) he would ride in the bottom because he liked it more. I never had it tip on us and have never found it tippy.

Now Mikkel rides in the bottom and Aiden hops in/out when he feels like it. Again (Mikkel is 26lbs), the stroller never tips with just Mikkel in the back.

This is my zoo/park/walking stroller. I have the panniers and found them to be wonderful for these outings. One would hold our lunch/snacks for the day and the other served as my diaper bag. I always left it stocked and had one less bag to pack for the day when going out.

It also works fantastic in the mall. Easy to manoever and narrow enough to go anywhere. I now have a P3 that I use for the mall (the best single out there!) but all outdoor activity is still with the E3.

At 5yrs, 36lbs, and 45" tall (can someone tell this kid to slow down?), Aiden still fits in the front seat with no problems and still likes to ride all the time... he was trained too well!:)

I have no problems pushing it with over 60lbs of kids in it and have had approx. 75lbs of kids in there before. I never have a problem, well that's not true... there was these two times (different years) when it felt difficult, then I realized the tires were really low and needed to be filled up:doh: As soon as I filled them up it was super easy again!

Ok, I'll get off my :soapbox: I really love this stroller!

skipspin

I've had my e-3 since August, but just had #2 two weeks ago.

I am crazy and love going out after I have a baby. We have been to the zoo once and the mall twice. DS LOVES the bassinette and sleeps, well, like a baby in it. It is also nice that not too many people even know he's there. Well, I guess it's nice. I sort of like everyone to see him so IO have an excuse for my flabby tummy. LOL.

DD also loves it, and she loves the "backseat" when I have used it with other older kids. She's almost at the rear seat weight limit (she's 33 lb, and the limit is 35 I think) but even with NO kid in the front it's only tippy if you try to push it backwards.

I say it's great for the age difference I have (3.5 years) and I would spend the money all over again. (I save up my birthday money and DH comtributed some extra money he got selling our mower, so it was an "extra.") If I had kids less than 2 yrs apart I would probably want more of a fully double, but then again maybe not. My DD has just always been a stroller lover and it's a good thing since she is a very slow walker. Good, well behaved, but SO S L O W!

arly1983

We got a deal on ours on ebay. I sold baby stuff till had enought paypal money to bid on one. Ended up getting it for 289 in charcoal. Now I am saving up for some acessories.

leebeeag

definalty-but look into getting the new "sport" model ,the toddler seat reclines...not like the e3 standard.good luck in your hunt

lovinwaves

I guess I am the only one that doesn't like it that much. I like the tandem part of it, but the pushing is hard, IMO. My knees also hit the back of the extra seat. The handle is not ergonomical, and I think there should be more of a suspension on it. A local dealer here sells only BOB strollers because he said he can't get rid of the E3's. I also think the price is way to high for this stroller. I guess I just wasn't impressed. But as far as Tandems go it is one of the top strollers to choose from. I would also look into the Valco.

If you are ok with a Side by Side (which fit through standard doors, and I have never had a problem getting mine to fit anywhere), then check out Baby Jogger. Push a side by side, and then push a E3 (with both of your kids in it), and you will see why I own a side by side. The pushing is much better, and they seem to be better balanced,but then again you lose the singleness width which is great. I have also heard of kids fighting for the rear seat, or in some cases the front seat (not something I want to deal with). You will lose some storage on the bottom with the extra seat on the back, and the childs feet end up in the basket (which I don't like). It also seems the basket would be hard to access also, with a child there. It really comes down to personal preference. I always thought I was a tandem lover, but now having a side by side, I will never go back. I just never thought they would fit through doors and areas, but they do. The other thing is a Side by side will last you longer because of the weight limits. Just my :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC