Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Highest HEIGHT limit for 5-point restraint?

Need a new seat, looking to keep her in a 5-point as long as possible. She's in a SafeGuard Child Seat now, but it broke. She's 52.5 inches tall with a long torso. She has a little bit more room in the SafeGuard seat, but I don't know the strap height to compare it to other seats.
    I'm not up on the latest models or which ones have higher limits, so any help is appreciated.

Thank you
    Christine
    Mom to Daniel and Abby, 9 in Safeguard Child Seat and Britax Frontier - both still harnessed
    Patrick, 4.5, in RF Radian XT SL

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Highest HEIGHT limit for 5-point restraint?

The frontier 85 has the highest harness of any current seat. The top harness position is 19.5", according to the measurements on this site, and the Safeguard seat is 19".

Incidentally, and you may know this already, but at 7.5, most children will be very safe in a highback booster. There is no evidence that a 5 point harness is any safer than a properly used booster for children at least 4 years old & 40 pounds. While many kids aren't ready to use a booster properly at 4 years old, most 7.5 year olds are ready.

Thank you - I do understand the readiness factor. She also has low muscle tone and joint laxity (very loose jointed with little muscle mass). I also know that the mechanism of injury in different crashes can vary. If all crahes were only frontal ones, I might think differently. But most involve some degree of side impact or force (rollovers after frontal crashes), and IMO it's still safer to be in a 5-point restraint. I keep hoping for active head restraints to show in child restraints, that would be even better. But in the meantime this is the lesser evil in terms of risk IMO.
    Christine
    Mom to Daniel and Abby, 9 in Safeguard Child Seat and Britax Frontier - both still harnessed

Moderator - CPS Technician

Sounds like your dd is one who can definitely benefit from being harnessed. She is lucky to have a mom like you looking out for her.

Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

If there is a valid medical concern, and she is approaching the maximum height limit of any traditional restraint (we'd have to have a torso measurement) you may want to consult her medical team with regards to obtaining a special needs restraint. The Frontier may buy you 6 months or a year, but if there's a long-term issue there you may want to take this opportunity to address it for the long-term.

-N.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Hmmm...I wonder if the new Britax convertibles have what could be called an Active Head Restraint? http://www.youtube.com/user/BritaxUS.../0/n_-fncKg8cQ

Anyway, I think you'll like the Frontier 85, it's very tall and comfy, my kids fit harnessed it (or would have, if we'd owned one, lol) till about age 9, and is an excellent, supportive booster that can be left LATCHed in and fits kids up to 12 or older (5'5" is the top listed height for booster mode).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Oh, good idea, Nicole, there's really a lot of very tall special needs restraints that might last a lot longer
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

How much harnessing room did/does she have in the safeguard child seat? Is brother okay to go booster, and for your dd to use his child seat? If she has a strap slot left in the safeguard, then there may be many options for a traditional harness for her.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Christine -- I'm pretty much here for the same reason! My soon-to-be 8 yo is at the max height on the Radian XT & I'm looking for another 5pt system (though I doubt it'll be another car seat) for him. We were in a serious car accident more than a year ago (from which I am still hurt) & he's not at all interested in vacating his saftey seat for a booster. Not after beign told in the ER that he likely wouldn't have survived the crash had (at 6-1/2) he been in a traditional booster. Can't say that I blame him & in fact tend to I agree... May we both luck out with a soultion!

Quote Originally Posted by QuassEE View Post
    If there is a valid medical concern, and she is approaching the maximum height limit of any traditional restraint (we'd have to have a torso measurement) you may want to consult her medical team with regards to obtaining a special needs restraint. The Frontier may buy you 6 months or a year, but if there's a long-term issue there you may want to take this opportunity to address it for the long-term.
    -N.
    Here laxity is moderate, and her low tone is mild. The combination makes her somewhat floppy though. I don't *think* she needs a special needs harness, but it's something to ask her ped and neurologist about. She is not supposed to go on rollercoasters and similar rides due to her issues, so in the car I want to give her as much protection as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer mom to my 7 View Post
    How much harnessing room did/does she have in the safeguard child seat? Is brother okay to go booster, and for your dd to use his child seat? If she has a strap slot left in the safeguard, then there may be many options for a traditional harness for her.
    She probably has another inch or so, but the headrest is at the top (it's not a slot system, it's an "infinite" sdjustment) Her twin brother has the exact same issues, except for slightly better joint laxity. And he's skinnier than she is weight-wise. I am planning on keeping him in the SafeGuard until he outgrows it and then we'll put him in a booster. My youngest is still RF, he's 3.5 in a Radian XTSL because I figured by the time I turn him around the SafeGuards will be expired (or broken at this rate, we bought 3 and so far 2 have broken).

Thank you for the confirmation that the seat *should* work for her
    Christine

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Hmmm...I wonder if the new Britax convertibles have what could be called an Active Head Restraint? http://www.youtube.com/user/BritaxUS.../0/n_-fncKg8cQ

Anyway, I think you'll like the Frontier 85, it's very tall and comfy, my kids fit harnessed it (or would have, if we'd owned one, lol) till about age 9, and is an excellent, supportive booster that can be left LATCHed in and fits kids up to 12 or older (5'5" is the top listed height for booster mode).
    This is another reason i'm interested in it, but the height is the overriding factor.
    Christine

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Okay, if you are looking for a traditional seat for now, then you need to look at the frontier 85. It will harness longer than the safeguard child seat, but I am not sure it will have the support you think they might need. This is why a special needs seat has been suggested. Then again, if they are okay as long as they are harnessed, the frontier 85 will be the highest harnessed seat available.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown