SN Child on Schoolbus

cmm7

Hello,

I am now a para for an almost 5 year old who goes to a typical pre-school. She has been diagnosed with Krabbe disease and have very limited to no control of her body. She rides RF in her car in a MyRide which supports her well. She has her first school field trip on Monday and the school and bus company are being horrible working with us. She used to ride FF in a BV which worked fairly well so we want to put this on the bus for her. However, they are telling us this is illegal and unsafe. It is a typical minibus... the other kids are in built in harnessed seats. There are also lap/shoulder belts on the bus. It is this.

Someone please show me somewhere I can prove this is not illegal or unsafe? The built in seats don't have the appropriate support for her. The school is now saying she has to stay home that day or get a ride to the trip! While I can drive her, her parents and I agree that is simply not fair. Any documents show that you can install car seats on the bus? Thanks.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Who is telling you it is illegal and unsafe? Did they give a reason? The only reason it would be unsafe is if the seatbelts were not properly reinforced. It sounds like that is not the case here. Or if the other children were not restrained, ditto. Now, there may be space concerns, but those can probably be alleviated. I'd agree that the least restrictive solution would be to allow her to ride on the bus with the rest of the class, in a seat that supports her properly. I'd go up the chain of command-- is the preschool run by the SD? Or is it private?

Maybe someone thinks, for some reason, you're talking about a booster seat or something? Clarify that this seat can be installed with a lap/shoulder belt only, offer to show them that in the instructions, and explain that it provides appropriate support and their seats do not.

cmm7

Apparently a "tech" (putting in quotation marks since I do not know if he was truly certified) came by to look at the bus and both he and the bus company said this. The reason, coming from her PT who met with the "tech" was, "it is my understanding from the car seat expert that riding on the bus, even in a forward-facing car seat such as the Britax, is not a safe option due to the fact that her spine and head will not be adequately protected in the event of an accident." This is through the YMCA pre-school.

They are not misunderstanding about the seat. It was brought in before and used once last year before this nonsense about it being "illegal" and "unsafe" came about.

Even if we do not work it out in time for Monday we, meaning her parents and I, feel this is hugely inappropriate. At a meeting yesterday we were informed this is an ongoing problem for children who need accommodations in their transportation at the Y. Her parents are VERY involved, we just need proof backing up what we know in order to fight this since none of us know where to take it. This has been going on through her case coordinator, PT, and the head of the program.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How about installing her rear-facing MyRide on the bus? That should dissuade all concerns about spine and neck protection.

Also, a bus is, statistically, much safer than a car. Even a small bus. Keep fighting.

It's in no way illegal (or really unsafe) for a 3 year old to forward-face in a 5 point harness. Otherwise, NONE of those children would be safe. Rear-facing is safER but forward-facing at 3 is very safe. As long as she has adequate support (which she WOULD in her seat, but would NOT in the integrated harness) there is nothing about her condition that makes her abnormally susceptible to spine/neck injury, is there?

I'm betting that the tech said that it would not be ok for her to ride in the integrated harness-- and someone is interpreting this (perhaps deliberately) as she can't be on the bus at all.

What area are you in? Perhaps there is a tech from this board, or someone knows someone in the area, who could come make a statement in person. I know I am willing to write letters/emails on your behalf if necessary. Getting a CPST's input as well as her doctor's in regard to this issue may help convince them. It sounds like they don't have a problem with the seat as much as with transporting her at all-- which is not cool.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would ask for the name of the tech, so you can confirm their credentials. I suspect they're not really a tech. If the bus has seatbelts, they're required to be the reinforced seats--this means they are capable of holding the weight of that child+seat. In fact--I would look to see if there's a top tether anchor on the seatbacks, since if you find that then you have your proof..

-Nicole.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Gotta have more info. I don't see how installing the seat would be illegal or unsafe. The only thing I can think of, which really is not completely coming to me now, is something about the systems that are on the bus. Geez, my mind is a blank. About not being able to use the seat in a certain position if the bus harnesses are being used. Maybe someone can help me remember. I will try to find my dvd when I get home.

cmm7

Thanks, everyone. I will ask for the name of this man and contact him myself to see what the reason is that the seat is not allowed on the bus.

KQ, it is not the fact she would be FF (they have no idea she is RF in the car) but the seat on the bus in general. Also, we are in Burlington, VT. I am not aware of any Vermonters on the board.

Thanks for all the input so far. I will talk to her parents tomorrow about everything you have said to this point. I am going to be away all weekend, but will be back on Monday to read the thread and update you all.

Pixels

The student manual (www.cpsboard.com) talks about installing child seats on school buses. Page 197ish.

There is a small possiblity that you will find a tether anchor, but in the US buses are specifically exempted from TAs so most don't have them.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
According to the find a tech thread catfeet is in VT, and has even had the special needs training (which covers transportation on buses a bit, and assessing the needs of an individual child as part of a team of health care providers quite a lot.) I'd PM her and see if she can help you if needed.

As I said, if she has no specific weakness/vulnerability of the neck/spine, there is NO reason that transporting her on the bus would be illegal or unsafe, as if it were, it would also be illegal and unsafe to transport other children her age! The statement that it would be just because she has a special medical need even though it does NOT affect her ability to ride forward-facing, and her parents are providing a seat that can be safely installed on the bus, is definitely discriminatory.

cmm7

Thanks so much, everyone. We were not able to get it worked out before the trip today, but her parents are not dropping the issue. I will definitely contact catfeet if they decide input from another tech would be beneficial. This has given us a great place to start.

Judi, have you heard back from SafeGuard?

Melissa, thanks for the link to the manual, I will print that section out for Wednesday to give to them. It even talks about kids with SN needing seats on the bus.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Do you know the specific bus they have? There is the possibility that the spacing of the bus rows do not allow for adequate head excursion room for a typical car seat.

cmm7

I am not sure about the specific make/model of the bus. It is a typical minibus. I will try to find out. I am working on contacting the tech and driver right now... so far no replies. The tech was the same that checked out the car so she (turns out it is a woman I got her name and she is certified and even in special needs) knows S is RFing in the car. If it does turn out to be that I will let them know about RFing still being ok.

cmm7

So we're having a meeting and in attendance will be this tech who started all this. Super...

Thanks for all your help, the resources will at least give me some written proof to work off of!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC