Anyone have a Sienna or Odyssey w/Regent (side airbag question)?

CatSanders

I am still a bit concerned about the size of the Regent and any problems it may have being put outboard w/side curtain airbags. I was rereading my owners manual (i have an 04 Sienna) and it said that children should not be near the windows or door of the vehicle. The Regent base fits great on the seat but the top of the seat is just a few inches from the window and airbag (I would assume since it is so close to the window). I called Britax and they referred me to Toyota. I called Toyota and they gave me the same information as the owners manual. I am just curious if anyone can definetly tell me that the Regent's size wont interfere with the side curtain airbags in the event of a collision. Thanks.

ADS

gwenvet

Hmmm, I have no idea. Currently, we have the Regent in the passenger captains chair but it is installed in the more center position of our 06 7 passenger. I'd be interested to see what others say.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Toyota has a habit, IME, of merely repeating whatever is written in the manuals (even so far as to say "read me your manual" first, LOL) -- a good way of covering their butts ;) But, Toyota is generally great for carseats so this doesn't matter too much to me....

Anyway, I've been taught that side curtain airbags are perfectly safe to install carseats next to (it's the front seat side torso airbags that can be dangerous). Doesn't the vehicle manual give information for installing carseats in the outboard positions? There's LATCH there, right? If so then a carseat is perfectly safe there & I would fell safer using the Regent over almost any other seat (assuming of course it's the appropriate fit for the child).

CatSanders

Anyway, I've been taught that side curtain airbags are perfectly safe to install carseats next to (it's the front seat side torso airbags that can be dangerous). Doesn't the vehicle manual give information for installing carseats in the outboard positions? There's LATCH there, right? If so then a carseat is perfectly safe there & I would fell safer using the Regent over almost any other seat (assuming of course it's the appropriate fit for the child).

Yes my vehicle has LATCH in all three seats in the middle row. I have posted about this before, but I guess I am nervous because neither Toyota or Britax could confirm that the top of the seat wouldnt have an adverse effect on the airbag. I have both of the Regent's installed outboard. I mean really the seat isnt any bigger than say my DH with his broad shoulders and I would be comfortable putting him in that seat. I guess its just my anxiety and paranoia. Thanks. I will trust what you say!:2thumbsup:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I worried about this too with my Sienna but I found comfort when I saw how side curtain airbags deploy. It is not fast and they are not under a great amount of force. They kind of just pop or roll down into place all of a sudden. If the Regent was in the way I don't think it would affect the performance of the airbags, to me it looks like that part of the airbag would just get hung up on the side of the Regent. And then in the other places the air bag would function as normal. This is speculation but if you can find a video of them you will probably agree and see that it doesn't look like it would cause that much of a problem.

scatterbunny

My instructors said it's only side IMPACT airbags that have been an issue, not side curtain airbags, and that it's only a problem if the carseat or vehicle owner's manual says not to place them next to the airbags. :)

CatSanders

I am assuming its OK because I am sure I am not the only one in America with a Regent and Sienna. I am sure if there were a problem we would have heard. The Husky has been around for years, correct? My owners manual didnt say anything about not putting a seat next to the door- so I guess its safe to assume there has not been any problems reported. I will try and find a video showing how they deploy just to ease my mind. Thanks!!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have a Husky on the driver's side captain's chair in my '05 Sienna with plenty of clearance on the side from the side curtain air bags. I'm perfectly comfortable with it and TBH, won't own another vehicle without the air bags. Side curtain air bags deploy straight down and will only injure someone who is out-of-position leaning against the window or out of the window. A properly restrained child won't be doing that.

These pictures are from last year's Lifesavers Conference and there are 2 that show deployed side curtain air bags in a VW: http://www.carseatsite.com/lifesavers2006.htm . Even though there's no perspective, you can still see that they're right against the window.

HTH!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC