RA 50 escapee

jaded

Yep, I've got one. My awesome deal on the RA50 is now a moot point, as the second time Ds rode in it, he pushed the chest clip down and the shoulder straps off his shoulders(and they were tight too). I had to pull over on the interstate to fix the straps.

Looks like I may just be purchasing a second Radian. Is the new style chest clip as difficult to mess with as the old style?

ADS

Pixels

I think the new clip is easier than the old clip. The old clip isn't available from SKJP any more, but if you ask on swap, usually there's several offers.

jjordan

Put some scratchy velcro on the top of the chest clip to discourage him from pushing it down. There are other ways you can help prevent that problem as well, so I'd try those before giving up on the seat entirely!

skylinphoto

I had that prob with my dd recently. She's 2.5.
For us, it was just a discipline issue. Being consistant and treating like anything else she was doing that is incorrect and unsafe was key for us. :) It took lots of trial rides knowing id have to pull over often and the help of another set of eyes on her..either my oldest tattling on her or me sitting in the back whle hubby drives.

jaded

But, the problem with that is that most of the time when I'm driving with him, I'm on the interstate(I live 20 miles out of "town") and I run my errands, do playdates, etc while my older kids are in school. So practicing with him in it isn't an easy thing to do either. This seat was for dh's vehicle, an SUV(in my van because I was cleaning the Radian).
I wasn't liking the strap slot spacing anyway, he's 29 months, and still on the bottom slots(shoulders are slightly below the 2nd set of slots)

cookie123

This is working for us:

IMG_0313.jpg

Sorry the pic is so big. I don't know how to make it smaller. This is like the first picture I've ever posted! Anyway - we put these harness covers below the chest clip and it works to keep the chest clip in place. He can't get it down now. We'll take them off soon and try again without.

Dillipop

But, the problem with that is that most of the time when I'm driving with him, I'm on the interstate(I live 20 miles out of "town") and I run my errands, do playdates, etc while my older kids are in school. So practicing with him in it isn't an easy thing to do either. This seat was for dh's vehicle, an SUV(in my van because I was cleaning the Radian).
I wasn't liking the strap slot spacing anyway, he's 29 months, and still on the bottom slots(shoulders are slightly below the 2nd set of slots)

How slightly below those second slots? A half inch or so? If relatively close, I'd make the parental decision to move the straps up. Should take care of your little houdini problem- less strap available to wiggle out of.

Joyofbirth

I was having this trouble with my 21 month old. We put the hugs under her chest clip. Does the RA50 have hugs? I hate it but it works. I also would move the straps up to the next slot if he's *just* under. Good luck. I understand as I'm in the same boat.

Niea

My 2.5 yo started this recently in his TF. For us it also was a discipline issue, with him testing boundaries and limits. After he's buckled in, I tell him not to move the chest clip. Then every few minute of the trip I remind him not to move the clip. He's mostly compliant but forgets easily and the constant reminders help. You may try that and see if it works for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC