If it says for 40 lbs...

annb

My 5 year old dd needs to move to the 3rd row mini-van seat next month. I'm pretty sure I'd like her in a HBB. She is *close* to 40 lbs. and it would probably be dependent on day/time/scale as to wether or not she would measure as 40 lbs. So if a seat says for 40 lbs, does that measurement need to be exact?
If she's 'close enough' then I will have her go into a Parkway that we have.

ADS

icnee

Each persons opinion of 'close enough' can be completely different from the next persons opinion of it s ince the wait requierment for said seat is 40lbs than I would make sure that when you go to use it she is 40lbs.
Now if there was away to messure ounces i would be ok with 2 or maybe even 3 ounces off but not an whole pound.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I think that most people agree that, for example, for a harness seat that only is arted for up to 40 pounds, you stop using it at 40 lbs (some even think like 39!) period. no wiggle room.
However...you are asking a different wquestion...you are looking to pout a kid who may or may not be *quite* 40 pounds into a booster rated for 40+ pounds, yes? In that case, the measurement ius probably not quite as vital, but technically, you should still go by manufacturers instructions. Also, 5 is on the young side for a booster anyway, so most are probably going to want that full 40 lbs. If she were like...7.5 and still only 38 pounds, probably most would be okay with using the booster..but at 5? not as much.

A very simple way to fix your problem is to buy a turbo..rated for 30+ pounds and fits littles well. Then you are good to go without needing to "fudge" even a little bit.

Pixels

I would not fudge on it. IMO, for minimums, that needs to be naked child weight.

A seat that is rated for a child under 40 pounds is tested with an additional dummy compared to a seat that is only rated for children over 40 pounds.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
If a child isn't consistently 40lbs than I'm not comfortable with them in a hbb that states minimum is 40lbs. No I wouldn't fudge it. I would try to find another hbb with a lower weight limit or use a 5pt harness a little longer.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
There are plenty of good, readily available boosters with 30# weight limits, and the Turbo is one of them. I wouldn't knowingly misuse a seat when there are plenty of other choices. (As a thread upstairs discusses, a surprise 4# baby and only 5# seats available is different, because sometimes families truly don't have choices.)

skylinphoto

You're siggy says she's riding in a Frontier. Is there a reason she can't continue to ride in that?

If there's a reason she just can't stay harness a little longer I'd get a Turbobooster. I know, at least for me, my mind would be more at ease to know I was following the manufacturers 'rules'.

annb

You're siggy says she's riding in a Frontier. Is there a reason she can't continue to ride in that?

If there's a reason she just can't stay harness a little longer I'd get a Turbobooster. I know, at least for me, my mind would be more at ease to know I was following the manufacturers 'rules'.

She can't usually buckle the Frontier herself (though she did it today), and she is asking to move to a booster. I won't be able to reach her in the 3rd row, and I'll have 2 others to buckle in. Yes, technically she could stay in it. But I also hate dd2's Boulevard CS. The CS part of it doesn't work right (I've called Britax, but it still doesn't work the way I think it should). So what I would prefer to do is give the Frontier to dd2. But I'm not going to buy a turbobooster since I can keep dd2 in the Boulevard CS or even put her in our Wizard that has another 8 months or so on it and not have to buy any seats right now.
DS1 is outgrowing the Parkway that is in dh's car (in terms of how his bottom fits in it, technically by height he is fine and he says he is comfortable but his legs hang way over and his shoulders look a little scrunchy). I'd like to put something in there that they both fit in, but utilize the Parkway if I decide that dd1 will use a booster. And since the pp pointed out that the original Parkway doesn't have a min weight on it, I guess my original question doesn't quite apply. She looks like the fit is really good in the Parkway. I don't have concerns about her slipping through the seatbelts with how they are fitting on her in the Parkway.

I guess what I really need to decide is do I sell the CS or not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC