is this too harsh?

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
The mom is the kind that "needs a healthy dose of fear, if you know what I mean. Her 9 mo is FFing in a SCenera, with terribly loose install, same DD currently has a broken collar bone from falling off the dining room table.... here is what I wrote... the video I added is the recent youtube RF is safer video.

Hey- I really dont want to be pushy and I know that you have your reasons but if I didnt say something and anything happened I would feel responsible.

Emma is not safely or legally restrained in her carseat the way that you have been using it, Forward facing. The federal law is 1yr old AND 20lbs, at a MINIMUM. The carseat manufacturer states that a child MUST be a MINIMUM of 22lbs AND 34 INCHES tall. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that all children continue to rear face in their convertible carseats to at LEAST 2yrs old or 35lbs. I urge you to please consider installing her seat rear facing. You could be placing your child at risk for major spinal injuries including but not limited to a broken neck, internal decapitation, paralysis and even death. Children under the age of 4 are at risk for these injuries because their spines are still mostly cartilidge and thier skull is not fully connected to their spine. Most CPST's (Child Passenger Safety Technicians, such as myself) recommend that children remain rear facing to age 3 or 4, but AT LEAST the minimum AAP recommendation of 2yrs old. Here is a video explaining why rear facing is so important.

I also wanted to mention that while we were all at my dads last week you mentioned that you had trouble installing the Cosco Scenera carseat that you have for Emma. I did (descreetly) check the install in Donnies car and while I know you meant you had trouble with it rear facinf, it was also installed improperly for forward facing as well. There should be less than 1 inch of movement at the beltpath( where the seatbelt goes thru the carseat), there was easily upwards of 8-10 inches of movement. This could be fatal in a car accident. Please give me a call. I'm trained and certified to educate parents on how to properly and most imporantly SAFELY install and restrain their children while in the car. I am incredible passionate about carseat safety and while some people think so, it really is NOT as easy as it looks.

I really hope that I havent offended you. Please let me know if you have any questions. My email is NOT to offend or anything, simply an offer to help and educate. I hope that I hear from you soon.

ADS

a_js

No, and if she takes offense it's her problem.

I couldn't see that and not say anything either.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Good I was hoping the whole internal decapitation thing wasn't going overboard. I normally try to stay away from such blunt, scare tactics but this girl is, well she argued about MY 2.5 yo being RFing because she COULD be turned at 1yr and 20. Like I should WANT her FFing, just because she could, despite the fact that I said she was safer....Thanks everyone~!

Evolily

The AAP part is wrong. They recommend rear facing until the limits of the seat, nothing about 2 years old or 35 lbs or whatever. Also, I do not believe 1 and 20 is federal law.

I think it's too harsh. I think she will read it and tune it out. All it will succeed in is venting your frustration. Something like "I'm concerned about your daughters safety in the car. Please take a minute to watch these videos. *insert URL for the nice, polished Norwegian rear facing video and maybe another RFing video of your choice*. If you need help installing your seat or using it I am certified to do so more than willing to help, if you want to see someone else you can find another child passenger safety technician at *insert safekids URL*"

Also, my goal would be to have her turn her back RFing to at least 1 and 20 (and whatever limits her seat imposes), and then if she wants to RF longer great, but that wouldn't be my goal. My primary goal would be for her to properly use and install the seat 100% of the time, even if she chooses to FF at 1 and 20.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I agree, a minumu at 1yr and 20. At this point the child is 9mo and 15lbs FFing for moms convienence.

MS does not have a law for rearfacing, only that children under 4 must be in a carseat. I understand the problems with stating that as a federal law. Unfortuntly she isnt even goign to check it so it really doesnt matter. I could have said her head was on fire for all she cares.

I thought the AAP recommendaton was to the limits of a convertible seat.. or at least 2yo. Thats where I got the 2yo and other than the CS (and maybe 1 other?) the lowest RF limit, and in this case, her seat, is 35lbs.

Evolily

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Did you fix the typos before you sent it? If so, it was fine. It's not a federal law to rear face to a year. While she may not check it, it does put you in doubt as to what else you don't know if she does check it.

The AAP does specifically say two years minimum and as long as possible, so that's fine.

Wendy

Evolily

The AAP does specifically say two years minimum and as long as possible, so that's fine.

Where do they say it? There was an article published in the AAP's journal written by an individual member, but they still stand by the 2002 recommendations and haven't made a policy change.

http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/carseatsafety.cfm
Which links to http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;109/3/550 under professional policies appears to be the most recent professional recommendation. The parents and family recommendations I linked to above.

Healthy children website is the parent education website created by the american academy of pediatrics. The AAP site links to it, and it carries it's logo.

annb

I don't think it's too harsh, but I think it's a little too wordy. I would just say something about how the baby isn't safe forward facing (with one or two sentences of "fear", perhaps), the seat's not installed properly (& could be fatal), and you'd be happy to install it correctly. And link the video.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC