Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Tips for a tiny baby (5.5 pounds) in a SR22?

My coworker got a travel system with a SR22 in it. She delivered her baby boy today weighing in at 5 pounds, 7 ounces and at 19.5" long. They'll be heading home in a few days (she had a c-section) and I'm looking for tips/pics I can send her way to show her how to make sure he fits as well as can be. Anyone care to help?
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Tips for a tiny baby (5.5 pounds) in a SR22?

Rolled blankets on each side of the baby, and she'll probably need to roll up a wash cloth and put it in between the baby's bum and the crotch buckle.

Lemme find a picture.
    Click here to learn about those little green boxes, aka, reputation and "thanks"!
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." - Bill Nye

Ok, excuse the lovely stuffed bear, apparently my niece has ran off and hidden the baby doll that I use for Tech purposes. If I find the baby doll, I'll update the pictures.

First picture: No padding/support for "baby".

Second: Extra space between baby and crotch buckle:

Third: Placed a rolled washcloth between baby and crotch buckle, to prevent baby from slouching.

Fourth: Placed rolled receiving blankets on both sides. Finished view of baby with rolled blankets/washcloth in crotch buckle space.

(Man, the things I do for car-seat.org members. )
    Click here to learn about those little green boxes, aka, reputation and "thanks"!
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." - Bill Nye

5. Thank You from:

Yes, all of that! And make sure they install as close to 45* as possible. I had the original SR20 with DS, who was 5.5lb and 18" and I padded that thing like crazy for a good 2-3mths before he fit in it really well.
    10yo in a Connext
    1yo in a Coccoro
    Babe in a Comfy Carry

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

The SR22 is not likely to correctly fit a tiny baby: if there's a CPST or very knowledgeable nurse doing the carseat checks, they may tell her the seat is not usable. It is misuse to use a rear-facing seat unless the child's shoulders are above the bottom strap settings.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

My daughter was 5lbs 11oz and we had a Britax Companion. I never noticed any gap like that in the straps or crotch buckle (though it did have the belly pad so I'm sure that helped). I did use a rolled up receiving blanket around her head on the way home from the hospital. My husband forgot the side impact head support thingy when he brought it from home (I went into labor rather unexpectedly). I wish I could find my pics of her in the seat.