Techs, how many pool noodles

dragonfly8

should I take with me tomorrow to my clinic? Is it wise to pre-cut them? Or no. If yes, how many inches do you pre-cut? I don't expect more than a few people there, if that makes a difference!

Thanks;)

Last edited:
ADS

Mae

First, what are you using them for? I have no idea what they're being used for... so bring... 5? LOL, let me know why you need them. :p

Second, don't pre cut them. Cut them as you need them. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I pre-cut and put 5 quarters in my bag at a time, because that's what fits (I quarter them and trim as necessary, because I need them to fit in my bag.)

If I didn't need them to fit in my bag, I wouldn't pre-cut. And how many to bring, depends on how many cars you expect to do.

dragonfly8

First, what are you using them for? I have no idea what they're being used for... so bring... 5? LOL, let me know why you need them. :p

Second, don't pre cut them. Cut them as you need them. :)

Oh, hahaha, guess that would help!
I'm doing a few seat checks tomorrow evening (I"m going to have the parents install their own seats) but want to bring along a few noodles incase we need them to get the proper recline.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
When you say "a few" do you expect 3 cars? 5? 12? Do you expect all infant seats and/or rear-facing convertibles, or a mix of seats and children of different ages?

dragonfly8

I pre-cut and put 5 quarters in my bag at a time, because that's what fits (I quarter them and trim as necessary, because I need them to fit in my bag.)

If I didn't need them to fit in my bag, I wouldn't pre-cut. And how many to bring, depends on how many cars you expect to do.

I don't expect there to be too many, maybe 8 people in total, including myself, and I know a few of them are walking...so maybe 4 or so?

dragonfly8

When you say "a few" do you expect 3 cars? 5? 12? Do you expect all infant seats and/or rear-facing convertibles, or a mix of seats and children of different ages?

I believe most of the parents there have kids around the same ages as mine, so over 2, so I'm going to guess not too many infant seats. And I would guess around 4 or so, a few of the people attending (there are 2 home business open houses at the same place) are walking, so hopefully no more than 4 cars

My friend who is having the open house is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to car seats and installations so that will be a big help to me!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I only ever use one noodle out of about every 8-12 seats. I always "cut" them when I need them, since seatbelt dimensions and seat sizes can differ. Most noodles "cut" most easily by twisting them until a section pops loose. I never actually cut them, hence the irritating use of quotes above :)

-N.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you're doing 4 cars, with several rear-facers but mostly older, I think one pool noodle should do fine, if you need it at all. If you were going to have a lot of newborns/expectant parents and a few more cars, I'd say bring 2, but you should be good with one. :)

dragonfly8

I only ever use one noodle out of about every 8-12 seats. I always "cut" them when I need them, since seatbelt dimensions and seat sizes can differ. Most noodles "cut" most easily by twisting them until a section pops loose. I never actually cut them, hence the irritating use of quotes above :)

-N.

Huh! I had no idea they'd pop! Good to know!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
(FTR, I can't do the twisty thing. All I end up doing is hurting my hands and swearing. :shrug-shoulders: I carry a pocket knife in my tech kit, but I've heard, and would expect, that a serrated plastic table knife works just as well. I use my knife for other things too.)

canadiangie

I do clinics where I know 6-8 families will be coming and usually carry 3-4 noodles with me at any given time, which is a ton and way more than needed. I pre-cut in 12" sections? Maybe slightly larger. I use a steak knife usually. It makes a nice clean cut and its fast.

Pixels

I throw a pool noodle (whole) in my trunk. It's still whole. I've never needed one yet where the parent didn't already have one at private checks. I've only ever needed noodles for Sceneras at public checks, but then the checkpoint provides the noodles.

I had a family come in for a private check. One of their seats was a Scenera. They brought a whole noodle, but we didn't even use it because the rolled towel they had was fine.

I do the twist and pop thing.

dragonfly8

I throw a pool noodle (whole) in my trunk. It's still whole. I've never needed one yet where the parent didn't already have one at private checks. I've only ever needed noodles for Sceneras at public checks, but then the checkpoint provides the noodles.

I had a family come in for a private check. One of their seats was a Scenera. They brought a whole noodle, but we didn't even use it because the rolled towel they had was fine.

I do the twist and pop thing.

OK, so with the twist and pop, if it does work for me, do you take the noodle that is long and thin (once popped), fold it up and tape it? I've never needed to use a pool noodle..........and now I'm kind of hoping I don't!

QuassEE

You just twist and pop off anywhere from 9-13" depending on the size of the base of the carseat. If you need three, you do it three times and tape them. Usually it's Sceneras for me, too.

Oh hey, here's an example, see under the RF foot? That yellow bit? That noodle is only so long as the foot itself, which is really quite narrow. I think once you have the situation come up, you'll realize what needs to be done :)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_CLYBUQXgTx8/SfzyyQQH1XI/AAAAAAAAKnc/zXQUNe7U5Es/s400/IMG_6662.JPG

(love our forums for photos!)

-N.

canadiangie

You just twist and pop off anywhere from 9-13" depending on the size of the base of the carseat. If you need three, you do it three times and tape them. Usually it's Sceneras for me, too.

Oh hey, here's an example, see under the RF foot? That yellow bit? That noodle is only so long as the foot itself, which is really quite narrow. I think once you have the situation come up, you'll realize what needs to be done :)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_CLYBUQXgTx8/SfzyyQQH1XI/AAAAAAAAKnc/zXQUNe7U5Es/s400/IMG_6662.JPG

(love our forums for photos!)

-N.

And just to clarify for lurkers, Sunshine Kids doesn't allow for noodles under their recline foot... to my knowledge, anyway.

QuassEE

That seems to be the current position. I think that photo was 2008 and there was some question at that point.

-Nicole.

simplychels

(FTR, I can't do the twisty thing. All I end up doing is hurting my hands and swearing. :shrug-shoulders: I carry a pocket knife in my tech kit, but I've heard, and would expect, that a serrated plastic table knife works just as well. I use my knife for other things too.)
Car keys work nicely too ;)

Quick and you'll always have them when doing a seat check!

Loves2sing

I generally keep my teeth close by, too. They work well.

-N.

Hmm... I usually leave my teeth at home.:p

I at first thought when I read the beginning thread, why would you bring any? Then I remembered how spoiled I am. I do checks at our local St. John's Ambulance, always inside, with a ton of pool noodles in the back room.:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC