Best Seat for 2005 Corolla???

armyofone

I'm trying to decide between the Graco My Ride 65 and the Evenflo Triumph. I've read that they are both ok to fit into a small sedan. But even with my infant carseat/carrier, when it is installed on the passenger side, the front passenger seat has to be moved way up. I'm not sure that any car seat would install correctly in the middle, as i have tried and can't seem to get it to install tightly enough.
Can someone please give me some advice because i am a little wary of Evenflo because I heard they have alot of recalls. And mostly i want it to be safe and fit very well so that i can fit someone in my front seat.
I have only one child so if it's a wide car seat, it's ok because no one else rides in the back.
Hope that makes sense!!

ADS

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Hello and welcome!

How old is your child and how much does he/she weigh? These will help us make recommendations on your seat choice.

And infant seats can sometimes take up more room than a convertible seat can. When a baby gets older the seat can be installed more upright and can give the passengers more leg room.

U

Unregistered

he is almost 9 months and about 22 lbs.
he is just moving up from his infant seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've found the Triumph Advance to be a problem in Corollas simply because the knobs don't get along with the curve of the seat cushions. I also find higher-profile seats harder to load a child into, especially in the center. I've never tried the MyRide in a Corolla personally, but I'm sure someone has... The First Years True Fit tends not to play well with the Corolla because of the required lockoffs and belt and lower anchor geometry, which is too bad, because it would be a great fit otherwise.

The Safety 1st Complete Air can install very upright (as needed and desired) but does not fit kids typically until they've outgrown the infant seat. (So it might just work for you!)

The Sunshine Kids Radians can actually fit in the middle more upright than they can outboard, and is allowed to touch the seats in front on pre-advanced-airbag model Toyotas, so the driver's seat can be totally unaffected if you move it over toward the passenger side of the middle as much as possible, and the passenger seat can be pretty far back as it just hits the edge of the Radian's widest part, letting it protrude into the space between the seats several inches.

Any seat can be much more upright for an older child than a newborn, older children do not need the 45 degree angle a newborn does. :)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Firstly, I' d like to discuss the issue of recalls.

Recalls are not a bad thing. In fact, we WANT carseat manufacturers to be constantly reassessing performance, looking at real life data, and recalling products if they need modifications or are found unsafe. Having said that, I would also like to point out that the vast majority of carseat recalls are not safety related. Most carseat recalls involve stickering and instructions. Finally, carseat companies who are voluntarily recalling products are providing a service to their customers versus companies that are sweeping problems under the rug and hoping not to be caught. Now, would you prefer your carseat manufacturer notify you of a potential problem and provide resolution OR would you prefer they don't?

As for an appropriate restraint for your child... Since it looks like you just have the one child, you can use your centre seating position in your Corolla, correct? Your model year of Corolla generally has the most space for a rear-facing convertible seat that sits between the front seats, although at 9 months of age your child will be significantly more upright than they were as a young infant.

You'll want to purchase a seat that fits well in your car (obviously!), fits your budget, fits your child, can rear-face as long as possible (ideally 35, 40, or 45lbs) and harnesses to the maximum 65lbs. Do not concern yourself with whether or not your seat can be used as a booster later on, since a) your seat will expire and you will need to purchase a booster, regardless; b) generally, harnessed seats do not also make good boosters (a couple of exceptions). Buy the seat that fits your child well now, and worry about boosters later.

Do you have a budget? Other than space issues in your car, do you have any other concerns (easy to remove and reinstall, for example, if you have two cars?)

-Nicole.

QuassEE

ketchup--have you tried the new Marathon in the Corolla yet? I found that the old Marathon shell sat up nice and high and between the two front seats of my Corolla. I'm wondering if the new model is just as nice in there.

-N.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I haven't tried the new models yet. I had an old-style Boulevard in the center and while it fit fine, I hated it for loading in, I was always bonking my head when buckling.

QuassEE

I loved it, since I'd put Aiden into the car and he would climb into the seat himself.. then I'd sit in an outboard seat while buckling :) Works great in the rain, here. Doesn't work so well in your situation, with three across.

-N.

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much for your advice. I should have posted earlier since i was actually purchasing the car seat today. But i did end up going with the Evenflo Triumph Advance.
I asked the employee in Babies r Us if the there has to be a specific degree of recline or if it's just for the comfort of my baby and she said it doesn't matter.
After installing it i thought it looked like it wasn't reclined at all and yet it was fully reclined back. I know i need to fix the level with with a blanket or something under the base so i hope that makes a huge difference as the line only looks slightly off right now, that degree of recline will definitely not work for when he's sleepy.
But as far as the install with the latch system it fits very well in the middle, although i would never have had the strength to install it myself to pull the strap tight enough. It's in and not going anywhere!
thanks again.

QuassEE

..You might want to take a photo of your install for us :)

Are you saying you're using LATCH in the centre? Your vehicle does not permit use of LATCH in the centre seating position, and you need to switch to a seatbelt install.

-Nicole.

canadiangie

Thanks so much for your advice. I should have posted earlier since i was actually purchasing the car seat today. But i did end up going with the Evenflo Triumph Advance.
I asked the employee in Babies r Us if the there has to be a specific degree of recline or if it's just for the comfort of my baby and she said it doesn't matter.
After installing it i thought it looked like it wasn't reclined at all and yet it was fully reclined back. I know i need to fix the level with with a blanket or something under the base so i hope that makes a huge difference as the line only looks slightly off right now, that degree of recline will definitely not work for when he's sleepy.
But as far as the install with the latch system it fits very well in the middle, although i would never have had the strength to install it myself to pull the strap tight enough. It's in and not going anywhere!
thanks again.

Oops, your vehicle doesn't allow you to use LATCH/UAS in the middle seating position. You will have to switch to a seatbelt install.

Jillian

I have an 05 Corolla too! & I know what you mean about the infant seat taking up so much front to back room. :mad:

I'm going to install the Marathon we were just given tonight & see how that works out.

I also want to buy a Complete Air and see how that works as well. I'll let you know when I do so!

Looks like our kids are around the same size, with yours being a month older and two lbs heavier.

U

Unregistered

Ok i have re-installed it using the seat belt in the middle and with a rolled up towel to level it.
It does look more reclined and he looks more comfortable in it. I think maybe because it's just so different than his infant seat is why it looks odd to me.
thanks again everyone.

QuassEE

I would highly recommend you snap some photos and post them, since if you made one error then chances are we'll be able to spot something else that should be corrected. Better to know now versus a few years from now :)

-Nicole.

armyofone

haven't had a chance to take any pics yet.
but i did decide to switch the car seat from the middle to the passenger side so i could use the latches.
i just couldn't manage to get the seat belt tight enough WITHOUT having the shoulder strap pushing the seat on an angle from the tension.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC