Infant Car Seats

prmommy

I'm helping my GF pick out an infant car seat and I'm totally lost. I've been completely happy with my GracoSnugride purchased 5 years ago and used for 2 kids.

What's your recommendation for lightest, "safest" (i know they are all safe), easiest to use? She's not the type to use the car seat for ever so I imagine that a high weight capacity is not essential.

One more question - did Britax change the Chaperone for 2011? We were looking at that one and someone mentioned that they had recently changed it so make sure we were purchasing the most recent.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm helping my GF pick out an infant car seat and I'm totally lost. I've been completely happy with my GracoSnugride purchased 5 years ago and used for 2 kids.

What's your recommendation for lightest, "safest" (i know they are all safe), easiest to use? She's not the type to use the car seat for ever so I imagine that a high weight capacity is not essential.

One more question - did Britax change the Chaperone for 2011? We were looking at that one and someone mentioned that they had recently changed it so make sure we were purchasing the most recent.

Our sponsor, www.babycatalog.com, show that the "2010" model has some different colors from the other model. They also indicate a 32 pound weight rating for the other listed model. The price seems to be the same.

This isn't official information, only what appears at the retailer's site. It could be a misprint or mistake, too. I am trying to confirm if there are any other changes.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
As for recommendations, typically here you'll see the Chicco KeyFit, Graco Snugride35, or Safety 1st OnBoard 35.

If she doesn't want the high-weight capacity, the Dorel Designer 22 seats or Graco Snugride22 or Baby Trend Flex Loc.

Just make sure whatever you get is a front-adjust and be aware that the Baby Trend requires the handle to be down when in the car.

Oh, and stay away from the Evenflo infant seats! No one here (or anywhere that I know of) likes them. They make great convertibles though.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Chaperone is a great infant seat, too, if the price tag isn't an issue. Like the onBoard 35 Air and the Keyfit 30, it fits preemies and small newborns better than most other infant seats. It also has a nice anti-rebound bar. On the downside, the long base can pose installation issues in some vehicles.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Our sponsor, www.babycatalog.com, show that the "2010" model has some different colors from the other model. They also indicate a 32 pound weight rating for the other listed model. The price seems to be the same.

This isn't official information, only what appears at the retailer's site. It could be a misprint or mistake, too. I am trying to confirm if there are any other changes.

It appears that only fabric changes are currently shipping on the "2010" Chaperone. There could be more news about future revisions at ABC Kids next month.

aeormsby

I really like the Onboards. I had a Snugride also for my kids and liked it but would get the Onboard without a 2nd thought if I needed an infant seat again. I helped my sister install hers and it was very easy (and she had the basic base).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The onBoard models that have 4 pound minimum weight ratings are particularly nice, as they generally have a much better fit for small infants and come with the deluxe base that is much easier to use. Some of the budget models have 5 pound minimum weight ratings and lack some of these features.

prmommy

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I have forwarded them to my friend.

I called Britax to inquire about the change and it turns out there was a slight modification to the base of the car seat. Anything manufactured after June 2010 has the new base. This is considered a running change and therefore no difference in item number.

From the website:
Stroller Compatible Design works with Britax Chaperone strollers and other major stroller brands when used with Britax adapter strap (Notice: if you have a Britax Chaperone infant carrier manufactured on or before May 27, 2009, you may obtain an adapter strap free of charge; please call our Consumer Services department for more information 1-888-427-4829)

Last edited:

Pixels

June 2011? That's 9 months from now. Anyone who already knows they are pg isn't going to be able to wait for that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC