How to carpool with kids of different ages?

bigteamug

I'm thinking there probably isn't any wonderful, cunning solution to make this easy, but I thought I'd check in just in case.

We have an '05 Prius (only car, and we have no plans to replace it anytime soon), DD1 (nearly 8, about 48", 45 lbs, long torso) and in a Vivo, DD2(3.5, about 36", 25 lbs, also long torso) currently in a FF Blvd, though up to recently she was in a RF Radian XT which I would love to go back to with that weight.

We are going to try to carpool with another preschooler who is 3, about DD2's height (will get more info, but heavier, I am quite sure), and rides FF in a Blvd in her parents' car.

I have: one Radian 65, one Radian XT, one Blvd, one Vivo, one Literider and one small RSTV. Is there some easy way that I can get three across in such a way that I could occassionally give one of DD2's friends a ride WITHOUT taking out the two harnessed seats? I'm not completely opposed to buying another seat to make this work, but buying a minivan is out....

Getting the Radian and the Blvd installed for the little girls is so stinky (I'm about to go out and try AGAIN to get the Radian installed tight enough to use, even FF in a 3 across - I don't see being able to do RF with a belt myself) that I am reluctant to take anything out whenever the carpool needs change.

I suppose, that in theory, I could put a booster in the front seat, but I am more than a little leary of putting an 8 year old in the front, HBB or no. I could try, but doubt that there is room for, say, a Frontier in the mix (and theoretically using it as a booster with the harness still in it - not sure if this is ok at all, even for a short ride). As it is, with the Radian, Blvd and Vivo in there, I am doing the booster "scoot-out to the side, buckle, and slide back before tightening the belt" thing with DD1. I am also pretty sure that the other preschooler's mom would not be ok with everyday use of the RSTV for her kid - and DD2 is still way too light.

Any solutions to the conundrum?

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Does your 8yo fit in the RSTV?

If she does, and you don't mind switching seats out, I think I would try the daycare girl outboard in a BLVD, LATCH install, your younger DD outboard, RF Radian, LATCH install, and your older DD center in the RSTV. When you just have your girls, pop out the Boulevard, and put the Vivo in.

Is that more hassle than you want?

bigteamug

I only tried to install the radian RF briefly - if I can't even get the FF tight with a belt, RF with a belt would be even worse. And DD's friends are mostly too tall for the radians, I suspect. The age ranges involved would mean removing one of the radians, either to rethread the harness (if the friend could even fit torso-wise), or to put in a booster - I just don't want to have to re-do a stinky installation all the time. Increases the chance of user error, not to mention scraped knuckles.....

I do have a PM in to my local tech to get help with installations, just seeing if there is some way to easily switch between carpooling a 3 year and an 8 yr old....:shrug-shoulders:

I can give the RSTV in the center a try (though DD will not be thrilled), though I honestly don't know if there will be room for her shoulder, esp if I use latch. Thinking about it, when I had DD2's radian in with latch and the vivo outboard, even that was a tight squeeze...ermh.

Is there some kind of a frontier (FF to booster) that is narrow for skinny kids/small cars?

bigteamug

Whew! I did manage to get the Radian XT in solidly with the belt FF in the center. If carpooling with my friend doesn't work out (and therefore frees up the radian 65), I will try and see if DD's BF fits in the 65 FF - she is also almost 8, but much shorter in the torso that DD. I don't think it is too likely, but I can give it a try. I could then put that in the middle and RF DD2 next to it on the driver's side.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
If the carpooling friend meets the requirements for the small RSTV I'd:

Both of your kids outboard in their every day seats and the carpooling friend center with the small RSTV.

bigteamug

I can ask, but I know that she feel strongly about her girl riding in a blvd, as she feels that it is the safest seat. Once she takes one look at that vest, I am almost positive that she will veto it based on the looks.

soygurl

Could you email her the links for the RSTV crash test videos? They're very convincing IIRC...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC