I'm an oobr loser

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Sigh.

DS and I had wanted a Skurvy oobr for so long. I bought one from a mama on here a while back and finally got around to using it today... And it was awful! :(

The main problem was with the seatbelts in our truck. They're set far back toward the bight and have no buckle stalk. That makes it really hard for DS to buckle (or for us to buckle him, for that matter). He had finally gotten used to buckling the Monterey, but the oobr was impossible for him.

In fact, DH helped him with it and commented, "Well, at least we know it won't UNbuckle!" When I went to check it, the belt wasn't even clicked in all the way! :eek: It just looked/felt like it was. Hard to explain, but trust me.

Then the seat of the oobr looked really, really shallow for DS. He just turned 6 but he's tall for his age. He looked like he was sliding out of the seat. I was surprised by that because cleks are supposed to be so good for leg support. He didn't complain, but he looked like he was going to slide off the Teflon seat at any second.

The lap belt also seemed a little higher than I would have liked, and something about the belt guide on the oobr made the shoulder belt look like it was coming in at a weird angle. It fit fine, but it seemed like it was almost bending the belt.

I HAD tried the oobr in the truck once before at a store, and it seemed fine then. But that was more of a hurried, yep-seems-to-work deal. In practice, there's no way it'll work for us, in the truck at least.

I'm going to see if it works better in our Pilot. If it does, we'll keep it for a few months. I really hope it does, for DS's sake (and mine :whistle:)

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
As an aside, this is a prime example of how the IIHS rankings should be taken with a big grain of salt. While the oobr might be a "best bet" for the "average" 6-year-old in a few particular cars, for MY 6-year-old in MY car, it was not good at all.

(I don't mean that to sound like a complaint about clek nor IIHS, really, just an example of how many variables there are in real life.)

Morganthe

As an aside, this is a prime example of how the IIHS rankings should be taken with a big grain of salt. While the oobr might be a "best bet" for the "average" 6-year-old in a few particular cars, for MY 6-year-old in MY car, it was not good at all.

(I don't mean that to sound like a complaint about clek nor IIHS, really, just an example of how many variables there are in real life.)

Awwww, don't feel badly. I found out that the Monterey is in the middle of the meh ratings for fit and use. Oh my, I'm using not-the-best or whatever... not really sure what it all means at times. :dizzy:
But for me, it's been an absolutely awesome seat :love: that has suited my vehicle situations and every kid I've ever put in it. :shrug-shoulders:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yep, we're back to the Monterey in the truck. I had already liked it, and I now have a newfound appreciation for it!

I do hope the oobr works in our other car. Just installing it without DS there, it seemed to fit that car so much better. Plus we have long buckle stalks in that one.

But clearly there's not an easy one-size-fits-all answer. (Except maybe the Monterey. And possibly the Turbo. :p)

Morganthe

I really have no clue why the Monterey scored so middling. It's a mystery :scratcheshead: It's not perfect, no seat is. But it really is an excellent seat and easy to install. I love the fact that I can use the Lower Anchors and that seat remains in place no matter what's done with the seatbelt.

Heck, the backless section managed to fit the crazy 2010 Impala rear seat re-design even though it was a PITA to buckle and unbuckle with the very tight connections thanks to Chevy. :rolleyes:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The short seat is such a huge turn-off for me with the Oobr. I'd have sold lots of stuff to get ds Skurvy, but when I saw how shallow that seat was I was disappointed. I'm still very, very happy with the Monterey. If the Probooster had a deeper seat we'd have a Monterey and Probooster, but Clek and Recaro need to get on board with deeper seats!!!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter (8yo, 50", somewhat leggy) did not like the Oobr when I sat her in it -- she said it was too short in the seat. She says the same about the Vivo.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
. I was surprised by that because cleks are supposed to be so good for leg support

Welll...uh...THEY claim they prevent numb bum, everyone else in the world wonders why they are so shallow, and finds their kids putting their feet up on the vehicle seat after any amount of time to get some kind of leg support :p

They really oughta deepen their seats, or crank out an aftermarket footrest, yeah?

I do hope it works in your car, it IS super cute :thumbsup:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I remember some people raving about the leg support, but maybe that was on the backless. Are those deeper? Not that that does me any good either, but I'm curious.

Morganthe

You guys are making me feel better and better that I went with a 2nd Monterey to send to my mom's this past summer for our visit. :D I really wanted a Clek. :eek: But that short seat depth would have been a real negative for dd. Lots of leg support for her in the Monterey. She was so comfy in backless mode that she didn't complain too much about missing her Regent.

So Thanks... even though it's months after the fact. :p :D :thumbsup:

glockchick

For us, the Clek is more comfy because it's got foam under that cover instead of hard plastic. The hard plastic in the TB and such would cut off circulation to dangly legs, but my son is find in the Olli. At least, I think that's the reason. ;)

jubgulia

Well, some people do have shorter femurs. I'm glad they're not all so deep. It's gonna be a good thing for us. :twocents:

Kat_Momof3

I agree... I don't know where we would be without Recaro... the Vivo is the best booster for Ruthie... she just has short legs, especially her femurs... and with her intoeing, it is more comfortable for her when she can rest her heels on the edge of the vehicle seat and have her knees bent more sharply

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC