An issue with my seatbelt

karlatta

Something is wrong with the seatbelt on one of my captain's chairs.

I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The seat belt on the passenger side captain's chair seems to be twisted. It lays flat across the lap, but at the shoulder, it makes one half twist when it's buckled. You can see a sort of crease in the seat belt where it looks like it used to be twisted the other (correct) way. The seatbelt attaches directly to the removable seat in my vehicle.

I'm assuming this isn't safe, but I don't know what to do about it. Right now, that seatbelt isn't in use. (The seat is normally not even in the car, and when it is, it gets a LATCHed car seat.) We will eventually need to use this seating position with a seatbelt. Either a boostered child or a child exceeding LATCH weight limits.

If I need to take it in, any idea how much this will cost? I think it's been this way since we owned the car (since we've never actually used the seatbelt), but we bought the car used more than a year ago.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
There's three possible ways those seatbelts twist. Can you snap a photo of the twist, and the belt to the retractor?

-Nicole.

karlatta

Here's the seatbelt unbuckled.
032rj.jpg

And I put a toy into the seat to show that the lapbelt lays across the lap flat, but twists up near the retractor when buckled.
034ck.jpg

Pixels

Try pulling all of the belt out of the retractor. The other half of that twist might be in the retractor.

You can safely install a harnessed seat with a twisted seatbelt.

karlatta

Try pulling all of the belt out of the retractor. The other half of that twist might be in the retractor.

You can safely install a harnessed seat with a twisted seatbelt.
I've pulled to no avail.

So a harnessed seat is okay. What about a booster or adult passenger? An adult passenger is probably the most likely scenario right now.

karlatta

Okay, I went out and messed around with the belt a bit more. I was able to feed the twist back in to the retractor and it straightened itself out. The belt now pulls in and out much more easily, so it looks like it was twisted in the retractor. Thanks!

Pixels

Not ideal, especially if the passenger is large. If the twist is not contacting the body, and the passenger is not very heavy, I think it's acceptable but not great.

You don't want the twist being on the body, because that creates an area where all the pressure is concentrated instead of spread out. Also, twisting the belt weakens it, which is why the lighter the passenger, the better.

If you can avoid putting an adult there, avoid it.

carmaven

Not ideal, especially if the passenger is large. If the twist is not contacting the body, and the passenger is not very heavy, I think it's acceptable but not great.

You don't want the twist being on the body, because that creates an area where all the pressure is concentrated instead of spread out. Also, twisting the belt weakens it, which is why the lighter the passenger, the better.

If you can avoid putting an adult there, avoid it.

I did not know that twisting weakens the belt! I just thought it was annoying ;). Some of my seat belts in the back of the minivan have been twisted over the years -- I will make sure to get these checked the next time I have a tune up to avoid any accidents. Thanks for the information!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC