30 weeks pg and stuck on the infant seat decision. Help!

keri1292

I need someone to help me make up my mind between a higher weight bucket or a 22lb-er. DH has no opinion (beside cost, since he is still unemployed ~ Bye bye KF) and I just want to get our bucket so I am ready for baby. No convertibles because A. It's freezing in Upstate NY and B. I have two MA's that the boys will be outgrowing that I plan to move baby into.
My babies are little and last until about 9 months in their snugrides. That would put this baby into August 2011. Quinn is 6yo and STILL not 35lbs, so the weight restriction is of no concern. They would be 22lbs around 18months. Is there a tall shelled 22lb seat that may get us through another winter if we choose to lug kiddo around in it?
I found a Combi Shuttle for about $80, a Safe Seat for $110, I don't want a Flex Loc because of the handle down rule...
Ugh. I hate having a budget. :eek:

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I believe the OnBoard is very tall - even the 22 lb version. I think they're all front adjust, too. Things like lock-off and infant insert depend on trim level.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd do the OnBoard, if you have small babies-- it tends to fit small ones well, and will last a long time if you decide to use it that long (or to use through next winter!) but can be found cheap-ish usually and is not as bad to carry around as some of the other big buckets.

keri1292

Does the OnBoard have EPS foam? And handle can be up, correct?

Found this one... [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-onBoard-Infant-Regal/dp/B00313JBAI"]Amazon.com: Safety 1st onBoard 35 Infant Car Seat, Regal: Baby[/ame] which apparently isn't the deluxe base with lockoffs, but I'll be using LATCH or locking lapbelts anyway.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, handle in any locked position, and I believe it does have EPP foam (Dorel uses EPP, not EPS.)

The non-deluxe base doesn't have the lockoff but as you say that's not a deal-breaker for me either, and it also has a funky recline-- it's only 2 positions, either on or off. But, if that doesn't give you the right angle you can always just leave it off and use a pool noodle-- you often need that with the Graco seats as well anyway so again, for ME, not a deal-breaker.

The one rated from 5 lbs., the harness doesn't go quite as small, and there are no extra support cushions, but that shouldn't be a problem if you don't have SUPER teeny babies.

keri1292

The one rated from 5 lbs., the harness doesn't go quite as small, and there are no extra support cushions, but that shouldn't be a problem if you don't have SUPER teeny babies.

Nope, no teeny n00bs here. I birth 8.5lb-ers. They're just short torsoed, slow gainers. I have a 2006 T&C with the freaky slanted Stow & Go seats, so I expect to use a noodle anyway. Hmm...ordering a bucket I've never seen, touched or installed. But, it's cheap and gender neutral. :thumbsup:

mom2juliarose

You sound like me! I'm not loving any of my options on a budget (and also I admit to waffling on a higher-weight seat due to wanting to fit an adult if necessary in the back of my CR-V with DD in her Radian and the baby in a bucket). I looked at the OnBoard in-store at Target today and was really impressed... but I think in the end we'll go with a SR22 just because we have 2 seats "waiting in the wings" for this baby (one of which is currently already in storage). Now just to decide if I should go with the rear-adjust (had one with DD, survived it just fine) that I like that is $72 at K-Mart this week, or go with the front-adjust that I can get at the BRU trade-in event this week for $82.50 if I trade something in. I'm more a fan of the rear-adjust cover, but the ease of the front-adjust for DH has me leaning toward it...

Anyway, sorry to steal your thread! If you have the room for it, I'd definitely consider the OnBoard. I liked it A LOT... just afraid wedging an adult in with it and DD in a seat would be too difficult.

mom2juliarose

Nope, no teeny n00bs here. I birth 8.5lb-ers. They're just short torsoed, slow gainers. I have a 2006 T&C with the freaky slanted Stow & Go seats, so I expect to use a noodle anyway. Hmm...ordering a bucket I've never seen, touched or installed. But, it's cheap and gender neutral. :thumbsup:

I believe the same version (different pattern) is also in-store at Target if you want to see one in person!

mamajava

Senior Community Member
Thats the seat we bought for the twins. I love it. Its easy to carry and has so many features for tiny babies. And its not very heavy either. I am just trying to find a showercap cover to fit over it for winter...thats the only problem I am finding with it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have to say I LOVE the pattern at Target. So cute.

And if you have freaky-slanted seats, the base may actually work for you-- the "on" position is super high, lol.

keri1292

Thats the seat we bought for the twins. I love it. Its easy to carry and has so many features for tiny babies. And its not very heavy either. I am just trying to find a showercap cover to fit over it for winter...thats the only problem I am finding with it.

Gah! I forgot about the cover. That's a deal breaker for me since we have daily snowfall here. Well, poo. I'm surprised no one has made a cover for all the higher weight infant seats that are out now. :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are plenty that fit the taller buckets. You just won't find them in-store-- you have to buy online. I know several families with OnBoards and SR35s that have shower-cap covers that fit. :)

mamajava

Senior Community Member
Gah! I forgot about the cover. That's a deal breaker for me since we have daily snowfall here. Well, poo. I'm surprised no one has made a cover for all the higher weight infant seats that are out now. :(

Yea, its a problem here in ND too. I tried on the one that Walmart carrys, and it was to short by like 3-4 inches. So, I found a lady on Etsy that makes them and she is going to check if it fits before I buy it. And its the same price as the Walmart ones, but way cuter.

Theres a picture of a preemie in the seat in the preggo section. He was 3 weeks old, but was 6 weeks early. He was discharged at 6lbs 4ozs. I will find it and link it here after dinner.

keri1292

There are plenty that fit the taller buckets. You just won't find them in-store-- you have to buy online. I know several families with OnBoards and SR35s that have shower-cap covers that fit. :)

This is cute too, but not much cheaper than the 35.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Seat-Cover-Khaki/dp/B003ZUXQXU"]This[/ame] cover looks pretty large. WDYT?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That cover says it fits the snugride (I am assuming 22) perfectly so I don't think it would fit.

The Designer/Starter, has a really hard to adjust harness. Like, I'm a tech, and when I have to do it, it takes me up to half an hour even though I KNOW how to do it sometimes, just because it is physically difficult. It's a VERY short shell, so it would only get you through one winter. It does fit small babies well.

This is one cover I know a few families who use with larger infant seats. I'm looking into what the other ones use for you right now. :) This one says it fits the Graco SnugRide 32, so it should also fit the 35, and the OnBoard is only about one inch taller than the SR 32/35 in the shell. It says the only seat it does not fit is the Shuttle 33 (I would assume because of the headrest that goes above the shell on that one.) I'll look into the others they use and let you know if I find them.

If on a tight budget, I also found instructions to make your own.

cookie123

How about this one?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038YY6IW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002TZA536&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0890HEDM6M76MX25V2W4"]Amazon.com: Safety 1st onBoard 35 Infant Car Seat, Proton: Baby[/ame]

Someone had it at work, but it was 109 then. It seemed pretty nice.

sb518

I have a Zarafa SR sitting storage. :whistle: No but seriously - you can't go wrong with the snugride22. The onboards feel too cheap to me, I'd never use one - the bases remind me of those horrid Eddie Bauer buckets - the ones with the big circle handle that twisted around.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC