5pt harness Car Seat Booster recommendations please

shirada

Hi, I am new to the boards. I am seriously going insane trying to figure out the best way for my kids top travel safely since I just read how 5pt harness is far safer than bph booster seats. Maybe you professionals could help me out.

Oldest DD is almost 7yrs old, 48.5" tall, weighs 50lbs and her shoulder height is 17"

Second DD is exactly 5yrs, 40" tall, weighs 34lbs, (petite for her age) with a shoulder height of 13.5", (she has just outgrown her FF Roundabout by height).

Something to keep in mind is that I also have a 3rd child who is 2yrs old and 25lbs riding RF in a Roundabout.

Questions I have are:

Is worth purchasing the Regent for oldest DD given her height, (how much longer would she actually have in the Regent?)? Or should she continue using the Graco Turbobooster with back.

If I do purchase a Regent for the oldest DD, and she is in in for maybe one more year, should I buy/is it worth buying second DD a Regent too given that she would inherit the first one pretty soon. If not, which 5 pt harness seat should I get her that would last long?

Given that I have a third child who will most likely be in his Roundabout for a couple more years, what should I do?

Our main car is a Dodge Grancaravan and we also have a Chevy Siverado Pick up truck.

Thanks for listening. Please help me, since right now the Graco Turbo Booster seats are looking real flimsy to me, plus I am starting to have fitfull nights sleep dreaming about carseats!

ADS

scatterbunny

At your oldest's age and size, she really is safe in a booster; but IMO harnessing is always safer. ;) :p Since you do have younger kids to pass seats down to, I don't think it would be a waste at all to get a Regent for your oldest. My daughter is the same size as your oldest, and you can see how she fits the Regent (the blue Husky in my signature is the same seat, different name). She's still a smidge below the second-to-top slots, and she's almost 6. I expect to get at least 2 more years out of this seat, probably closer to 3.

I would get the 5yo an Evenflo Bolero or Generations, or a Graco CarGo, or a Cosco/Safety 1st Apex. All have tall top slots (Apex has the tallest), the Evenflo and Graco have 40 pound harnessed weight limits, the Apex has a 65 pound harnessed weight limit. The Apex requires high vehicle seatbacks or headrests for safety. The Graco CarGo and some versions of the Apex have energy absorbing foam (EPS or EPP). The Evenflo Bolero and Generations and Cosco/Safety 1st Apex convert to good long-term highback boosters because they adjust taller in booster mode; the CarGo does convert to a booster but does not adjust taller and has closed belt guides so does not make a great long-term booster, just a good harnessed seat.

When your oldest outgrows the Regent or when the second child outgrows the Bolero/Generations/CarGo/Apex move the second child to the Regent. That should be 2ish years from now, maybe even 3ish years if you go with an Apex for the second child now. And if you choose a Bolero/Generations/Apex, the oldest could move into that as a booster when she outgrows the Regent, or when the second child outgrows her seat.

In 2-3 years the third child should be outgrowing the Roundabout, and ready to either move into the second child's outgrown seat (if the oldest isn't using it as a booster) or get a new seat.

What year is your Caravan? Is the Silverado a crew cab/extended cab? Does it have headrests? How often do the kids ride in the Silverado?

arly1983

Well, lets look at as how long you want to harness. If your DD#1 is just now at 17 inches she will very likely be in the Regent till she is 11. I say this because my 11 yr old girl cousin could still go in the regent by height and weight. So here is how I would do it. If you are for harnessing for as long as possible, go regents for DD#1 and #2 and plan to get a marathon for #3. and then pass the carseats down as needed.
If you want the DD#1 in a regent for just a couple more years till your more comfortable, I would do regent for DD#1, then Marathon for your short-torsed 5 year old (wow, my 2 yr old has a 16" torso). Then you can pass down carseats as needed, getting a parkway for DD#1 when you need it.
If you can get a radian to fit in your grandcaravan and pickup then it would give DD#2 about 1.5 more growing room. I have had an interesting time with the radian, in some cars it is great, in others no go. Thats the great thing about Britax seats, it will most likely fit.

shirada

Thank you for your informative replies. The Chevy Silverado is 2002 and has a crew cab, and they don't ride in it too often except on 2 week camping trips, and the Dodge Grand Caravan is a 2000 model, (no LATCH for us - have never even seen LATCH before!).

Incidentally, I put DD#2 back in her Roundabout today, after reading that height limit is flexible. Despite her being 41", and therefore taller than the 40" height limit, the tips of her ears have not yet reached the shell, and she still has an inch or two before her shoulders reach the top slots. I felt such relief seeingher harnessed back there as opposed to the high backed Graco booster. Is that okay, (just doulbe checking). Of course she still will need something pretty soon.

I researched the 5pt harness seats that you recommended for DD2. I liked the idea of the Apex, (have yet to see and try it out), but I also read reveiws saying it was flimsy. I am concerned that after using Roundabouts for a few years I am spoiled by the solidness of the Britax seats. Heck, maybe I should just get 2 Regents for the girls. What about the Radian? Another consideration, is what does one do on school trips? In our area parents drive the kids on field trips and it would not be feasible to have the girls take their Regents to school that day. I guess I would have to get high backed booster seats for those trips which could also be used in the Silverado on occasion.

How would 2 Regents fit in the bench seat of the Grand Caravan do you think? And would 2 Regents with the Roundabout RF in between them fit in the Silverado for our long range camping trips?

Boy, am I confused.

shirada

I posted last night but have not seen my message appear. Not quite sure why since I am already registered. I hope I won't be repeating myself. Here goes again.

Firstly, thank you for your replies.

Our Chevy truck is a crew cab with headrests and a 2002 model. The kids don't travel too much in the truck, except on our long range camping trips. The Grand Caravan is 2000, (no LATCH for us).

I did research your suggestions. I liked the Apex the best but then read reviews saying they were flimsy. I am concerned that after being a Roundabout user for many years that I have been spoiled by the solid quality of the Britax seats. So, I was thinking of perhaps getting a Regent for each DD. Would they fit on the bench seat with space in between Would they fit in the truck with a RF raoundabout between them? Also what do you all do for school trips? Our kids travel in parents cars for field trips and have to carry their seats into school. Should I use a Apex for those times and as a second seat for the truck? Is the highbacked Graco booster seat a safe booster?

Incidentally I put my second DD back in her Roundabout yesterday after reading this site. She is 41" but a couple of inches below the top shoulder straps and the tips of her ears do not yet reach the top of the shell, (but will do so soon). I must say it was quite a relief to see her sitting back there harnessed as opposed to sitting in the high back booster.

Thanks

scatterbunny

The Apex IS somewhat flimsy at the top/headrest compared to a Britax. It's big (about the same size as a Regent), too, with less harnessing capabilities, but it does become a booster, which the Regent does not. My dd is too tall for an Apex, but has 2-3 years in a Regent. Still, the Apex is a good choice for your 5yo, as long as the seating position she'll be using it in has headrests (because of the flimsy headrest on the Apex, it requires high vehicle seatbacks to provide the child with head support in a crash).

I won't discourage you from buying two Regents, though. :p If both the 7yo and 5yo went into Regents, the 7yo should be outgrowing the Regent when the 2yo is about 4-5, and you could them move the oldest into a booster and move the youngest into the oldest's Regent, keeping the middle child where she is.

Going that route allows you to to harness all of the kids to age 8-10, only buying two new harnessed seats (unless the 2yo outgrows the Roundabout before the oldest is ready to vacate her Regent, then you'd need an interim seat for the 2yo, or to move the oldest to a booster).

For school trips and the random time they ride with others, I think boosters are fine for the 7yo and 5yo, and TurboBoosters are good boosters. The only other ones I would consider are the Britax Parkway, Britax Monarch, Compass B510 and Evenflo Confidence. Your 5yo IS fairly small, though, and if you feel more comfortable with her in a harnessed seat in secondary vehicles, an inexpensive Evenflo Vision or Graco CarGo will work well.

I am almost positive two Regents will fit side-by-side in your Caravan middle bench (that's what you're asking, right?), but not sure if two Regents plus a Roundabout will fit in the truck. Hopefully someone else will come along with experience in a truck, but if not, maybe start another thread specifically about fitting these seats into that vehicle. ;)

shirada

I cannot find any information on the Evenflo Vision that you mentioned on the Evenflo website. Is it called something different, because the chase Booster Dylan looks like it could be the one?

Since DD is already 41" I worry that she will outgrow the 43" maximum height too soon on the Evenflo and Graco Cargo seats. But I will need another 5pt harness seat for the truck and school trips for her.

scatterbunny

Hmm, maybe they finally discontinued the Vision? It was the lowest-priced combination harness/booster that Evenflo had, but it was a good seat.

Here is the Vision at Wal-Mart: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3542155

The thing you need to keep in mind about height limits on carseats is that they are not set in stone like weight limits are. In the same way your dd is technically over the height limit of the Roundabout, but still fits heightwise because her shoulders are below the top slots and the tips of her ears are below the top of the seat shell.

The top slots on the Evenflo combination seats are 1.5+ inches higher than the top slots on the Roundabout. So if she's still a couple of inches below the top slots of the Roundabout, she should have 3.5+ inches in one of the Evenflo combo seats (or one of the Graco combos).

shirada

Oops, I re-read what I wrote about the Roundabout, and wasn't sure if I was clear. Actually DD is using the top slots now, although there is still maybe an inch more till she outgrows it.

:sorry!: I hope I am not driving you nuts with all my questions. I plan on trying seats out tomorrow so I will physically see how much growing room she will have in each of them.

scatterbunny

Even with only an inch to go in the Roundabout, that's a LONG time. :) An inch of torso growth should USUALLY take about a year, maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more.

In over 3 years and over 10 inches of total height growth, my dd's torso has only grown 2.5 to 3 inches. She outgrew her Alpha Omega by height at 2.5, would have been too tall for a Roundabout at not quite 3 or shortly thereafter, but would have fit heightwise in any of the combo seats I mentioned until about her 5th birthday.

Don't worry about driving me nuts; this is honestly what I live for. :eek: :p I've learned as much as I could over the last 3+ years, ever since I came here looking for advice about my 2.5yo who was outgrowing her convertible seat by height, but not weight, and who was big for her age. The people here are just awesome, and I learned so much that I got certified as a carseat tech a couple weeks ago. I LOVE helping people with this stuff, all of us here do! So don't worry about asking too many questions--not possible!

shirada

:thanx!: Well, since you gave me the go ahead :scratcheshead: I do happen to have another question :) .

Do you think a Marathon would work for DD#2 as a second seat, (or maybe instead of the Regent), and then I can pass that down to my 2 year old when he outgrows his Roundabout, which will get me more value for my money. I guess if it is a heavy seat then maybe that would not work in Kindergarten field trips.

In summary, as a second 5 pt harnessed seat you recommend Evenflo Bolero/ Generations/Vision, (Chase?), Graco CarGo and the Apex.

scatterbunny

A Marathon would work, definitely, for about as long as the Evenflo or Graco; the Apex will last slightly longer. I just think the Marathon is a bit pricey for a second seat, especially when you won't be utilizing the rear-facing capacity of it. :)

Any of the ones mentioned can be handed down to the 2yo when he outgrows his Roundabout.

There really are lots of options when you get right down to it, and it all depends on your preference. There are just certain ones to stick with based on high top slots and in some cases higher harnessed weight limits.

Suzibeck

I have no advice for you, I like and agree with what Skatterbunny said.

But, I just wanted to comment that my almost 5 (June 10) dd is almost exactly the same size as your 5 yo. She is 41 inches and 34 lbs and she has about 1/2 inch shoulder growth in the RA. Sounds like your dd is even leggier than mine. I loved our RA and really wish the MA had the same harness adjustor. We gave our RA away recently so we are using the MA full time now.

shirada

Thanks Susan

Amazing to think there is another child as petite as mine :)

What do you plan on getting her when she outgrows her MA? I am off to the stores today to try out all the seats. I'm still not sure about getting a Regent for my almost 7 yr old because I am concerned that she will have a growth spurt once I buy it.

shirada

We tried out the Apex 65 today and I see what people mean about the short crotch strap. On the blue one that we tried, there was another slot in front where it could be re-threaded. :)twocents: I thought at first that setting would make it looser, but now I am confused and perhaps the most forward setting would make it tighter (?) since it is further away from the body.)

Anyway, it was comfortable, but wide. We also tried the Platinum Graco CarGo, but much preferred the Evenflo Generations, (once we had gotten used to the harness adjustor) there is so much room to grow in it!!!! I still want to try the Bolero and the Ultra CarGo before we decide.

Great suggestions Scatterbunny:thumbsup:

Suzibeck

Our MA will expire two months after dd's 8th birthday. I figure, given her current growth rate, that should be about when she will outgrow it too. I would love to have a Regent for both of my younger two but dh says "No.". I will buy a Parkway for her next seat, unless something better comes along before they quit making them. I may snatch one up soon since it has recently been posted that Britax will quit making them in the next 18-24 months. I could use it for my middle who is currently in a High Back Turbo Booster. I like that seat OK, but I prefer the Parkway for the side impact protection and better side support for sleepers.

I really like the Generations seat too. I picked one up as a second seat when I gave the RA away. The tether strap was too short for us however so I returned it. I later discovered that Evenflo will send out longer tethers for free if you need one. By then, dh had decided he didn't want a seat in his car. Ugh! I really want a Recaro Young Sport but I can't justify $250 at this point.

shirada

I purchased a Regent and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Do you think this would work for my 5 yr old and her above measurements as a second seat?:

Evenflo Triumph will be re-designed and the shell will be apx. 24 inches tall. The harness will be re-designed, and the top slots will be higher. It will harness to 50#'s. You can see it on their website April 13th. It will stay the same price range.

scatterbunny

It really depends on how high the top slots are/how your dd's torso fits the top slots and how tall the shell is--it could very well be a good option!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC