HELP PLEASE! Can I use a "travel harness" (straps only) on a 3.5-year-old?

lvmchld

I'll be travelling (airplane, car) by myself with a 3.5-year-old and cannot take her car seat with me. Is there a "travel harness" out there? Just the straps, to be used with a car's belts. She's 32 lbs and 39". Thank you.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Eddie Bauer Portable is out there... but is there really no way to take her seat? What seat is it you don't think you can bring? It's really easy to throw most seats in a stroller or on a small luggage cart or gogokidz contraption or backpack straps to get through the airport, and then you'll have a seat you can use on the plane (or gate check safely) that's probably, honestly, MUCH easier to use than that deceptively beastly portable thing (looks simple, but is REALLY hard to use properly, can't be used on a plane). If she's 35 pounds at time of travel, the Ridesafer Travel Vest is a good option, and the backless Cosco High Rise/Ambassador/Auto Booster is good from 30 pounds (again, not on the plane... ). None of these is good for sleeping in, so if you are doing a lot of driving at your destination you'll wish you had your regular seat (been there, done that, my poor trying-to-sleep kids :( )

:)

LuvBug

do you think she could fit in a scenera? do you know her torso height? The scenera is pretty easy to use and only weights like 5-8lbs so it wouldnt be heavy to carry on board with you. Its also cheap($40ish).

lvmchld

She uses a Britax Regent in my car... I am NOT taking it anywhere with me. I can barely LIFT it... :( The "Ridesafer Travel Vest" sounds good, where can I get it, please? I need something very light and small, and she MUST sleep on the airplane. Last time we travelled, she CLIMBED and JUMPED ON ME for 4.5 hours! :( She almost killed me...
PLEASE tell me exactly what to get, I don't know any names of any travel seats. Her torso height is about 16". If I dress her well, she'll be 35 lbs...;)
Of course, I want her to be safe. But last time, they didn't even LET us use her car seat on the airplane; we had to check it in.
Also, is there a stroller that has one handle so that you can push it and direct it with just one hand? Of course, very light and portable, too. Thank you very much. And I don't have much time to get anything... :(

Starlight

Senior Community Member
If you are paying for a seat for her, they are *required* to allow you to use a carseat for her, provided that it is FAA approved.

You can't use a ridesafer vest - or any vest, other than the CARES one - on the plane. Additionally, the vests can't be found in stores, and are quite pricey - over $100, IIRC.

I would pop over to WM and see if she fits in the Scenera. The stroller/carseat combo isn't a good seat for an older child. A Scenera strapped to a luggage cart is your best and most economical option. And you can have her sit in it while you push.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
She uses a Britax Regent in my car... I am NOT taking it anywhere with me. I can barely LIFT it... :( The "Ridesafer Travel Vest" sounds good, where can I get it, please? I need something very light and small, and she MUST sleep on the airplane. Last time we travelled, she CLIMBED and JUMPED ON ME for 4.5 hours! :( She almost killed me...
PLEASE tell me exactly what to get, I don't know any names of any travel seats. Her torso height is about 16". If I dress her well, she'll be 35 lbs...;)
Of course, I want her to be safe. But last time, they didn't even LET us use her car seat on the airplane; we had to check it in.
Also, is there a stroller that has one handle so that you can push it and direct it with just one hand? Of course, very light and portable, too. Thank you very much. And I don't have much time to get anything... :(

Gotcha, yeah, a Regent ain't goin' on the plane for sure. It IS illegal for them to make you check a seat when you have purchased a seat, we'll find you the FAA rules or your airline rules to print out. How about an Evenflo Chase or Express or whatever the cheapest one is from Walmart/Target/Kmart for about $50... if she's 35 pounds now, it should last harnessed another year, it's super light and easy to travel with (plop it in your stroller or strap it to a wheeled carryon bag), can be used on the plane easily...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Oh yeah, and as for the stroller the Maclaren Volo is the BEST to travel with, I just took it on the plane to Lifesavers... pushes up to 55 pounds easily with one hand (well, 2 once you are getting to those limits, lol), but I can hang junk all over it and it still pushes beautifully, even through doors (the wheels don't get caught on the door jamb bumps at all, usually). I stuck my safeseat 1 in it and Leah rode along happily in it (sorry it's so durned expensive, unfortunately, but it's worth every penny)

Knittingfor4

Gosh darn I just saw a post the other day about travel vests. Someone posted a link to an Eddie Bauer 5pt harness travel seat thingy and said it had pretty good reviews for what it was. It was basically just a thin fold up fabric back and seat with a harness in a tan/brown plaid, harness to 40lbs for about $40. Anyone know this one?

LuvBug

what slot is she currently using in her regent and how far from being even with it.
If she could possibly fit in to the scenera I would definitely do it if you want her to sleep on the plane. You could install it rearfacing on the plane and buckle her in and she could sleep much better than trying to in the adult chair.

lvmchld

Thank you for all replies. I had no idea they were supposed to let us use a car seat on the plane! Of course, they made us pay for the whole ticket! Everyone knows that "adult" means "2+ years old"... :(!
All those names, I'm sorry, are they booster seats? Can I install them easily in any taxi? I can certainly go to WM or Target or Kmart or BRU; I just can't wait for weeks for something ordered online... The Maclaren Volo sounds good, who has it?
Scenera? Is that a booster seat? Evenflo Chase or Express? Light ones, that's the best for me. Thanks again for your help. :)
Please, do you have a link to those FAA rules?

LuvBug

the scenera is a convertible and only weighs 5-8lbs. It is a well recommended travel seat because of how light it is, but it has 15-15.5" top slots... so if she really has a 16" torso she probably is too big. If by chance she fits in the 2nd from bottom slots of the regent with room to grow then she would probably fit... which is why I ask what slot she is on and how far is she from being even with it?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thank you for all replies. I had no idea they were supposed to let us use a car seat on the plane! Of course, they made us pay for the whole ticket! Everyone knows that "adult" means "2+ years old"... :(!

Argh... geez....

All those names, I'm sorry, are they booster seats? Can I install them easily in any taxi? I can certainly go to WM or Target or Kmart or BRU; I just can't wait for weeks for something ordered online... The Maclaren Volo sounds good, who has it?

Chase/Express are Harnessed to 40 pounds then booster, the Cosco High Rise is a backless booster, Scenera is a convertible, Babies R Us has Volos (or any 'good' baby store), they are all light and easy to use in taxis, backless boosters are easiest, but not safest

Scenera? Is that a booster seat? Evenflo Chase or Express? Light ones, that's the best for me. Thanks again for your help. :)
Please, do you have a link to those FAA rules

www.cpsafety.com has a 'flying with children' link that has a link to the FAA rules...and...one day I'll learn how to properly quote other posts, sorry for the funky font!

lvmchld

Currently, she uses the lowest slot in the Regent, but it's already either on the level with her shoulders, or a little bit below. I should probably change it soon to the second slot from the bottom. But, I think, if the jacket and heavy sweaters are not needed soon, she might still be ok in the lowest, maybe...
Maybe that's why SHE WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE the last time we flew together... that adult seat was too big for her...? She was "lost" without her tight car seat and couldn't fall asleep? Maybe it's a great idea to put her rearfacing - but am I allowed to do that on an airplane??? I can already see them giving me a hard time about it... :( And then, I'm sure, they will not be thrilled if she starts "RUNNING" (!) on the plane, back and forth, down the aisle... :( Has anyone else had such horrible travel experiences...?
I have to look up those rules. Thanks for the link. :)
It was 16" right by her head, I think, and, as far as I remember, the other day, when I was measuring her torso, I got 13"? I guess I didn't pay attention where, exactly, I was measuring, maybe it was 13" right at the end of her shoulder.

LuvBug

Currently, she uses the lowest slot in the Regent, but it's already either on the level with her shoulders, or a little bit below. I should probably change it soon to the second slot from the bottom. But, I think, if the jacket and heavy sweaters are not needed soon, she might still be ok in the lowest, maybe...
be sure that whatever winter wear you use it is not bulky. A lightweight jacket or sweater is ok as long as it doesnt cause you to loosen the straps to buckle. The straps should fit her the same with and without the jacket/sweater without needing to adjust, if you must adjust to accomidate the jacket/sweater then it is too thick. They could compress in a crash, which is why you dont put thicker ones on under the straps.
If she is on the bottom slots then she definitely will fit the scenera. Id go to walmart, target, kmart and sit her in one just to be sure and get it. They are only $40-$50 depending where you go and its light and will be more comfortable for her.
Maybe that's why SHE WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE the last time we flew together... that adult seat was too big for her...? She was "lost" without her tight car seat and couldn't fall asleep? Maybe it's a great idea to put her rearfacing - but am I allowed to do that on an airplane??? I can already see them giving me a hard time about it... :( And then, I'm sure, they will not be thrilled if she starts "RUNNING" (!) on the plane, back and forth, down the aisle... :( Has anyone else had such horrible travel experiences...?
Probably so. I believe the only place a rearfacing seat isnt allowed is that emergency exit area... it has a name but I cant remember lol!
I have to look up those rules. Thanks for the link. :)
It was 16" right by her head, I think, and, as far as I remember, the other day, when I was measuring her torso, I got 13"? I guess I didn't pay attention where, exactly, I was measuring, maybe it was 13" right at the end of her shoulder.
to the top of her should is where you would want. If she is in the bottom slots then 13ish" is probably correct.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The shoulder height is what you want, not by her head. So she should fit in a Scenera.

If they give you hassle about the carseat, tell them you'll be happy to FF her when they show you in their manual where it says you have to. They'll go look it up, and prove themselves wrong. Easy enough. The seat has a sticker on it that says it's approved for use in a motor vehicle or aircraft, and a seat can be used as it's used in a car. Meaning the Scenera is approved RFing to 35 pounds on a plane.

You CANNOT have a bulky coat under a harness. Something like a fleece is ok, but a bulky coat adds air and space above the harness. It's like leaving it so loose you can get your fist in there. For winter time put her in a fleece and long sleeved shirt, then put her jacket over her harness, or a blanket over her, or something. She cannot wear a heavy coat in the car. Neither can you, for that matter.

Wendy

arly1983

If she has a 13 " torso, go for a $40-50 scenera from walmart. IT is the EASIEST CHEAPEST way to go and when it is all said and done you have a usable spare seat.

mamato2

I have a pretty active 5 1/2 year old who has always traveled with (in ) her car seat. She has always been very happy, comfortable and content. A few trips up and down the isle on longer flights (kids need to move for their health on planes just like adults) and she's happy as a clam.
RF will make it easier to interact with her. You might want to try it out in your car a few times though first. You don't want a melt down on the plane after the effort to get it in that way!
C.

CandCfam

Here is a link to the FAA regulations:

Flying With Children

From the Child Safety on Airplanes link on the FAA site:

The FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS or device during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.
Keep Your Little One Safe When You're in the Air.
Airplane window

Be sure the shoulder straps are properly adjusted and fasten the airplane seat belt around the CRS or device.

Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using a CRS. The FAA recommends that a child weighing:

* Less than 20 pounds use a rear-facing CRS
* From 20 to 40 pounds use a forward-facing CRS
* More than 40 pounds use an airplane seat belt
* A child may also use an alternative device, such as a a harness-type device, if it is approved by the FAA. The FAA has approved one device appropriate for children weighing between 22 and 44 pounds. This type of device is not safe for use in motor vehicles.

Starlight

Senior Community Member

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC