Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Convertible Car Seat Recommendation

It's time to upgrade to a convertible car seat for my 18-month old. He only has a few inches left in the chicco keyfit 30 which is installed rear-facing in our middle back seat. With winter weather coming, we'll need an upgrade.

We drive a 2001 Subaru Forester and it is not equipped with latch. We have another baby on the way in April 2011 and I would like to keep that baby installed in the middle seat with the keyfit 30. So - I'm looking for a convertible car seat that will install rear facing on the passenger side (we'll use it in the middle until the baby comes) next to the keyfit 30. I was hoping to get the Radian 65 but it won't fit rear-facing (without us having to hike our front seat to the very front of the car, thus no leg room) and I'm not comfortable turning him forward facing yet... as much as I like that seat.

I'm looking for a seat that has a slim base that will install next to a keyfit 30. Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the Maxi-Cosi Priori.
    Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Convertible Car Seat Recommendation

Bumping this up in hopes that someone with a 2001 Forester might have some options.

Here is a post showing a number of seats installed in the 2001 Subaru Outback.
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=114090
    Maybe looking through that post will give you an idea of how well seats in a 3-across situation.
    Katy

I would look at the Complete Air It installs much more upright than a Radian, rf to 40lbs. and is narrow enough where hopefully you'll be able to keep your Keyfit in the middle.
    I would skip the Priori because of the short shell and only having a 35lb. rf limit.
    DD1 10.5y/o seatbelt
    DD2 8y/o 45" 52lbs. backless
    DS 7y/o 51" 58lbs. ProBooster or backless

Unregistered

thank you for responding and for linking me to that post. it is helpful... i was surprised to see a RF Radian on the passenger side. I'm curious if anyone can fit in the front passenger side!

do you have any thoughts on the maxi - cosi priori? I've seen such mixed reviews on here, but it does seem like it's fit in some other foresters really well on this site. The only problem is figuring out if the keyfit 30 can be installed next to it.

The Radian is completely incompatible with that generation Forester RFing. The front seat won't lock into an upright position, which is not safe, even if the seat is unoccupied.

I've done a three across in that vehicle (all FFing), and honestly I don't know that there is a way to put two RFing seats side by side. You may have to put both children outboard.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Unregistered

thanks firemom. I didn't see your post when I responded to the first reply. I will look into the complete air.