New Car Choices

gsdguenter

We are finally getting rid of my junkbox (2000 Passat that is falling apart and always breaking) and for the first time ever, getting a brand new car.

Here's the deal, we want to spend less than 15,000 and it needs to fit 2 seats rfing in it. One of them has to be a RN and the other is either a MA or MR. I'm 5'5 and my husband is 6'1. It will be my primary car though so Ill be the driver.

This is what we have researched so far.

1. Hyundai Elantra (there is a deal going on now that we can get a 2010 for 15,000)

2. Hyundai Accent

3. Kia Soul

4. Chevy Aveo

Any other ideas, or ones to stay away from? Thanks! I'm sooooo excited and hope this works out with financing and getting rid of my "luxurious" piece of crap :rolleyes:

ADS

brightredmtn

When I was car shopping a couple of years ago I was very close to getting a new Hyundai Sonata for under $15K. I'd really try to push for that car at the dealership. It is huge and the new design looks really nice!

cookie123

Around here you can get a Mazda5 with 25000ish miles on it a year or two old in the under 15,000 range. It gets good mileage, too!

ca2003

Around here you can get a Mazda5 with 25000ish miles on it a year or two old in the under 15,000 range. It gets good mileage, too!

I was thinking along the same lines as the PP that maybe you should look at some used cars that are only 1-2 years old. I just saw it mentioned in another thread recently that Kia's don't hold their resale value so I don't think that is a vehicle I would want to get brand new.

According to Edmunds the TMV of almost all trims of the 2009 Kia Optima (I know you did not mention this car but it is a little larger than the other cars you mentioned and might be closer to the size your current car is) is less than 15K, I am not sure how that compares to the price you would see at a dealership.

I also know buying new you sometimes get special financing options (depending on the dealership) and the warranty but I would still consider looking at some used vehicles.

gsdguenter

yeah, we will look into some used (1-2) yrs. old cars as well. I suppose it is just where we can get the best deal with financing. We are definitely going to finance and would REALLY like a warranty (or a car that doesn't break every week) :rolleyes:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Kia Forte?
Mazda 3?
Nissan Versa?
Toyota Yaris?
Suzuki SX4?
Ford Focus (this is right AT $15k)
Jeep Compass (")
Jeep Patriot (")
Nissan Sentra (")
VW Golf (16k base)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Another vote for the Mazda 5. If you get one used it should be easy to find one under 15K.

Here's the thing, though - are you fitting ONLY two carseats in it, or two carseats plus a teenager? Just checking - because the third row seats in the Mazda 5 can be a pain!

If it's just the two kids in RF seats, though, I think you'd like it. It drives like a car, including a nice tight turn radius, but with the 3rd folded down you've got a lot of room back there. Plenty of room for any seat you want to put in the 2nd row, and easy installs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC