just curious

pj2rc

since booster seats only booster and position, don't actually hold th kids in, te car seat belt does that .....are expired booster seats "as bad" ... no that I would do it or recommend it ... just a random question I had. ie -- would that fall under parental choice o would it still be a fail.

ADS

ca2003

I don't know that they are "as bad" as an expired car seat but I would definitely have concerns using them. I would fear in an accident an expired high back booster would break from force more than a non-expired one. I would be worried the head wing area would crack and the child's head could hit a rough edge.

pj2rc

I don't know that they are "as bad" as an expired car seat but I would definitely have concerns using them. I would fear in an accident an expired high back booster would break from force more than a non-expired one. I would be worried the head wing area would crack and the child's head could hit a rough edge.

those are basically the exact same thoughts I had. Just curious. I wouldn't do it .. but wondered if your were "picking your battles" with other people ... if this was horrible ... or worth passing on --- as opposed to a harnessed seat that is acualy holding the kid in and if if fails, could be very bad.

Aurezalia

The armrests on most boosters provide act as artificial hips for the kids and need to be able to take those forces. This is the same reason we stress putting the screws in the TB - the arms take a lot of force! If even a backless booster is expired and brittle, it runs the risk of not working properly.

MomToEliEm

Boosters are being redesigned each year to make them safer. Booster seats today do a better job at positioning the lap/shoulder belt on the child than many booster seats made 8 years ago. Also many seats have added improved side-impact protection.

Just look at the new IIHS booster rating article :
http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr090810.html
It's clear that some manufacturers are taking the ratings to heart. Harmony Juvenile Products has 5 BEST BET boosters, more than any other manufacturer. One of them, the Harmony Secure Comfort Deluxe backless, wasn't recommended last year. The company modified it to eliminate the earlier problem with lap belt fit.

From the IIHS ratings news release, it is clear that some manufacturers are trying to improve their seats. With booster seat expiration, those older, less safe booster seats can get removed from use. Without seat expiration, shield boosters might still be on the market. They were never recalled, but proved dangerous, so manufacturers stopped making them.

Booster seats do suffer from plastic degradation as the shell still needs to be strong enough to hold the seatbelt in place during a crash. Lost parts and instructions also are something that happen to older booster seats.

Booster seat expiration is probably a little less of an issue than with a harnessed carseat, but it is still something that should be followed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC