Britax Multi-Tech Installation problem

cd2010

Hello,

I have the Britax Multi-Tech for my 3 year old. I've read the directions thoroughly and still can not get the seat installed rear facing with the footprop at at 100 degree angle. I'd say it was about a 120 degree angle or so. I have a 2001 BMW 5 series. I put the swinging base against the back seat and position the seat so that it looks like the footprop will be at a 100 degree angle but the moment I tighten the seatbelt it pulls the seat forward ruining the angle. the seat is in rock solid though but I see that the correct angle is very important.

I see in a previous forum that someone mentioned a styrofoam wedge to get the recline. I seem to think that if I had something like that the seat would recline back more bringing the footprop to a 100 degree angle. Is this wedge used for that reason and is this something approved by Britax?

Any advice on how to get the proper angle? I can try to take some pictures to show you what I mean.

Thanks!

ADS

delgirrrl

Hi there, I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like you may need to change the order you're doing things in. Here's what I do:
First, shorten up the footprop so just hangs behind the seat.
Then, position the seat, and get the seatbelt through and tighten it up so it's all rock solid. Then position the foot prop. You lengthen it as much as you need to get it in place with the right angle. Then attach the forward anchors and tighten those. The indicator on the footprop should then be green. If this isn't helping, maybe take some pictures and post them so we can see what you mean. :)

Adventuredad

Good advice from delgirrl. Angle of support leg is not set in stone. We install all Multi Tech seats, actually all Swedish RF seats, with support leg and also leaning on front seat. Leaning on front seat just add to the already extreme safety.

Multi Tech in a BMW 5 should be a nice fit:)

Leche Mami

Angle of support leg is not set in stone. We install all Multi Tech seats, actually all Swedish RF seats, with support leg and also leaning on front seat. Leaning on front seat just add to the already extreme safety.

Quick question... I thought the MT manual says not to have it touching seat in front and specifies a 1cm gap.

cd2010

Thanks everyone! I will take some pictures. The seat is really rock solid but my angle is more of a 120 degree angle and the manual says to keep reinstalling until we get the correct angle. I never do and have actually been driving around for the past year like this. I came across this site so I thought I'd ask. I'll try to get some pics today or tomorrow. Thank you!

lenats31

here is my order of installing the multitech.

-route the svinging base forward.
-Put the seat into the car.
-release the footprop and let i run out as far as it will go. Then leave it.
-Open up the lock offs on both sides.
-Pull the seatbelt out and feed it through both belt guides underneath the covers.
-Tighten the seatbelt as much as you can.
- close both lockoffs make sure that only the hip belt goes into the lock off on the doorside. The shoulderbelt needs to be left out of the lockoff on that side.
- shorten the lenght of the footprop.
-buckle up the tether straps and pull them really good and tight.
- Now re-release the footprop and let it run to the floor
- Find the right angle of the footprop
- Make the footprop lock into place

DONE!

in this way, you´ll get a better recline angle and the install will be rock solid.

The front seat can touch.

Lena

Adventuredad

Quick question... I thought the MT manual says not to have it touching seat in front and specifies a 1cm gap.

Correct. This is likely to be changed. Installing the seat rear facing with both support leg and leaning against front seat is the safest installation and the way "professionals" do it. Maximum safety is found in front seat with deactivated airbag with Multi Tech using support leg and leaning against dashboard.

mhm69

This is likely to be changed. Installing the seat rear facing with both support leg and leaning against front seat is the safest installation and the way "professionals" do it. Maximum safety is found in front seat with deactivated airbag with Multi Tech using support leg and leaning against dashboard.

My car's owners manual tells that nothing should be put between front and rear seat touching the backrest of the front seat and if the rear seat backrest is folded it should not be touch the backrest of the front seat. This could impede the function of the Whiplash Protection System system.

Would you not have same issue if the seat is leaning against front seat?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Would you not have same issue if the seat is leaning against front seat?

A number of vehicles DO say that. I believe any late model Toyota will say it? It's interesting, however, that Volvo has active head restraints and occupant sensors and yet not only advocates for extended rear-facing, but also sells seats for their vehicles of which the primary benefit is extended rear-facing. I do trust Volvo, but if you have a vehicle that tells you that the occupant protection features in the front seats may be interfered with by installing a carseat against the vehicle seatback...it's definitely something to consider. In the end, the decision is yours--I'm not sure there's a lot of information out there on this?

It would be great to hear what AD or Lena have to say.

-N.

mhm69

This was actually from Volvo Owners Manual.

Volvo's safety features as such do not change the fact that extended rear facing is the safest way. No safety feature in car would prevent child's head being thrown forward in frontal accident, if the child seat is forward facing.

Knowing that Volvo and Britax do lot of cooperation, maybe this is the reason for Britax manual instructions to have 1cm gap?

Last edited:

Adventuredad

The reason for the "1 cm gap" reference in the Britax manual isn't exactly clear. It's been there for a long time but will likely be changed shortly. Britax does have the Two-Way Elite which is installed leaning on front seat or dashboard (says so in the manual).

It might simply be that Britax want people to use the support leg and feel like this is a good way of "forcing" parents.

We install all seats with support leg and also leaning on front seat/dashboard. This is very safe way to install a car seat. Leaning against dashboard (not possible in most US cars) would be even safer.

Extensive testing has been done in Sweden, UK and US regarding leaning car seat on seat in front. Nothing has been found which affect safety negatively for other passengers in the car despite presence of whiplash systems etc.

In addition to testing and research the Swedes has also been leaning rear facing seats on front seat since 1965 and have nothing but positive experiences.

lenats31

Letting the seat touch/lean on a structure behind it adds stability to the seat and lets the seat and child ride down the crash in a much more controlled manner. RF seats installed this way a much less likely to move in a crash, hence adding ride down time and reducing the crash forces.

Also, the Swedish seats are very different to the US seats. For one thing, seats are to be installed at an upright position. This alters the way that the child moves in the seat. instead f moving up towards the top of the seat, the child moves INTO the restraint, thus reducing the risk of head injury through head contact.

Here is a reply from a very experienced guy who has worked in the business for over 35 years:

http://www.sikkerautostol.dk/2010/09/isofix-vs-bilseleseatbelt/

On a side note. It has the side benefit of leaving more legspace and comfort for the passenger in the front seat.;)

Lena

Last edited:

lenats31

Airbag sensors, whiplash protection sensors or not. An RF seat that is not touching or leaning on a structure behind it, will slam againt front seat back in a crash instead resulting in more forces on that structure and I assume, I can include all sorts of sensors here.

I have writtten Britax in Sweden about this in the past, and the reply that I got was basically only that the TWE must lean on dash or front seat, because it lacks the floor support. The seat would slam into whatever is behind it in a crash if the seat is left free standing.

They gave no other explanation to the 1 cm gap for the MT and the instructions that apply to the TWE.

They also wrote, that having the MT in contact with the front seat was fine.

Hej,

Det viktigaste i monteringen är att de stolar som har stödben MÅSTE ha stödbenet i golvet. Att sedan bilbarnstolen (t.ex Hi-Way och Multi-Tech) har kontakt med framförvarande ryggstöd eller har avstånd gör ingen skillnad. Det är stödbenet som det viktigaste.

Skillnaden mot TWE är att den MÅSTE luta mot framförvarande inredning. Annars kommer den slå i t.ex. ryggstödet vid en eventuell krock.

Mvh

Göran Åsbrink

Britax Nordiska Barn AB

Hope you can have this translated

Lena

*HH*

It kind of annoys me that the manual says one thing and Britax themselves another..

Hi-Way was supposed to have a minimum distance from the seat in front or the dashboard and now all of a sudden it's ok for it to be leaning on the seat or dash.

I also think this just adds to the confusions of the people who're not as into car seats as many of us in this discussion are.

Adventuredad

I agree it's confusing. I know Göran well, he's a very knowledgable guy, and we have had this dialog a few times. We discussed this as late as this past weekend at the Barn & Baby convention in Sweden where Britax had a large presence.

Reason for the current language is to "force" parents to use the support leg.

Using the support leg and leaning against front seat or dashboard is preferred. Extensive testing has been done in Sweden and US and no negative side effects have been found. There has been no problems with any kind of indicators or sensors in the car.

Manual will be changed in the near future basically saying it's ok to lean against front seat or dashboard while using support leg.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC