What Minivan for Us?

Jonah Baby

My Mother is willing to work with us to get a more useful vehicle.
I will not consider another car.
Options are SUV with optional 3rd row, crew cab truck, or minivan. I'm pretty sure the minivan will win for many reasons.
I used to own a Grand Caravan. Not my first option, but I'd still happily do it again.

What van options would you look at that:
Can be found used, but newER in good condition,
fit carseats and kids well,
has good MPG for what it is,
and most maintenance can be done in the driveway without a lift?

Or, would you go for an SUV or truck?

For carseats we have a FR85, TF, MR, MA, and Wizard. We will most likely sell whatever doesn't fit best in the new vehicle.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A truck seems completely impractical. (Granted, I have one, but by necessity and it would never in a million years be my dirt choice for a family car.)

I'd look into a newer used Sedona. I REALLY liked the Sedona when we were shopping for a van. We got an Odyssey instead, and while it was great, I would have been at least as happy with a Sedona that would have cost MUCH less.

Jonah Baby

Hmm, a Sedona.
Never even thought of one. Will look those up.

Budget wise, we will be trading in my car and K's Runner.
This is estimated to get us around $7,500 to $8,500 trade in value. We expect to take a loan on the remainder with my Mom, but hope to not pay more monthly than she currently pays on my car. Not sure what number that brings us to there.
Let's say we can spend around $12,500 total. That's a nice chunk of vehicle.

Melanie

Definitely a Sedona. Get 2006 or newer. The older models aren't as safe or nice. The nice thing is they don't hold their resale value well. Not great if you're the first owner, but works well when you buy used. For comparison, I had Sedona before my current vehicle. I bought it at 8k miles, 6 months old for $14k. The Toyotas and Hondas I was looking at were $2-3K more, had 60k miles and were a few years older.

Would it be possible for you to sell your cars on your own? Especially the 4runner? A lot of times you get a lot more for it than by trading. I sold my Sedona privately for $7200. Trade in value was about $4000. Edmonds.com has lots of useful info on buying and selling.

Jonah Baby

How do Sedonas fit seats? What TA and LATCH would I get? Can I definitely get the FR85 in there? The damn thing is sitting in a box 'cause it won't work in my car, figures.

My car is still on a loan, so not sure how that even works (my Mom I'm sure does) but K's Runner can be sold either way. A dealer is likely to give him about $3,500-4,000 for it, where he could get around $5,000 privately, but it could take a long time to find that buyer since his truck is built for off-road purposes. Niche, ya know?
Whatever we get, we get for it. We are finally to the point where getting a different car is a possibility (thank God!) and K is willing to sell that damn truck to help us get there. I'm also to the point where I wanna stick a brick on this car's gas pedal and...so yea, we'll take whatever.
My truck...oh, my truck...will be the last to go.:( Looks like the plan is to sell it and use it as the down payment on a house next month (we got one lined up, wee!) A tad bitter sweet, but the house is obviously far more valuable in a lot of terms. My truck also deserves better than sitting in the corner of the driveway, not getting worked on and rotting away.

Lots of change coming, lots of letting go, but I think we'll all be able to enjoy it all soon!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
When you talk of trade-in values are you considering that the current auto loan will need to be paid off?

So if you get $4000 trade in on the car but you owe $3000 that will only give you $1000 worth of trade in value.

From your previous posts I know money is tight for y'all so I would cross a SUV/truck off your list so gas isn't so expensive.

4boysmom

When you talk of trade-in values are you considering that the current auto loan will need to be paid off?

So if you get $4000 trade in on the car but you owe $3000 that will only give you $1000 worth of trade in value.

From your previous posts I know money is tight for y'all so I would cross a SUV/truck off your list so gas isn't so expensive.

This. I am having a hard time figuring out how a month ?? ago you were looking at being homeless and worried about feeding your babies and now you are thinking you'll get a 12k vehicle and buy a house... We paid 8k for our 2002 Oddy which is more than enough "vehicle" for us. You have lots of less expensive yet very very safe vehicles, no need to get the most $$ thing you can "afford". No need to borrow $ from mom when good enough is very much good enough. You are young and just starting out, you don't need the next to newest vehicle out there :)

keri1292

I would get any safe minivan that I could pay in full. I would not take on another car payment.

We've yet to take on a car payment. Thankfully, as DH lost his job in May. It would be stressful to worry about losing our cars. :( We always bought the best car we could and it has been the best choice for us. If I were you, I'd be buying something like this http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/1947944459.html and start saving my money. :twocents:

Last edited:

MANDY1234

I agree no car payment :) or something under $200. If you do your homework and shop around enough you can get really good deals and still get what your looking for...

My fav deal in car shopping was getting a Kia Spectra for less than $8000 BRAND NEW!!! It was a model from the year before that no one would buy b/c it was a standard lol better lol

I am so happy that things are getting better for you!!! Keep going lady...things will only get better :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC